Pulled By the Police today (1 Viewer)

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I don't know if anybody else has experienced this but in the past few weeks both 'er indoors and I have received letters telling us that as our photo licences are 10 years old we have to renew them:Sad:
No problem they say, if you have a passport less than 5 years old it can all be done on line and they'll use the photograph on your passport.
So what I hear you say, they charged us £20 each:Angry::Angry::Angry:
What happened to licences lasting until the age of 70? I'm pissed because I'll hit that barrier before the current licence runs out.
But at least they didn't mess with the groups I can drive,yet

It probably makes sense with a licence with a photo on. Your appearance does change as you get older (seldom for the better :Sad:)

OP
OP
M
Jul 28, 2010
The world
Funster No
MH
Small car
Exp
If you have converted to a photocard license it may be worth checking you still have the entitlement and also check the expiry date.

Something is tickling the back of my head that grandfathered rights can change when you get photocard type license. Can't remember where or what I saw so no details sorry. The expiry dates and catagories are on your license worth looking...
A few years ago there where reports that DVLA had made mistakes when issuing the new photo card and omitted the correct groups to drive this meant that many people where no longer legal to drive the other groups
DVLA where denying any wrong doing but had to retracts that and other bloody mess up with no accountability on tax payers expense

you should all check the photo card and paper counter sheet to ensure you have the rights on the silence to drive the groups C1+e D1 and any other

they mack the mistake you loose out
and have to take the test again and pay the costs

I photostat both [parts of mine just in case i need to prove the original

you can not beat the system :Eeek:

OP
OP
M
Jul 28, 2010
The world
Funster No
MH
Small car
Exp
copy of thread on RVOC
Sorry, I have a life other than RV's. I work in the North and live in the South East so there's a six hour journey each way - Friday night one way and Sunday afternoon the other. This week I found the Agency had paid into my savings rather than my current account. This took three hours in the Bank to sort out.

On to Strategy. Firstly this morning I have written to Mike Penning MP who is the Under-Secretary of State for Transport which a specific responsibility for Better Regulation. I expected a stupid reply from the DVLA so no surprise there. Mike has been pushing the DVLA to give me a clear response and as the DVLA have now done that Mike should be given the courtesy to look into the matter further.

My strategy is to also write a letter to the Rt Hon Justine Greening MP who is the Secretary of State for Transport. I will outline my findings directly to her.

Something to note - The European Directive I have mentioned only became Law at the beginning of April. There is still the issue of Inherited rights which cover the "more mature" of us. The DVLA have stated in their documentation they provide about the new European Licences that Inherited rights still apply. Ring DVLA if you want a copy of this documentation - they will send it for free.

Onto the issue of claiming against DVLA for unnecessary tuition and tests - yes, I'm already on that one but want to collect all the bullets first. Think about it - If you're going to go for someone don't get one bullet, put it in a gun and shoot - you might miss. Save your bullets, get a machine gun and mow the mother down.

My approach on the legal action is to make a claim in the Small Claims Court. It's quite easy and will cost around £350. The beauty is that in the case of a person against an organisation the hearing, if defended, is to be heard near to where I live and not the DVLA. I live near Felixstowe and they are in Wales. Think about their costs in defending the action!

It's all about strategy. Take time, trap them.

All the best,

Jane

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
driving license

I looked at getting a new photo license realised they wanted me to pay £20 and that it only lasted 10yrs, so didn`t bother and won`t change until they make it law that my old paper license is no longer valid.
Though I always thought you had to keep your old paper one running along side the new photo ones.

Billy23

Free Member
Feb 10, 2012
On a planet...far, ....far away.
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On and off 1995
hi you passed before 97 so can drive up to 7,500kg gvw.
but a motor home does carry goods .your goods (clothes food ,tools etc )but not for hire and reward . thats why you get phgv tax if over 3,500kg and need a c1 licence to drive over 3,500kg gvw vehicles .

Worth pointing out that the day you become 70 years of age you have to renew your licence and you are automatically down graded to 3.5 ton and have to take a medical to reinstate to 7.5 ton.

TheHat

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 26, 2012
thurrock
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
since 2012
A few years ago this was happening in the entitlement for a full licence to ride a motorcycle. There were recommending that you photocopy your licence before sending it all off. I seem to remember some riders being forced to retake the test.:Doh::Doh:
yep i had to retake my motorbike test again not happy then and now photocopy everything before i send for replacement/renewal

OP
OP
M
Jul 28, 2010
The world
Funster No
MH
Small car
Exp
yep i had to retake my motorbike test again not happy then and now photocopy everything before i send for replacement/renewal
SORRY TO HEAR YOU GOT HIT BY THAT MISTAKE

shame is some are now no longer legal as they never checked the groups on the new photo license

so every one should check today
yours ian

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi billy thats the advantage of a 5er .you can pull enormous trains with the correct built 5er. easily 11ton .and still drive it on a b+e licence .if aquired years ago.

SaschandGin

Free Member
Mar 10, 2012
Halifax, UK
Funster No
MH
Class A
Exp
Feb 12
When I bought my first motorhome Brownhills told me I could drive it on my car license. I was furious when I got home and found out it was 3850Kg and I was limited to 3500. I had been driving illegally for 8 months at this point.

I ended up taking my C1 test to drive it... Best money I ever spent...

Hi Gromett, I think I am fine at the moment- but need to check! You said you did the C1 test, what did that involve (lessons, tests, cost, where)? I am thinking of doing this so that I have it for future. I passed my test 3 weeks after deadline (from arriving in UK).

Thanks for the info in advance

stevensson10

Banned
Jul 9, 2012
normanton
Funster No
MH
fiat ducatti auto rller 5
Exp
im a newbie
hi i have checked my licensence and it does permit me to drive b be c1 cie d1 d1e so does this mean im ok to drive big ones thanks steve:Eeek:

OP
OP
M
Jul 28, 2010
The world
Funster No
MH
Small car
Exp
hi i have checked my licensence and it does permit me to drive b be c1 cie d1 d1e so does this mean im ok to drive big ones thanks steve:Eeek:

up to 7.5 ton
and up to 8250ton with trailer

so you can not drive a 10 ton RV

ian

kavandaaron

Free Member
Aug 16, 2012
milton keynes
Funster No
MH
dont own one YET
Exp
Just Curious

My Husbands licence only allows him to drive up to 3.5ton. Im probably just not understanding how the regulations all work but would it mean if he got a 3.5 ton base vehicle then converted it into a camper the weight of the interior would count? or is it just the vehicle it self and what is inside isn't counted in the weighing? Im just looking at vans as if things go well and we decide to get a camper a conversion would give the hubby a project and i could watch my soaps in peace lol::bigsmile:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi stevensson10. if you have b+e pre 97 .you can have a vehicle up to 3,500kg and tow any weight trailer so long as the towing vehicles train weight isnt broken . could be 11-12 ton trainweight .
the restriction to 8,250kg is for c1+e . doesnt count with b+e.
and you can keep doing it at 70yr old. with out a medical.

hi kavandaaron be careful . i take it he passed his test after 97?

Last edited:

kavandaaron

Free Member
Aug 16, 2012
milton keynes
Funster No
MH
dont own one YET
Exp
Hi vwalan
Yes he passed his test after 97 and he cant drive anything over 3.5ton. If and when we do get a camper we need to know that he is legal to drive what ever he is driving and as it will probably be a conversion i just wanted to understand how it all works. ( im a shoes and handbag girl this sort of stuff doesn't really make a lot of sense to me but im trying lol). I just don't want to buy a 3.5 ton vehicle to convert it, to later find out that what is built inside is counted in the weight and he cant drive it. I have been looking into it but im finding it hard to understand it all to be honest. Would anyone be able to explain how it all works? In some ways getting a smaller vehicle might be easier but with kids and dogs the bigger the better really.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
right your husbands lkicence is up to 3,500kg gross vehicle weight . thats the van .and furniture and all pasengers and all clothes food etc . every thing as to be in that total not more than 3,500kg . makles life a bit difficult . as many conversions these days cant legaly carry as many people as they can berth.
find the lightest van you can. then try to build the furniture as light as you can. thats all you can do. dont sit down too hard on the seats and dont jump around too much on the bed .haa haa.

kavandaaron

Free Member
Aug 16, 2012
milton keynes
Funster No
MH
dont own one YET
Exp
Hi vwalan

Thank you so much for your answer. Just what i needed, plain and simple terms.::bigsmile:
So on the lookout for light vans then. Would you be able to recommend anything at all?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back