Pub stopovers (1 Viewer)

Oct 29, 2012
essex
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9090df
Exp
20 years (unless you count my dads VW which makes it 52 years with a few gaps!!)
Anyone stopped at the bull in hockley Essex recently? They appear on several moho friendly sites but I just phoned them and was laughed at for suggesting that we may want to " what sleep in the car park" in return for spending a considerable amount of wedge on a meal and drinks.
Feedback welcomed.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Can only find it listed on one unofficial listing, on a Pub Stops map.. not Britstops..

like most pubs, it's probably better to go and have a meal then ask if you can stay the night, most do not have a Natural England 5 van exception certificate for camping.. they certainly won't take camping bookings .

Asking before going can result in being told no..
you could be anyone, a licence inspector, police, someone with a grudge, .. unlikely but they won't take a risk.

On a general note, any wild camping listings are liable to change, be inaccurate or just plain wrong.. always needs to be checked personally.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
Yes, pubs change ownership and things can alter quickly.
We used to love going to the Angel Inn,Thirsk, for a meal and drinks, the Cameron's Ruby Red ale was a lovely drop. The owner was really welcoming, even posting all over, motorhomes welcome, hook up provided and fresh water.
New owners took over and its a definite''No'', horrified they were when we suggested it.
Same as the Strathmore Arms, Holwick, Teesdale, used to stay there but they were really rude last time we went when asking.
Point is, situations change quickly depending on the current situation, who owns\manages it etc.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
As people have said pubs change hands, sometimes quite frequently. The current managers might not have ever heard of the concept of motorhome stopovers and so someone asking of they can "sleep in the car park" would have made no sense to them at all. If you really want to stay there then a conversation explaining the idea would be the logical next step. The worst that can happen is that they still say no.

The other, quite strong, possibility is that they've been added to whatever database or map or website you found them on without their knowledge or permission. That happens far more than you might think. Not all of the people operating those websites are as responsible as they need to be and randomly adding lots of locations without even offering the most basic courtesies to the owners of said locations is a fairly common practice in order to pad out their website and make their directory look bigger than it really is.

OP
OP
cranky
Oct 29, 2012
essex
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9090df
Exp
20 years (unless you count my dads VW which makes it 52 years with a few gaps!!)
its a shame, got a huge car park. I might pop in and have a word with the manager when I'm next passing.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back