Pull down bed (1 Viewer)

May 23, 2012
Anglesey
Funster No
MH
Rapido 666f
Exp
Hi All I am considering buying an A class van with a rear lounge and drop down bed in the front. The bed is 6ft.2ins wide and I am 5ft 10 has anyone experience of using a pull down bed regularly. The fact one of us would have to climb over the other to get out is also worrying me a little.

Alistair33

Free Member
Aug 23, 2016
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
None
No we went for the A class with fixed rear bed for the very same reasons of your concerns. Must say initially we did look at the configuration you mention, but they are so few and far between we changed our expectations.......... to our benefit in the end we feel

Sep 28, 2015
Kingston upon Hull, East Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
2001 Caravans 2011 Motorhomes
We went from a fixed bed in our Bessacarr E450 to our drop down bed in our Hymer B544 and would not go back. The minor niggle of one person being on the inside is vastly outweighed by the shear comfort and the space available when it's put away.
It also comes down low enough to make a ladder unnecessary.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 30, 2016
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Le voyageur 8.5
Exp
On 3rd van so not a total newbie....
We recently bought a dethleffs i6767 which has a drop down bed, massive front lounge and rear washroom, we find this a good compromise I am slightly taller but find the drop down bed fine, even in use we still have a large lounge, and can carry occasional passengers. Can't see the benefit of a rear lounge in an a class which has great vision and room up front, for lounging and viewing tv the cab seats are always the first choice anyway.

OP
OP
SteveB123
May 23, 2012
Anglesey
Funster No
MH
Rapido 666f
Exp
We recently bought a dethleffs i6767 which has a drop down bed, massive front lounge and rear washroom, we find this a good compromise I am slightly taller but find the drop down bed fine, even in use we still have a large lounge, and can carry occasional passengers. Can't see the benefit of a rear lounge in an a class which has great vision and room up front, for lounging and viewing tv the cab seats are always the first choice anyway.
I have 2 teenagers who want their own space so 2 lounges works well.

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
We chose cupboards instead of the drop-down bed.
Nice excuse for being unable to invite visitors to stay.
In the earlier days, when more athletic and fewer toilet visits, the drop-down was fine (and very large) but we never used one that required a ladder.
If you're of "advancing years" I'd suggest that you reconsider your options. Twin singles at the rear is the most practical IMO, although we eventually settled for an island bed. We spend little time in it during the day. Daylight is for getting about and exploring.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
We went from a fixed bed in our Bessacarr E450 to our drop down bed in our Hymer B544 and would not go back. The minor niggle of one person being on the inside is vastly outweighed by the shear comfort and the space available when it's put away.
It also comes down low enough to make a ladder unnecessary.
I have the B584 and agree entirely (I'm 6' + a little).

MillieMoocher

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Kingham
Exp
40 years under canvas: Motorhome 2016 To 2020
Well they reckon it takes a couple of goes to get the best layout for you...

We started with a fixed single bed A class because we also thought that climbing over each other and having to pull down the bed and go up a ladder would be a pain.

Then came across a layout as the OP describes and thought it would be better for us.

As other have said, the fact you have to drop the bed down is a small price to pay for the more useful interior space afforded by the rear lounge layout.

Ours drop down bed also makes into 2 singles, which completely gets round the climbing over each other problem.

So in our experience, the drop down and rear lounge is more suited to our needs than two fixed singles and a small dinette type lounge area.

OP
OP
SteveB123
May 23, 2012
Anglesey
Funster No
MH
Rapido 666f
Exp
Well they reckon it takes a couple of goes to get the best layout for you...

We started with a fixed single bed A class because we also thought that climbing over each other and having to pull down the bed and go up a ladder would be a pain.

Then came across a layout as the OP describes and thought it would be better for us.

As other have said, the fact you have to drop the bed down is a small price to pay for the more useful interior space afforded by the rear lounge layout.

Ours drop down bed also makes into 2 singles, which completely gets round the climbing over each other problem.

So in our experience, the drop down and rear lounge is more suited to our needs than two fixed singles and a small dinette type lounge area.
Sounds good what van have you got.

RowleyBirkinQC

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 20, 2014
Dazed & Confused
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
We have a Burstner A class with drop down bed, front/mid lounge and end kitchen/washroom. I think I’m just over 6’2 (no clue after recent hip op) and the bed works well for us. We needed the hab/floor space to accommodate the dogs, plus the drop down bed also acts as sanctuary from them!

Attachments

• 50DF408A-8575-4941-AD82-55D9C86D314A.jpeg
    50DF408A-8575-4941-AD82-55D9C86D314A.jpeg
    36.8 KB · Views: 48

MillieMoocher

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Kingham
Exp
40 years under canvas: Motorhome 2016 To 2020
Sounds good what van have you got.
We went for the Hymer Duomobile 534.

They do 2 sizes, the bigger being a 634.

Ours is 6.9m long by 2.2 wide, whereas the bigger one is (I think) 7.9m long and 2.35 wide and too big for our drive...

Layout is basically the same on both sizes, the bigger is (obviously) more spacious and has some additional features.

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
If it's got a ladder to climb up you need to take some crocs to bed with you. Those ladders kill your feet. We have a Liaka and the side seat is just the right hight for hoping into bed. I use the front and SWMBO uses the back. Don't know about two sleeping up there its a bit cramped with me. At 6ft I have to sleep across the bed as my feet catch the metal bars. You also need to check what the bed loading is .... I also find that you cannot sit up straight in bed so you may have trouble climbing over someone without waking them up.

Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
P1020168.JPG
P1020165.JPG
IMG_5411.JPG
We have an A class Frankia i740 Plus. It has a huge lounge at the rear and an electric drop down bed over the cab which can either be 2 singles or a transverse double. Husband is 6 feet tall and he has plenty of room to stretch out. There are only 2 steps leading up to it which just pull out when you want to use them and there is a useful storage area inside one of them. This is our 4th van and this layout definitely works best for us.

Sep 22, 2009
nottingham
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
5 years
Our first van had a drop down bed and as you say we found one having to climb over the other very difficult. Our 2nd van had a rear island bed and a front lounge . When we decided to downsize, we have gone back to a drop down bed, but,it also slides out so we can sleep down the length of the van,it is also low enough that a ladder is unnecessary

Sep 18, 2010
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Benimar 486 tessoro
Exp
2010?
Our first van had a drop down bed and as you say we found one having to climb over the other very difficult. Our 2nd van had a rear island bed and a front lounge . When we decided to downsize, we have gone back to a drop down bed, but,it also slides out so we can sleep down the length of the van,it is also low enough that a ladder is unnecessary
Sounds nice what van is this pls

Nov 17, 2012
WEST SUSSEX
Funster No
MH
HYMER B SL 674
Exp
SINCE 2005
Hymer B544, drop down bed - no fixed bed. We find it works brilliantly for us; king size bed, very comfortable, good headroom, we are fortunate in that it is not an issue for us getting in and out of bed AND the big benefit is we have 1.8m of extra space when not in bed. This makes a significant difference to the circulation space and in our view our 6.5m allows for a better living and kitchen area than an equivalent 7.5 model. A shorter vehicle has other advantages of course. However we do not have a large garage which is usually located under a fixed bed but we have really not found this to be an issue even though we are often away 2 months at a time. As always personal choice.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
We are now on our second B544 and the drop down bed works well for us, a comfortable made up bed at night then helps create a large lounging area to get your feet up or entertain up to around 8 people , something not possible in a great deal of the modern front dinette mhomes.

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
7 years of using the Hymer B584 drop down bed every night and we still like it.
I sleep on the outside edge as I seem to need to 'go' more than hubby, I just pull my legs up when he needs to 'go'! Got used to it and I almost move my legs in my sleep now!

H

Hagstrom

Deleted User
The Frankia A Class Duo Bett front drop-down extends to 2m x 2m so that you can sleep north-south rather than east-west.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back