Free Member
Apr 21, 2015
Gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
A few years
Such a little thing. So clever, yet so devious. A trap for the unwary and the digitally challenged. It is the 'keyless entry' and starter button. So long as you have the key all is fine. Then you get a bit careless or overconfident as a key is never used. Leave the house, jump in car, press button, jump out of car, enter house, get key. You get the picture. Then there is the 'give the keys to your other half' scenario. Safely tucked in her bag, she is able to open the door and when I return to the car I can start it. I drop her off at home and go to collect grandson at school. You can see where this is going.
Grandson and I waited for neighbour to bring keys so I could start car by pressing the poxy button.
The latest imposition into my life of this devilish device is in consideration of an A-frame. Spent some time looking at different ones, amusing myself with the 6,342,531 different views on the forums then wondered how I would unlock the steering column when there is no keyhole?
This tiny gadget has found a way to push all my buttons!!

Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Still learning since 2010
Friend of mine who owns a few holiday parks has a Range Rover fitted with that kind of device.
One day he was going to go from Scarborough to Ripon with a serviced grasscutter in the trailer on the back of the Rover.
He was too busy so he sent his mechanic.
As you can guess, when he switched the engine off while he unloaded the cutter, he couldn't restart it to go home to Scarborough.
Another mechanic had to be dispatched with the fob thingy all the way to Ripon in another vehicle so that the first one could get home.
So if you want to pinch a Range Rover there is one that has a fob permanently hidden in it just waiting for you.
He is so well off that he would just buy another if it got nicked.

Nov 2, 2008
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
PVC, S&L Iveco
Exp
45 years
I think manufacturers have missed a trick here with regards to security. If the vehicle shut down when it went out of range it would stop the above happening in the first place but would also stop vehicles being hijacked as when they threw you out and drove off it would stop, mind you you would have to be a bit nifty on your feet to escape.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 23, 2016
Wales
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 660SP
Exp
25 years
I think manufacturers have missed a trick here with regards to security. If the vehicle shut down when it went out of range it would stop the above happening in the first place but would also stop vehicles being hijacked as when they threw you out and drove off it would stop, mind you you would have to be a bit nifty on your feet to escape.

That could be very dangerous if the fob battery was to go flat while you were on the motorway driving at 70mph!

As to the fobs, I found that it was just something new to learn and keep my aging grey cells alert.

I do wonder how long before Levis claim some sort of patent on a 'fob pocket?'
F9lpXqw.jpg

That they thought of and designed many years ago.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back