sheddy2001

Free Member
Jul 20, 2017
hull
Funster No
MH
swift escape 685
Exp
what do most people do in case of a puncture as my dad is contemplating getting a spare wheel and hanger for it supplied for a swift escape

D

DL42846

Deleted User
We carry a spare just in case. But I always make sure my tires are in tip top condition and at the recommended pressures to minimize the chance of a puncture. I have a friend who runs a recovery business. Most of his call outs to MH are for punctures and no spare.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Emergency repair kits are exactly that...for emergencies..... and are NOT a permanent repair.
Many garages won't touch a tyre containing repair slime so a minor puncture could mean a new tyre.

May 22, 2015
Wem Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago E Line 51QB
Exp
Been getting away since 2008
IMG_0614.JPG
I carry a repair kit to save on weight, just like this one.

I know it won't repair a sidewall but ADAC are only a call away

D

DL42846

Deleted User
View attachment 175894 I carry a repair kit to save on weight, just like this one.

I carried a repair kit very similar to that, but over the last ten years I have had three punctures where the tire has completely shredded to pieces.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
If not on a motorway i change it,,,Busby,,

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
Just a reminder to those with Alloy wheels and carry a steel spare, check that the bolts on the alloys are suitable for the steel spare. I know from experience that they may be too long.

Neckender

Free Member
Oct 15, 2007
Neckend or North Wales.
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1Kombi day Van
Exp
Since 2004
We have a spare but also had the puncture preventative goo installed in the tyres at Peterborough show.

John.

makems

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2011
Ingleby Barwick,,Teesside
Funster No
MH
Sadly had to give up
Exp
2010-2017
Can of gunk wont fix anything except a slow puncture. It certainly wont fox a tyre when it blows on the motorway as ours did in Spain a few years ago (apologies to those who have seen this photo before)

IMG_0335.JPG

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
View attachment 175894 I carry a repair kit to save on weight, just like this one.

i know of a tyre that had one of them fitted into it in 2008 and is still working .
but its only temporary as next year the tyre will be worn out . it was only a couple months old when it got repaired.
mind i carry two spares for my truck and two spares for the trailer. never know when you might need a spare.
never mind the green slime . , spare tubes , puncture patches , big gaiters etc .

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I'd definitely go down the spare route if it can be accommodated but often there isn't room underneath to put a carrier so best he has a check underneath first.

SandraL

Free Member
Jan 24, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Hymer b694sl
Exp
Since 2012 + Caravanner for 20+ years

Just back from france where small country garage removed bolt from tyre and put temp plug in as above. Tyre was flat. It lasted 600 ish miles and then was flat again. The plug had come out. Took wheel to proper tyre place, on removing tyre from rim found that rim had ground away at inside of tyre making tyre useless.
So temp plugs are just temporary. If tyre has been flat then an internal inspection is a must. Tyre place had tyres in my size but only a 115 load rating, not heavy enough for me. Second tyre place had no tyre either so came home with no spare tyre.
Luckily when i changed wheels it was on quiet side roads.

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
In France they will fit you two matching tyres if one is knackered so very expensive wine,,BUSBY:D2:D2

They say the same in Belgium but breakdown guy fitted our spare without even looking at the other side and it was different

Joe

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
They say the same in Belgium but breakdown guy fitted our spare without even looking at the other side and it was different

Joe
I think by 'fit' he meant when you bought from the garage that's fitting, not one that you already own.

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
One of the "must haves" on my buyer's checklist was a full size spare as standard. Too many new MHs omit this.

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
what do most people do in case of a puncture as my dad is contemplating getting a spare wheel and hanger for it supplied for a swift escape

How fit is your Dad? These are big and heavy wheels and lifting up and down from under the van is not easy.
Also I would not contemplate changing an offside tyre ever, that's what breakdown insurance is for.
Therefor I don't carry a spare.

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
How fit is your Dad? These are big and heavy wheels and lifting up and down from under the van is not easy.
Also I would not contemplate changing an offside tyre ever, that's what breakdown insurance is for.
Curious but how will a breakdown company help you at the roadside if you don't have a spare.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Curious but how will a breakdown company help you at the roadside if you don't have a spare.
We always took the flat tyre and the member to the nearest repair garage.
Once fixed, put back on the vehicle.
Far easier and quicker than loading the disabled vehicle and recovering to a garage.

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
Far easier and quicker than loading the disabled vehicle and recovering to a garage.
Assuming that the tyre is not knackered, that it happens during a time that a suitable garage is open.
Far easier to use a spare wheel and be on your way.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
There's no way on earth that we would go on holiday without a spare wheel, especially to the out of the way places we visit ... we'd end up stranded for days especially it if was a place where we had no internet or phone signals!!!

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp

Would not be much good on Bastille day or a sunday in France,,,nowt open,,BUSBY:D:D

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp

Not an easy job as you get older but i managed ok this year in Spain,,Took me a while though,,,Would not want to do it on a main road but probably still quicker than waiting for a breakdown truck,,BUSBY:):)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back