Putting 'Anti puncture' stuff in the tyres. (1 Viewer)

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Greetings,

Having discovered that the 'van has to go on a slimming course, I was contemplating removing the spare and putting gunk in the tyres to help prevent punctures.
I appreciate that there may be an occasion when we might get let down, so to speak, but I'm prepared to accept that.
Has anyone out there done such a job and have there been any nasties that you didn't count on.

peter marshall

Free Member
Mar 5, 2009
Cleveleys,Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
9 Years
Hi
I had it in my last MH, but never needed to change a wheel so I can,t give an answer if it causes trouble if you need to change a tyre, but watch your breakdown Insurance some don't cover vans with no spare wheel. Pete

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Can you still get those metal ring thingees that go twixt the inside of the rim and the tyre? It sort of a "run flat" operation

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Emmit

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Can you still get those metal ring thingees that go twixt the inside of the rim and the tyre? It sort of a "run flat" operation
Those things are Tyron Bands. They dont stop you needing a spare.
They apparently stop the tyre coming off the rim when a punture, or even God forbid, a blow out occurs.
Even with them, we would still need a spare.
Thanks for comment Peter. I will look out the Breakdown Ins. Before I take the plunch.

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Hi
I had it in my last MH, but never needed to change a wheel so I can,t give an answer if it causes trouble if you need to change a tyre, but watch your breakdown Insurance some don't cover vans with no spare wheel. Pete
We had it in our camper and car; I used to get about 2 punctures a year due to the poor roads that I drove on. With the gunk in, I only had one and that was an inch long cut which leaked slower than without the gunk so we could slow down and get off the motorway safely. We will be putting it into our new mh once the new tires have been fitted.

Jim et Lou

Free Member
Oct 12, 2013
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
I am new to this
Dont use Gunk use SLIME. When you come to have a puncture repaired there is no problem it washes out with water. AA and RAC use it and so do I.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
My MH has no spare and was provided just with an electric pump and a canister of gunge which I didn't fancy much.

I have had the slime put in the tyres, and am now on the second set of tyres with it in. No punctures so far (touch wood). If the tyres need removing for any reason (I have had two duff valves), then I forewarn the tyre bloke as if its pushed off the rim without completely releasing the pressure it can redecorate the workshop. Also it is possible to keep the slime in the tyre even if the tyre is removed, with care.
You can do it yourself, I did on a trailer.

Charlie635

Free Member
Oct 11, 2014
Stockport
Funster No
MH
CI CARIOCA
Exp
1 Year
Seeing as most people call the rescue when they have a puncture, why not just carry a spare tyre,
this would save weight and should not invalidate your breakdown cover as it can soon be swapped over.

Bartyfixedit

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 11, 2014
Maidstone Kent
Funster No
MH
Self Build Ducato L4H3
Exp
Since 1987
To my knowledge you are not supposed to use tyre sealants as a preventative measure on a road going passenger vehicle. Look at the Slime website and read it carefully. You will see that for road vehicles it says for repair only. Others I have looked at say the same.
There is no problem using the sealant to reinflate a flat tyre for long enough to get you to the garage for a professional tyre repair.
Where there is a problem is if you run with it as a preventive which can mask dangerous defects in the tyre.
By all means carry sealant instead of a spare but don't use it all the time.

Cheers

David.

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
i have had this in my tyres for the past 2 1/2 years as i have no spare. it is good for a number of punctures in a single tyre, does not affect the tyre balance ( its a motorhome not an F1 car :rolleyes: ) can be washed out at tyre change. but nothing will compensate for tyre wall punctures. cost me around £50 for all 4 tyres with a local agent dispensing. although its a very simple task to DIY which i will do next set..(y)

musson

Free Member
Dec 25, 2013
grantham
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
since Jan 2014
I have been reading about puncture safe they say you dont need to have the repair done, anyone used this seems hard to believe

FJmike

Free Member
Jul 17, 2014
Swindon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
over ten years
I have used Puncturesafe in my Pilote A Class for the last seven years and was really pleased,but having recently suffered a second air leak from a wheel rim I'm not so sure. Most of the sealants like Puncturesafe are water soluble so I have a sneaky suspicion that it may have caused rust, hence the air leak from the rim. That is why I have now fitted ally wheels. As an aside I offer Puncturesafe as a service but will now only offer if ally wheels are fitted to be on the safe side

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
Had it in my last van but in fairness sold the van approx 6 months later and so can't really comment. There was no spare wheel in the MH and felt it was advantageous as only had the 'gunk and pump' kit. Would have had it injected in my new van but can't be used in conjunction with TyrePal valves, which I have fitted.

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
i use it! how do you know if you had a puncture if the tyre is repaired in motion, it dont go down! so wont know to get it repaired. :sneaky:;

Bartyfixedit

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 11, 2014
Maidstone Kent
Funster No
MH
Self Build Ducato L4H3
Exp
Since 1987
Interesting about puncture safe, it's the first one I've seen that doesn't say not for preventive use in passenger vehicles. I might have a look at that myself.

Bartyfixedit

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 11, 2014
Maidstone Kent
Funster No
MH
Self Build Ducato L4H3
Exp
Since 1987
From Slime's own website

24oz Tire Sealant

Use as a preventative/ repair measure in all NON-Highway vehicles

Use as a repair measure in Highway vehicles

• Seals multipule punctures repeatadly up tp 2 years.
  • Non-toxic.
  • Non-corrosive.
  • Non-flammable.
  • Non-aerosol.
  • Water soluble.

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
i watched a guy a a show do a demo and drive his van over a plank with qty 4 large nails in ( probably 5 - 6 inch ) he drove straight over the plank puncturing his tyre 4 times as he did so.... there was no "vissible" loss of pressure and he drove around with no problem. i visually looked over the tyre and that convinced me..... (y) so had it since:)

Ed Excel

Free Member
Nov 27, 2012
Ribble Valley
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Started 2007
I've had this in my tyres for about 2 years:
Broken Link Removed

There was an issue, at first, with front wheel balance. Adding the sealant caused the problem. I'd suggest having the balancing checked before adding the liquid, especially if it hasn't been done for some time, like mine. You can't have the wheels balanced after adding sealant, as I found to my annoyance.

Tyre fitters don't like the stuff, for obvious reasons.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back