Nov 6, 2013
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B574DL
Exp
Since 2011 (tugger for 20 before that)
Hi all,
I have just filled my fresh water tank ready for a trip at the weekend to check things out after the winter.
The pump runs, some water spits out but doesn't actually run.
Am I correct in assuming the pump needs priming after the winter drain Down?
If that's the case how do I go about it?
Would appreciate any advice.
John.

Wickolad

Free Member
Sep 10, 2013
Wickersley
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Newbie to MH, 20yrs+ Caravanning.
Also worth just checking the drop valve has been closed again following the drain down. I've forgotten a few times. :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Baycott
Nov 6, 2013
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B574DL
Exp
Yes I have run the cold and hot taps for 3 or 4 mins and it is still starting rather than running.

OP
OP
Baycott
Nov 6, 2013
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B574DL
Exp
Also worth just checking the drop valve has been closed again following the drain down. I've forgotten a few times. :)
I did forget it but have now closed it ..................no change.

Wickolad

Free Member
Sep 10, 2013
Wickersley
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Newbie to MH, 20yrs+ Caravanning.
I did forget it but have now closed it ..................no change.
Probably an airlock, I usually try the tap on cold nearest the pump first to get it pulled through then to hot then on both and work back to the furthest, leaving the closest running and so on. Seems to work ok that way for me. As said, sometimes it can take a couple minutes but once its through the closest tap, others clear pretty quickly.

K9Brian

Free Member
Aug 2, 2010
South Manchester
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since April 2010
If that doesn't work it might be air being drawn into the system. Check filter bowl in case it cracked over winter and check all joints in the pipe run.

davejen

Free Member
Aug 21, 2008
Preston
Funster No
MH
Given up travelling
Exp
Since 1992
Open ALL the taps including the shower if fitted, we normally turn each between hot and cold, eventually they flow as they should. Just takes time, so be patient!.
Cheers, Dave(y)

Sep 2, 2012
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
I would agree with davejen but would add that as water starts to flow through a tap then close it. Also don't forget to purge the toilet, that is assuming it the same as ours.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I would look at the bowl on the filter if it has a very smALL CRACK IN IT IT WILL DRAW IN AIR AND NOT GIVE A GOOD FLOW IT MIGHT ALSO LEAK IN THE CUPBOARD (oops hit the caps key by mistake)

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
In our Bessie, there was an order to do the taps to get rid of the air. The shower and bathroom sink were the same tap (on a long hose) and that was the first tap, after that had coughed spluttered and was running, the kitchen worked immediately. If you forgot and turned the kitchen one on first, not much joy.

In the Pilote the kitchen one is closest, so it's that one first.

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
On my instructions it says to run the furthest hot tap from the pump. Check that the dump valve near the boiler is closed, and if there are any other drain taps. The boiler holds approx 10 litres so you may have to run it for quite a while. Then the next nearest. When done, repeat with cold taps.
If this doesn't work, empty whole system and try again.
Hopefully something simple like an air lock. Good luck.

OP
OP
Baycott
Nov 6, 2013
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B574DL
Exp
Well, I have now tried all suggestions :Eeek:
Made sure no cracks in filter bowl, drain tap off, open furthest tap first, nearest tap first all to no avail. There are no leaks anywhere.
Pump still runs fine but water spurts out of the tap.
When all taps are closed the pump continues to run and the system won't pressurise although when a tap is opened after this there is obviously pressure there as water spits out fiercely.
Any ideas guys (and gals)?

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
Does yours have microswitches on the taps or an in line pressure switch. What you describe sounds like my caravan did when the pressure switch needed adjustment. In the caravan it was a small plastic thug I had to turn to get just the right flow.

OP
OP
Baycott
Nov 6, 2013
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B574DL
Exp
Does yours have microswitches on the taps or an in line pressure switch. What you describe sounds like my caravan did when the pressure switch needed adjustment. In the caravan it was a small plastic thug I had to turn to get just the right flow.
It is a pressurised system so I don't think there are microswitches on the taps.
I don't know of an adjuster or where it would be.
I am beginning to wonder if diaphragm is damaged???

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
It is a pressurised system so I don't think there are microswitches on the taps.
I don't know of an adjuster or where it would be.
I am beginning to wonder if diaphragm is damaged???

is the pump running smoothly or can you detect a pulse in its noise.

On the caravan the adjuster was in the very first bit of pipe where the pump connected to the van. I wouldn't have found it without the user manual.

Diaphragm is definitely possible but beyond my knowledge to help with unfortunately

OP
OP
Baycott
Nov 6, 2013
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B574DL
Exp
is the pump running smoothly or can you detect a pulse in its noise.

On the caravan the adjuster was in the very first bit of pipe where the pump connected to the van. I wouldn't have found it without the user manual.

Diaphragm is definitely possible but beyond my knowledge to help with unfortunately
Thanks for your suggestions @mjltigger
Yes pump is running smoothly but just seems to be dragging air in from somewhere. When I run the hot tap there is all sorts of gurgling in the boiler.

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
if you have acces to a hose pipe try back feeding itb switch off pump connect the hose to one tap and have all other tapswhen all taps are passing water turn of or diconnect the hose before shutting all but one tap and switch pump back on connection to tap doesnt need to be total just holding it there will do your just trying to fill system

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
Hi
With ours--------I switch pump on with ALL taps off-----leave pump running a few minutes------crack one tap a little to let air out then close-----just repeat this until only water comes out-----then open--and close all taps until whole system is bled-----always works for us.
Nigel & Pamala

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
If it is the same on hot and cold probably an air leak before water enters the pump or it would pump out water not suck in air

wingman

Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Exp
Since 2012
@Baycott John,

Forget the taps for a mo'. Can you get access to the first union or joint after the pump? They are normally all push-fit joins these days and easy to remove. If there's a straight connector or an elbow after the pump, remove the plastic water pipe from it and see if you get a nice flow (you will need a few towels at the ready, or a bowl).

I'm sure you know that push-fit connectors have 'collar' where the pipe enters. Push this collar towards the connector until it's flush with the connector and pull on the pipe. The pipe will pull out and free. Be careful, because they need a few 'newtons' and when it gives, you can whack the back of you hand!

Give the pump a run. If you get a smooth flow into your bowl, then in isn't a pump fault. If it spits, then it's air, or the diaphragm (or insufficient water in the tank!)

Attacking it this way, at least then you know where the probs lie without having to diagnose via the whole system.

Good luck,
James

OP
OP
Baycott
Nov 6, 2013
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B574DL
Exp
@wingman Thaks James,
Did as you said and after a splutter it flowed properly.
All reassembled and checked and working fine. I think it may have been a badly fitting screw joint on the pump which was letting in air.
Thanks to everybody that helped it is very much appreciated :notworthy2::notworthy2:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back