Purchase a Vignette from Sanef Tolling uk. (1 Viewer)

Nov 15, 2017
Funster No
Hi, We are off the France/Spain in Mid March on our first trip abroad. Has anyone had any dealings with Sanef Tolling purchasing a Vignette 't' tag for use on French Toll roads? Any suggestions or help would be welcomed. Thanks.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
You don't "need" anything for France other than cash or credit card if you go on the toll roads, you don't have to use them of course.

If you want a method of automatic payment it would be a sanef toll tag as vignettes are something different and for use in the likes of Austria on vans below 3.5t, is you van class 2 for tolls, as in less than 3.5t under 3 metres and two axles.

Martin

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
duplicate post deleted

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Are you aware you can travel many dual carriageways/motorways that are toll free!

You may find the following helpful, it will certainly reduce your travelling costs.

Firstly, routes and route maps for France and Spain. This first link is an award winning database about France. It’s big and with a host of information on best routes to many locations. I have selected the famous N10 route from Calais to Irun which is used by many motorhomes when travelling to Spain. It’s almost Toll free (more on that a little later) and almost all duel carriageway from start to finish with the exception of about 100 K. This route is great for motorhomes small, medium and large. Note: (HGV’s are not allowed on French roads, Sunday’s, so plan your journey over a weekend if possible).

https://about-france.com/tourism/no-tolls-routes.htm

Tolls: We avoid the toll road from Calais to Abbeville and save 12.50 Euros. The non-toll route is quite scenic and fairly straight forward, between Boulogne-sur-Mer and Abbeville.

At Abbeville, join the A28 and cross the river Sein at Rouen. We take the second exit immediately after crossing the bridge (about 50 m past the first exit at the end of the bridge), swing down and under the bridge you have just crossed and continue on this road and join the A13 motorway until the N154 which takes you down to Evreux. (Note: there are a number of different options for getting through Rouen and no doubt other members will have their own preferences. We find this very straight forward on both outward and return legs). Approaching Tours on the D910 join the A10 toll road at Jct. 19 and exit at Jct. 23. This will take you through the city via the toll road, (about 2.50 euros). At Jct. 23 take the exit lane for Montbazon which returns you to the D910. (Reverse for the return leg). That’s the last toll to pay until you hit the bottom of the A63 after Bordeaux.

To save toll fares on the A63 south of Bordeaux please read the route recommendations in the above link. Do not come off the A63 near the bottom as all roads will be heavily congested and it’s worth paying the last few tolls. (Fuel costs approx. €126.72. (Based on 1056 K @10K per Ltr. @€1.20 per ltr. 3.5T motorhome)). This route is also recommended during winter, due to its proximity to the Atlantic ocean, which means little to no problems with ice and or snow, unlike using the A75 to cross the Massif Central. Although the A75 is quickly cleared, it is advisable to have winter tyres fitted and there may be some small delays due to snow ploughs clearing this route.

If heading to the Mediterranean side of Spain, it’s worth taking the N121-A to Pamplona after crossing the Spanish boarder on the A63 at Irun. It’s clearly sign posted (Large white sign) about 300 m after passing through the last toll booth and crossing the river. You will find more details in this link for the N121-A and how to navigate Spain toll free.

https://about-spain.net/travel/no-tolls.htm

If you decide to pay Tolls in order to save time getting to Spain, your best route options are in this link.

https://about-france.com/tourism/routes-to-spain.htm

Should you choose to plan your own routes anywhere in Europe and also establish Toll costs, (or toll free costs) use this link. Under route options, select caravan then select toll roads. Toll costs for a class 2 motorhome will be calculated for the whole journey. You can also choose Non toll routes and other options. This is currently one of the best online free route planers.

https://www.viamichelin.co.uk/

As for stop overs on routes, you can’t go wrong using the App below which is free but I would recommend getting the paid version for about £6.00 which you can then use off line. You will find numerous places to stop along the above route and I have deliberately not made any recommendations so drivers can make their own choices. This app is also brilliant for finding other places too and highly rated by many users.

https://www.campercontact.com/en/content/app

There is another popular app/website that is used which you may also find useful if you’re doing a lot of wilding and looking for free overnight stops. It too is used by many motor homers in Europe. Get the paid version to use off line for around £9.00

https://www.park4night.com/

Finally, probably the best off line maps ‘App’ and used by many. It also includes a sat-nav function which is quite good and can also be used off line. Again many motor homers use this, especially in Morocco.

Broken Link Removed

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
The sanef toll tag is brilliant if you use toll roads as you can drive through the 30km Lorry lanes without stopping and billed monthly on you bank account.
It should be said that you can travel through France toll free as well it depends what you want everyone to their own

Last edited:
Oct 21, 2017
Funster No
Yep, another thumbs up for sanef, used it for car and motorbike and will be using it soon for the moho. I seem to remember reading that if you have a billing issue they have a call centre in the UK so no language issues.

Aug 14, 2013
Département 87
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since about year 2000
Please note, @PhilandMena has put a fuel cost of 1€20 / litre. However, since 1 January, there has been a hike in the price of "carburants" of about 15 centimes. Hence, the lowest price I have found around here since then is at Cora, just off the A20 junction 30, at 1€36 / litre.

Just warning folks.

J

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Looks like I need to update that fuel cost. Though as you can see from latest prices it's up and down considerably depending where you purchase from.
City Europe Calais 1.25 today. Still higher than I expected elsewhere though.
https://www.prix-carburants.gouv.fr/

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2015
lake district
Funster No
MH
low profile mh
Exp
Since 2015
Hi, We are off the France/Spain in Mid March on our first trip abroad. Has anyone had any dealings with Sanef Tolling purchasing a Vignette 't' tag for use on French Toll roads? Any suggestions or help would be welcomed. Thanks.
We are a vote for sanef. Makes life so much easier for a small costs. We got ours via CMC at a small reduction

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
I got my tag from ATMB works at tolls the same as Sanef but charges are less. We wish we had got one years ago.

Sep 12, 2016
Chesterfield England Tellus 3
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
6 years
We got a tag from a link on Eurotunnel as afreebie - that is not inital fee
the advantage you drive through a toll booth the tag goes Beep and the barrier goes up so you don't stop or queue up to pay
you get the bill the month after not the end of the month the end of the NEXT month

getting two this year but one will be for Spain and Portugal and one for France unfortunately can't get one for all three unless they have introduced one very recently

There are some folk who absolutely HATE Autoroutes but when you need to get from A to B with minimal gear changes and with ease of saving my spine the pain of 5-6 hours driving by using Autoroutes for 3 hours

Sep 12, 2016
Chesterfield England Tellus 3
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
6 years
Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
We've just ordered the ATMB one for France thanks to @Riverbankannie and the sanef one for Spain. It was something that Nick really really hated so thought we'd do it. I tried to do Bipandgo for both as it was cheaper than Sanef but you ended up having to follow a link to the sanef page. I think you had to have a french phone number. Waiting for their arrival. We got the French one as although we are booked on the Santander ferry i thought I'd be ready in case it was cancelled due to bad weather.
If you are in the Caravan club tgere is a £10 discount for sanef.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
I have read that the Sanef tag works in France, Spain and Portugal. Is this correct and does it cover all toll roads in those countries, including the Portuguese electronic only toll roads that you usually have to register for at the border? Does that also apply to the tags issued by the other French motorway companies, such as ATMB?

BTW you can get the Sanef one free (no E10 initial fee) from Eurotunnel if you have a reservation with them or a frequent traveller ticket.

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
I have read that the Sanef tag works in France, Spain and Portugal. Is this correct and does it cover all toll roads in those countries, including the Portuguese electronic only toll roads that you usually have to register for at the border? Does that also apply to the tags issued by the other French motorway companies, such as ATMB?

BTW you can get the Sanef one free (no E10 initial fee) from Eurotunnel if you have a reservation with them or a frequent traveller ticket.
The spain \portugal tag is different from the French one. You can order both from the Sanef website, Not sure if you can order both from ATMB as I didn’t need one.

Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
The spain \portugal tag is different from the French one. You can order both from the Sanef website, Not sure if you can order both from ATMB as I didn’t need one.
Thanks, I have just checked. It seems Sanef have 2 different tags and pay separately for each. ATMB only do France. I suspect we will do what you have done and get an ATMB one for France. We will then order a Spain and Portugal one from Sanef via Eurotunnel. Do ATMB use a credit card to pay or do they do direct debit?

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
I set up my account with my zero charges credit card. You get an online account and you can examine your current and past statements in detail at any time. They didn’t take the initial deposit and postage payment for about 6 weeks until it had appeared on the first statement which confused me slightly. I have my credit card set up to pay off full balance every month.

May 4, 2015
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2000
We have changed from 2.9 high to 3.05, unfortunately size does matter. We were allowed straight through the Peage at Bolougne with our Sanef tag, but it would not let us through at Abbeville, I ended up having a discussion with an anonymous soul on the speaker, she would not relent and we ended up paying. Husband has suggested pulling up prior to the Peage and dropping the suspension, but I think that would cause chaos.
I have not yet managed to find a tag for over 3.m high.

Sep 22, 2009
nottingham
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
5 years
Am I right in thinking that the tags can be transferred between car and M/H? On our trip down we were class 2 every time so have decided to get a tag when we return to England. But, have just been asked to go with family for a short trip to France ,by car ,so wondering if it would be sensible to get tag earlier.(before next winter trip)

Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Am I right in thinking that the tags can be transferred between car and M/H? On our trip down we were class 2 every time so have decided to get a tag when we return to England. But, have just been asked to go with family for a short trip to France ,by car ,so wondering if it would be sensible to get tag earlier.(before next winter trip)
Yes you can. If the vehicle is less than 2m high you will charged at class 1 rather than class 2.

Sep 22, 2009
nottingham
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
5 years
Thanks for that , will apply for one when we get back there is about 2 months from return to going in car so that should be plenty of time for delivery

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
We have changed from 2.9 high to 3.05, unfortunately size does matter. We were allowed straight through the Peage at Bolougne with our Sanef tag, but it would not let us through at Abbeville, I ended up having a discussion with an anonymous soul on the speaker, she would not relent and we ended up paying. Husband has suggested pulling up prior to the Peage and dropping the suspension, but I think that would cause chaos.
I have not yet managed to find a tag for over 3.m high.
That sounds very similar to one of our issues, allowed us through on one end but wouldnt on the exit and our MH is 2.90 officially so not sure if it is tripping the 3m rule as there is a tv aerial on the roof but it is down / folded and looks to be level with the top bars on the roof unless the roof bars are not counted in the height which i would of thought they would be. The spanish and portugal toll however worked flawlessly on every toll.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
We would be less than 3m without the kayaks and over 3m with them!.

In Eire we always went through the manned barrier and were always charged as a small van. Maybe they ignored the kayaks. The Dublin ring road is like the Dartford crossing and we paid in advance at a motorway service area. They took out reg no and the toll came up on their system. We only used the Eire tolled roads when it was sensible to do so and they are fast and well maintained.

Deneb

Free Member
Oct 20, 2015
Europe
Funster No
MH
PVC
Another vote for ATMB - cheaper than Sanef and works exactly the same (y)

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
I recently lent my tag to daughter and SIL for their car on trip to France, worked for them and lucky for them I paid the bill!

ATMB tag came with two clips but knowing I would want to transfer between more than two vehicles we attached one clip to a sucker from diy store and use that for easy transfer. One clip permanently stuck to MH windscreen.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back