PVC/Campervan (1 Viewer)

May 30, 2012
Bristol
Funster No
MH
PVC Vantage Neo
Exp
25 years
We downsized from a Bailey to an IH630RL, no regrets. We have been all over Europe even up to St Petersburg and here we are in Corfu. April our van has done very well but we are changing marques in March next year after 4 years and going for another PVC a Vantage Neo. In the meantime off to Spain and Portugal for a winter break.

Apr 12, 2010
Bury St Edmunds, West Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg Cara
Exp
since 2007
We downsized from N & B flair to an Adria twin 640 six. Love it to bits. Twin singles suit us. Shown with a toad. Don’t really need the toad but have it anyway.
Phil

Attachments

• 031027C4-50B9-4312-9844-6649EE72F0CB.jpeg
    031027C4-50B9-4312-9844-6649EE72F0CB.jpeg
    373.7 KB · Views: 73
Last edited:

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
.........but remind myself how easy to drive park and store it is.

We think the same @Charlie after our first trip out yesterday with the new van.

In future if we find a parking slot where we can push the rear of the van over a grass verge or something then we'll have cracked it without being a nuisance to anyone.

This PVC-thing is a very refreshing sport :xThumb:

20181208_140550.jpg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
We downsized from N & B flair to an Adria twin 640 six. Love it to bits. Twin singles suit us. Shown with a toad. Don’t really need the toad but have it anyway.
Phil
We still tow a scooter with our PVC, not because we need it but because we have had motorbikes or scooters for the last 54 years!:eek:

And we enjoy the two wheel experience!:xgrin:

Rolyan

Free Member
Jan 15, 2018
Funster No
In future if we find a parking slot where we can push the rear of the van over a grass verge or something then we'll have cracked it.

View attachment 271289
That’s what we always do. Never had a problem, whether supermarket, park and ride or at attractions. You quickly get your eye in and know where to look. Then it fits in a normal space.

Last edited:

Rolyan

Free Member
Jan 15, 2018
Funster No
I know others love their vans, but we think ours is ‘perfick’. Autosleeper Sussex Duo which has all the things we wanted (full cooker and oven, fridge, microwave, storage, shower, 2 large singles or a huge double, big wide open rear doors, etc etc etc) but really easy to drive and park.

We spent a long time looking and at one point considered a few coachbuilts, but we wouldn’t swap this for any other make or model. Love it.

Last edited:

Hilewaychile

Free Member
Oct 10, 2017
Very variable. UK and Spain are the loci
Funster No
MH
DIY Vaux Movano
Exp
10 years, on and off.
Hmmm. I see that I am not from Earth, Venus or Mars but some other universe entirely. My first, in 1972, was one of these but not even with a rising roof. Mine was beige.

It was a self build by a mate, mostly 3mm ply. I got rid of most of the interior and went on the road as Nation's Locations - Location Transport for photo shoots and vid crews. I packed that up when I realised I'd spend the rest of my life in prison if I so much as caused a 2mm scratch on the face of a model - loss of earnings and all that - as no H&R ins.

upload_2018-12-10_12-16-12.png

With said mate, we bought a proper van from Merc, a L4H3 409 and converted the interior as per a 9 seater executive jet - Merc gave us 9 aircraft seats someone had thrown away onto the roof of their office, inside the workshops. There was a galley and equipment storage in tha back 1/3d. It was too expensive to run - petrol engine - for jollies but by gum, lad! those location shoots were a gas!

Does one ever get blasé about 3-4 nubile young ladies skipping about in their smalls, doing their make-up etc? No!

And one time I had that nice Joanna Lumley sitting in the back of my van. And Jane Asher.

But the best gig of all was being hired by Island Records for a month's tour of GB as a 'cafeteria' for Inner Circle, a fantastic reggae band who had just come off supporting the Stones on a US tour. Every afternoon the percussion player, Black Spy, cooked up soul food for the band after the gig. Sadly, all photos of that van have gone AWOL.

Now I have 'Endeavour', a Vauxhall Movano aka Renault Master. It was on 185k miles when I bought it 5 years ago but I had the service book. It had spent its life trundling from Newport on the Welsh coast to Covent Garden flower market, 3x/week. An ideal life for a diesel motor - 600 miles round trip, almost all on the M4 at 60/65mph. It's on 230K now, mostly m/way Fr and Sp. Runs like a train, gives 33-38 mpg.

It had a caravan inside it, which I ripped out and threw away. I used it for 3 years as a removals van down to my new home in Valencia and now I am slowly making it into a camper. Just one single bed - a tubular steel 'daybed' from IKEA - 2 x 100W solar panels, 2 x 100AHr batteries controlled by a CTEC gizmo. Lighting circuits all in, with switch panel. Dometic fridge box - brilliant thing - plenty enough for 2-3 days chilled stuff + beer/wine. Sink/double drainer will be across the back, with utilities [gas/water etc] below. Double burner hob right, fridge left, in a U shape. No shower, P/potti ...

I have installed a domestic c/h rad full width across the rear of the roof. Painted matt black, this will supply hot water. After I painted it, propped up to catch the sun it was painful to touch. The water will indeed be hot ...

I know this rig would go down like a ton of bricks with most women but the principle purpose of this thing is to get me and my cameras to places where I can make wonderful photographs - that being my schtick.

The next biggie is getting it onto Spanish plates. I have come across a bloke 2 hrs south of VLC who has a biz doing nothing else but registering GB cars to SP. As he is ex-Royal Marines, as far as I am concerned he must be kosher.

It'll cost about 1100€ but the alternative - to throw away the RHD and all the work that went ito it, with about £800 of spark's wages, buy LHD and start again - not the best option.

Attachments

• Bed as bed and storage under.jpg
    Bed as bed and storage under.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 46
  • Bed and wall frames 01.JPG
    Bed and wall frames 01.JPG
    416.8 KB · Views: 48
  • 013 van stripped out 2 400.jpg
    013 van stripped out 2 400.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 48
  • 4 Interior from side door 400.jpg
    4 Interior from side door 400.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 52
  • Chicken casserole on induction hob.jpg
    Chicken casserole on induction hob.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 44
  • In HR garage.jpg
    In HR garage.jpg
    138.1 KB · Views: 44
  • interior layout plan 400.jpg
    interior layout plan 400.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 45
  • sink in posn.jpg
    sink in posn.jpg
    165.5 KB · Views: 46
  • solar panels installed with Sebastian Wilde 400.jpg
    solar panels installed with Sebastian Wilde 400.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 44
  • summer at Lowood 1000px (2).jpg
    summer at Lowood 1000px (2).jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:
Apr 12, 2010
Bury St Edmunds, West Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg Cara
Exp
since 2007
We still tow a scooter with our PVC, not because we need it but because we have had motorbikes or scooters for the last 54 years!:eek:

And we enjoy the two wheel experience!:xgrin:
We also carry a 200 cc scooter. Use it all the time. As we were buying a smart car anyway, this one came with an A frame. Only used it once.
Phil

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Todays the day...
Gone from our Pilote 650C
To IH 630 150 Bhp RL/RD

How much of a 'down-size' is that? - your lovely PVC doesn't look as though it's a whole heap shorter than the Pilote!

Nov 4, 2015
Waterlooville
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2011
:D Probably not in Length, especially with the Cycle Rack on the towbar. It is reduced in height and width however and it feels a lot different to drive. Certainly more stable. Once we get it home we will start the process of deciding what we need to put back into it. The Pilote had quite a large garage under the electric fixed bed. We kept the bikes in there which will now go on the back of the IH. Must say I am really impressed with the quality of finish. Can.t wait to get out and give a proper test.

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
I'm not sure what you guys are getting in terms of fuel economy but this PVC malarkey is certainly better on the wallet when it comes to refuelling. Our van mpg's so far:

1. 3.5T Highline E5 130 Manual: 25mpg.
2. 3.5T Low Profile E6 150 Maual: 28mpg.
3. 3.5T PVC E6 150: 33mpg.

Not bad figures.:xThumb:

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
I'm not sure what you guys are getting in terms of fuel economy but this PVC malarkey is certainly better on the wallet when it comes to refuelling. Our van mpg's so far:

Currently showing 31.7mpg but that is towing a scooter on a trailer. PVC with 12500 miles on clock.

Nov 4, 2015
Waterlooville
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2011

That mirrors my experience. My Pilote Low Profile 3.5T E5+ 130 was giving me around 27mpg from new and 3 years later had loosened up and I was getting between 30 & 31 mpg. I had resigned myself to having to go through the same process with my new IH PVC, 3.5T E6 150, but on my first long journey I achieved 35mpg, according to the trip computer. I was sceptical so topped up the tank again on completion and the actual calculation was exactly the same. If that is to be the norm in the new PVC then I will be more than happy.

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
There are some figures there guys. I wonder what I'll be able to achieve once the engine has loosened up a bit.

Aug 19, 2014
Cliftonville
Funster No
MH
A Class Burstner
Exp
Since 2014
We love our 8.0m coachbuilt but we are finding it limiting for accessing towns, car parks, certain routes etc

We are in the middle of trying to decide:-
- Keep it and get a Toad
- Get a smaller coachbuilt
- Get a PVC
- Get a caravan

Really hard trying to decide, but we have now discounted getting a Toad

Not agreed on any of the others.....

The Beauty Terrorist is concerned about the PVC due to lack of storage space, although I love the flexibility it provides. So any positive advice welcomed. ..

:xThumb:

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
We love our 8.0m coachbuilt but we are finding it limiting for accessing towns, car parks, certain routes etc

- Keep it and get a Toad
- Get a PVC
- Get a caravan

The Beauty Terrorist is concerned about the PVC due to lack of storage space, although I love the flexibility it provides. So any positive advice welcomed. ..

I don't envy you sir.

We had the same dilema earlier this year.

Nicky and I initially boiled it down to just two choices; a large Airstream or a Frankia 8400 Platin.

.........and we ended up with a Globecar albeit choosing the right PVC for us was not a simple task in all honesty.

In the end we decided that we wanted a more agile touring style to allow us to venture properly around the Highlands & Islands so that's what we did, i.e. went smaller and more agile and it's fantastic.

Good luck with your choice :xThumb:

Andrew

Nasher

Free Member
May 6, 2016
Pontardawe
Funster No
MH
Pug Boxer
Exp
Since 2013

- Keep it and get a Toad
- Get a PVC
- Get a caravan

Whatever you buy there will be a compromise.

So why not hire a small PVC & see how you get on. You may decide that or a bigger PVC will suffice. If not, try the other options...

Aug 19, 2014
Cliftonville
Funster No
MH
A Class Burstner
Exp
Since 2014
Aside from the storage concern in the PVC, one of things we love about our current coach built is there are no level changes in the cab/living area - the only step is at he island bed.

Any PVC’s without level changes in cab/living area?

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
My PVC has the 2 cab doors, the rear barn doors, and 2 swish-swish-bang sliding doors. Whichever way the weather's coming, I can have a door open. I have no worries about a door being caught in the wind. The doors are wide making the van easy to load.

Cheshirecat57

Free Member
Feb 3, 2018
Mid Cheshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years on and off
Thats why I was so taken with the Adria and it’s “ loft” feature over the cab

I could not stop banging my head on most of the others, and I’m not tall

Aug 19, 2014
Cliftonville
Funster No
MH
A Class Burstner
Exp
Since 2014
I guess we will just have to crack open a few more bottles of wine over the xmas break to aid our discussions/debate/thoughts/arguments on the most sutiable downsizing option.

:xgrin::xgrin::xgrin::xgrin:

tuscancouple

Free Member
Oct 8, 2007
Kent
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since 2007
Hmm, funny that the one thing that's happened a few times since we down sized from the RV is me banging my head! :xgrin:

Mick

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
I guess we will just have to crack open a few more bottles of wine over the xmas break to aid our discussions/debate/thoughts/arguments on the most sutiable downsizing option.

:xgrin::xgrin::xgrin::xgrin:

The funny thing about downsizing is that in our particular case we don't use any more/less space now than what we did previously when we had a bigger van.

Example: We would have a large living area in the previous van but still only sat in the captain's chairs when watching the telly - so, instead of losing any useable space we found that we were just losing the 'feeling' of space.

That said, we adjusted within a couple of days.

You need to drink lots of red wine first and then make a decision :xgrin:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back