PVC dent (1 Viewer)

Nov 18, 2016
Monmouth
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Someone put a nice dent / crease into the side of my Forte when on a ferry in Sicily last year. I haven’t had an estimate for fixing it but I guess it will be expensive, particularly as it will presumably involve disassembling much of the kitchen area inside to get at it. It’s not prominent and I was wondering about leaving it and taking some hit on resale. How does the balance work between cost / loss?

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Bodywork place may be able to pull it out from outside and fill flush?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Enword

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Race van conversion for years
May be possible to pull it out from outside! Ethier stud weld or suckers (y)

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
As above, you’ll be quite surprised that it wont cost as much as you think, get a few quotes from some repair garages...

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
There’s quite a few vids on YouTube where people hold a few hairdryers over the spot whilst a couple of people bang the area with their hands and the dent just pops out .
Honest !
Have a look , it might be worth having a go of it’s not creased , just a dent.

wasp

Free Member
Dec 21, 2008
Warsop
Funster No
MH
None gone caravannin
Exp
If it is not too deep and it hasn’t lifted the paint a good body man would be able to pull it out

Aug 27, 2014
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
McLouis Tandy 640+
Exp
Since 2014
Is the paint broken? If not get a paintless dent removal man on it - they really do work wonders, I've a guy I've used 3 times now to get dents out of cars I've bought, he does a cracking job and it's cheap. He's just taken about 7 small dents out of a VW Touran that I bought for SWMBO, he's mobile and comes to me, £70 and just over an hour's work.

It's a skilled job to do properly. For what it costs I really wouldn't bother trying to do it yourself and risking more damage. The pro's have a big selection of tools on the ends of bent rods that they manipulate onto the inside of a panel, and then they gently dress the metal back into shape with a hammer on the outside, flowing it so gently the paint does not break. Fascinating to watch!

He took a dent out of the roof of a Ford Smax we had on an area where the inside was completely inaccessible - he glued special patches to the outside with a hot glue gun, attached a slide hammer to them and pulled them until they came off, then dressed the dent back in again. The repair was invisible once done.

This is the chap I've used, he only does the area around Shrewsbury but it's a franchise operation so you can look elsewhere for the Dent Wizard name. Their main customers are car dealerships, they take the minor dings out of trade ins before they go on the forecourt.

https://www.shropshiredentremoval.co.uk/

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
I did a course in paintless dent removal for the fun of it. I really enjoyed it and can do simple stuff.

You will be really surprised at what a good technician can do. The tools used reach from quite some distance plus they will drill wee holes to get the right tool to reach. Windows are good for access and leverage .

It’s better to get it done as most want a neat tidy van and so do dealers. Leaving them there can be taken for a don’t care attitude. I’m not dying you have that for a second though !!

Please do not mess with it yourself.

Pictures would help.

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
My sons just told me you can remove dents with a kettle of hot water and a plunger too , and shown me some videos on YouTube for that too.
It’s worth a go of either of my suggestions before paying someone.
It does look easy enough to do either one too.
If it doesn’t work pay someone to do it.

Feb 19, 2017
Leighton Buzzard
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Ten years
Is the paint broken? If not get a paintless dent removal man on it - they really do work wonders, I've a guy I've used 3 times now to get dents out of cars I've bought, he does a cracking job and it's cheap. He's just taken about 7 small dents out of a VW Touran that I bought for SWMBO, he's mobile and comes to me, £70 and just over an hour's work.

It's a skilled job to do properly. For what it costs I really wouldn't bother trying to do it yourself and risking more damage. The pro's have a big selection of tools on the ends of bent rods that they manipulate onto the inside of a panel, and then they gently dress the metal back into shape with a hammer on the outside, flowing it so gently the paint does not break. Fascinating to watch!

He took a dent out of the roof of a Ford Smax we had on an area where the inside was completely inaccessible - he glued special patches to the outside with a hot glue gun, attached a slide hammer to them and pulled them until they came off, then dressed the dent back in again. The repair was invisible once done.

This is the chap I've used, he only does the area around Shrewsbury but it's a franchise operation so you can look elsewhere for the Dent Wizard name. Their main customers are car dealerships, they take the minor dings out of trade ins before they go on the forecourt.

https://www.shropshiredentremoval.co.uk/

Dent men need access at the rear of the dent and line of sight to the dent on the outside. Therefore unless the dent is on a door, panel vans can’t usually be worked on.

Aug 18, 2017
Antequera, Spain
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 680 SP
Exp
5 years and still learning
Without a picture it's impossible to give an idea of a suitable repair method. Dings, dents, dishes, creases and folds, accessible from inside or not, every repair is different.
PVC's and vans can be repaired with access from the outside only, using adhesive or spot stud pullers. However with the insulation that is probably behind the panel of a PVC I would be very wary of using the spot stud method. I've seen what happens when the correct procedures are not followed, 12 vehicles and a bodyshop completely destroyed by fire in less than 30 minutes!
No, it wasn't me ...... honest :)

Last edited:

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
I wouldn't bother fixing a crease unless it was on an expensive vehicle / looked very obvious. I try and avoid prangs but if I get one (normally from cars parking too close etc), I don't get them repaired - it would only be a waste of money as there would be another prang the next time the other drive in our household takes the vehicle for a spin ;)

Aug 27, 2014
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
McLouis Tandy 640+
Exp
Since 2014
Dent men need access at the rear of the dent and line of sight to the dent on the outside. Therefore unless the dent is on a door, panel vans can’t usually be worked on.

Most of their work does use that line of sight but a panel van could be worked on - using the adhesive pad method I mentioned above, no access to rear of dent needed, the guy I've used did a roof dent for me this way. Depends on the technician concerned though, I suspect not all would be able / willing to do this.

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
we had a pretty large dent on ours and they pulled it using stick ons they couldnt use weld on pins without removing the insulation

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
The tools and method used relate entirely to the dent it’s size and it’s shape.

Shallow dents can often be sucked out or even pushed out by hand. Sharp creases or small dents with depth require tools. Then of course there are the endless variations in between .

This answers or advice to the OP are impossible and unanswerable without pictures.

Last edited:

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
I pull out my dents with stick on pads and with plastic use the heat gun to warm the plastic up a bit and it pops out. Dead easy when you know how.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back