Putting A Connection In A Hook Up Cable ? (1 Viewer)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
You're being over-sensitive to the comments in this thread. Most plastic-bag covered plug / socket joints I've seen around camp-sites (and building sites!) in wet weather have been half full of water and as such are extremely dangerous. Your method might be better than others but the point really is that provided the joint is clear of anywhere a pool might form it is safer to leave it uncovered than to seal it in a plastic bag. By all means cover it if you wish but leave the underside open so water can escape.
Really? You don't even know me! After we are all now more 'contented' on this thread and chatting to each other, you have to come on and put in your tuppenceworth, for what purpose I don't know, but you do have the right to your say of course.

I've had a load of 'criticism' for my suggestion and you come on and say I should purposely put a hole in the bag ... priceless! If you've ever been on any of the sites in France when there's been a torrential downpoor you'll know just how quickly the site can flood, and by quite a few inches, so leaving a joint unsealed is IMV rather silly ... you may think it is in a place which will not 'pool' but from experience it isn't always that obvious!

You do it your way and I'll do it my way and seal any joint completely (quality gaffer tape is a good way to ensure a watertight seal).

You're free to tell me how I'm feeling again though .... :)

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Here's my tuppence...:) Every year for the last 13 Christmases, I've lit up a large pine with three long strings of lights connected to a 4 way internal extension. The connections are protected by poly bags and gaffa tape. Normally this is a very wet time in Wales and come the 12th day the joints are always bone dry.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Here's my tuppence...:) Every year for the last 13 Christmases, I've lit up a large pine with three long strings of lights connected to a 4 way internal extension. The connections are protected by poly bags and gaffa tape. Normally this is a very wet time in Wales and come the 12th day the joints are always bone dry.
Wet ... in Wales ... never! :LOL:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
There's been electricity in Wales for that long? :D

Daveo2006

Free Member
Jan 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Apache 700
Exp
3 years
why give that advice when it is at best poor.. there is no depends on anything .. it's against best practice, common sense and IEE regs

and citing other potential hazards doesn't make an argument stronger..

Would it make any difference if it was an older van rather than a newer van ?:LOL: Just a thought as maybe things are a little more up to date regarding regulations on a newer van. Just saying.

Glandwr

Banned
Jul 10, 2014
the Berwyn Mountains
Funster No
MH
Hymer S740
Exp
since 2009
The absolute worst that can happen surely if water does evade all the wiles of man is that the supply trips, in the van and or at the EHU. Can't understand how this has taken 4 pages. :)

Dick

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
The absolute worst that can happen surely if water does evade all the wiles of man is that the supply trips, in the van and or at the EHU. Can't understand how this has taken 4 pages. :)

Dick
... because someone is worried in case the EHU bollard trip fails ... :rolleyes:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
People are killed every year by electric shock.. water and electricity do not mix .. and every precaution should be taken to keep them apart..
I only give sound advice.. based on my electrical knowledge and experience.. take it or leave it..

This three year old boy was killed when he touched an RV that was 'live' ... this was in the US where the mains is only 110v ..
This may have nothing to do with the thread, plastic bags included.. but it is a warning not to be complacent with electricity and motorhomes.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Back to page one. No need for a joint at all just good cable management. Surplus cable in a tangled knot is self inflicted.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
... because someone is worried in case the EHU bollard trip fails ... :rolleyes:

and you can personally guarantee that every EHU bollard on every camp-site in Europe is 100% safe, fitted with an ELCB, wired correctly and tested ? :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

thought not..

I've seen many that would make the hair on your neck stand up.. and that's before plugging in..

Safety devises fail.. that is a fact ..

There is another thread where someone has a 'live' sink.. :eek:

now how can that be if the motorhome is wired correctly and it's plugged into a bollard with an ELCB ?

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
and you can personally guarantee that every EHU bollard on every camp-site in Europe is 100% safe, fitted with an ELCB, wired correctly and tested ? :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

thought not..

I've seen many that would make the hair on your neck stand up.. and that's before plugging in..

Safety devises fail.. that is a fact ..

There is another thread where someone has a 'live' sink.. :eek:

now how can that be if the motorhome is wired correctly and it's plugged into a bollard with an ELCB ?
From the above statement, I'm surprise you ever dare plug in to an EHU bollard at all ...

We can all quote "what if" scenarios but if that's a worry you'd never do a thing ... in the big scheme of things there are more 'risks' every single day than what I do with an electric cable ... o_O

Anyway, I've spent enough time on this subject going round and round in circles so I'm off to have some fun on the forum. :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back