Puriclean in grey water tank? (1 Viewer)

Mar 8, 2021
Aberdeen, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Bessacarr E599
Exp
Hi folks,

I've just put Puriclean in my fresh water tank for the first time since owning the camper (135 litre tank) and I'll leave it soaking overnight and drain off, refill, drain off, refill, as per the instructions on the side of the container. However, my question is: My grey waste tank is a bit pongy and I've read about putting coke, etc, in there to clean it and get rid of the smell. But, if I run the puriclean from my fresh water tank into the grey tank and fill it, then leave it for the day, will that attack the smell, or is that a waste of time?

As always, I'm appreciative of any advice from those a bit longer in the tooth than myself.

Thanks,

Arron.

Nov 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Challenger 287GA
Exp
Since 2020
It certainly isn't going to do any harm. I often do this myself, but don't just let it sit there. Give it overnight in your grey tank to do a bit of work, and then go for a bit of a drive around to agitate the water and try to get it "slooshing" around the tank a bit to get rid of more gunk. Personally i throw in a couple of bottles of general purpose disinfectant as well at the same time.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
That's exactly what I do when I used to use it, although I now opt for citric acid, as less like bleach and can also be run straight into the grey tank.

Easier to rinse as well.

Be sure to get food grade. I did mine a few weeks ago and it cleaned the shower head quite nicely as well.
IMG_1508.jpg
IMG_1655.jpg

Wikky

Free Member
Aug 6, 2020
Cambridge
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Since 2003
Hi folks,

I've just put Puriclean in my fresh water tank for the first time since owning the camper (135 litre tank) and I'll leave it soaking overnight and drain off, refill, drain off, refill, as per the instructions on the side of the container. However, my question is: My grey waste tank is a bit pongy and I've read about putting coke, etc, in there to clean it and get rid of the smell. But, if I run the puriclean from my fresh water tank into the grey tank and fill it, then leave it for the day, will that attack the smell, or is that a waste of time?

As always, I'm appreciative of any advice from those a bit longer in the tooth than myself.

Thanks,

Arron.
That's what I do.

Oct 2, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 866f
Exp
Since 2014
Hi folks,

Thanks,

Arron.
That’s what I do. Open the taps and let it run through the pipes to the waste tank, then later empty that and repeat again on the rinse through etc. Thought everybody did that.

Nov 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Challenger 287GA
Exp
Since 2020
Were you making some sort of super chemical RubyOptics ? :ROFLMAO:

I'll give that a go, as it is a bit stinky.
You laugh, but......As some know, I served in RN submarines for over a decade. One of the problems is that when onboard, we all drink de-mineralised water as this is what we need to produce to feed the reactor. Anyway, one of the effects of drinking de-min is that it strips calcium from your body...this calcium then finds its way into the pipework of the boat and start to coat it in limescale. One of the stokers had been told to treat the JR's heads with some cleaner to reduce the limescale problem we were having. Being an enterprising young lad, this stoker thought he would clean the heads at the same time with some bleach.
10 minutes later the general alarm went off, the whole boat was on emergency breathing devices (like firemen's masks but plugged into a pipework supply that goes round the entire boat. Yes, he had gassed the entire forward section of the submarine with Chlorine gas. Which was nice!!

rich g

Free Member
May 29, 2014
Worcester
Funster No
MH
A/S Warwick
Exp
since 2013
I used coke also used orange squash to clean & rid smells in grey water tank. Now I use grey water tank cleaner much better than the other 2.

OP
OP
rnb100
Mar 8, 2021
Aberdeen, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Bessacarr E599
Exp
You laugh, but......As some know, I served in RN submarines for over a decade. One of the problems is that when onboard, we all drink de-mineralised water as this is what we need to produce to feed the reactor. Anyway, one of the effects of drinking de-min is that it strips calcium from your body...this calcium then finds its way into the pipework of the boat and start to coat it in limescale. One of the stokers had been told to treat the JR's heads with some cleaner to reduce the limescale problem we were having. Being an enterprising young lad, this stoker thought he would clean the heads at the same time with some bleach.
10 minutes later the general alarm went off, the whole boat was on emergency breathing devices (like firemen's masks but plugged into a pipework supply that goes round the entire boat. Yes, he had gassed the entire forward section of the submarine with Chlorine gas. Which was nice!!
I bet you got some stick for that RubyOptics

hja

May 8, 2020
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit Prim
Exp
Since 2019
I use a waste tank cleaner - cant remember what it is called. But also run the puriclean from the fresh tank into the waste tank. I run it through all the pipes, inc shower, to clean them

Caggsie1

Free Member
Sep 2, 2013
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2008
We use puriclean In the tank, however, we don’t drink the water. Cleaning the grey, about twice a year with a couple of bottles cheap cola. The real cheap but full fat cola. Close the waste tank, We put it in the morning we’re leaving along with water used that morning, the journey home gives it a good jiggle. Has worked everytime. We do have our waste tap open whilst in situ, going into a wastehog.

Last edited:
Feb 5, 2020
Crosby
Funster No
MH
Smileo 202
Exp
Was a Newbie but getting the hang of it now.
We used bio washing pods in both the cassette instead of "Blue".
One in the grey on a trip home- drain the grey when arrive back = fresh and clean grey tank.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back