Puffins (1 Viewer)

Nov 17, 2012
WEST SUSSEX
Funster No
MH
HYMER B SL 674
Exp
SINCE 2005
Skomer; brilliant. Only 35,000 Puffins this year plus a load of other species.
We camped at the CMC site St David’s Lleithyr.
Booked the trip, on line, 5 hours on the Island, from Martin’s Haven.
Fully booked on line but if you keep watching in line some pop up as they put more boats on. You can drive there in an ‘A’ class although very tight, National trust car park, just scan your card on the machine. Plenty of parking for a Motorhome
Getting to St David’s from Haverfordwest on the A487 is also not an issue.
Another one ticked off the bucket list!

makems

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2011
Ingleby Barwick,,Teesside
Funster No
MH
Sadly had to give up
Exp
2010-2017
They taste a bit like liver but slightly fishy.
i was entertained at a restaurant in Iceland and the client recommended that we have the puffin. It had to be pre-ordered so the restaurant could send out a man with a big net to catch a few.
i wouldn’t order it again.
also on the menu was “roast foal” but I suspect it was a translation issue and just regular horsemeat.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 8, 2019
Surrey
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2017
I am hoping to see them on the Farne Islands again this year, have the campsite booked as a carry over from last year but the National Trust have not yet opened the island so it's fingers crossed.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
They taste a bit like liver but slightly fishy.
i was entertained at a restaurant in Iceland and the client recommended that we have the puffin. It had to be pre-ordered so the restaurant could send out a man with a big net to catch a few.
i wouldn’t order it again.
also on the menu was “roast foal” but I suspect it was a translation issue and just regular horsemeat.
I prefer Penguins

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
one of our favourite walks ( and there are several ) down there is along the coastal path from Whitesands bay to St Justinians ( decent walk but not in this wind ) if you are lucky you can get a view of the pod of PORPOISE in the fast water between the headland and Ramsey island, then walk back up the road or get the coastal hopper bus into St Davids for lunch in the farmers arms then a stroll ( or the bus again ) back to Lliether meadow. nice day out.

Sep 10, 2013
Chelmsford Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Getting better
We visited many years ago, whilst sailing around the area. We signed up for the adopt a Puffin scheme and paid every year. Each year we received a note saying our Puffin had not been seen and eventually aftrr many years a message saying our Puffin was a Puffin no more, probably the most expensive Puffin never seen by a living soul. Was a nice place would like to go back, but avoiding the Puffin hard sell next time.

Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
I took the boat trip a couple of weeks ago. Didn't go onto the island though. Very interesting 1 1/2 hours. They do add more boats if passenger numbers dictate. Either watch their online page or give them a ring. Nice little souvenir shop too. (y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back