Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Pubs here are thriving.
Especially as overheads are low and they pay less than 50c for a pint of lager.

My fave pub knocks it out at €1.50

My pal owns it and says every pint is €1 profit and it's busy 12 hours a day.
With all due respect they're not pubs, they're bars.
A "pub" is a peculiarly British institution.

Plenty of bars & clubs are thriving here too.

And you cannot compare in anyway the conditions of business here in the UK with those in the Canaries.

Like the weather... different geography, different country.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Presumably the pubs inform subscribing customers by text or whatever means to let them know when they are closing
No, it's simply an extension of the councils town centre CCTV scheme. The public are not involved at all.
Participating pubs and clubs are all in radio contact with the control room to warn of aggressive behavior and to warn of those who are barred from a pub who may be trying to get in. Barred from one, barred from all of the participating pubs.
They can also request police attendance via the radio far quicker than calling the police.
A really worthwhile scheme by both the council and police.

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
No, it's simply an extension of the councils town centre CCTV scheme. The public are not involved at all.
Ah. So I guess you're not the 'public'. To me it read in your earlier post that you connected into it so that you would know when pubs were closing.............:
My watering hole is on local 'pubwatch' scheme with CCTV 2way radio and seldom hear anywhere signing out before midnight.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Ah. So I guess you're not the 'public'. To me it read in your earlier post that you connected into it so that you would know when pubs were closing.............:
I see what you mean.
I'm usually chatting to my mate, the manager, and the door staff so hear all the conversations on the radio.
The scheme has saved lives in the past by getting police and ambulances on scene in minutes.
Before the scheme began there was a fatal stabbing outside my watering hole.... Took around 15 minutes for police to arrive and another 5 mins for the ambulance.

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
With all due respect they're not pubs, they're bars.
A "pub" is a peculiarly British institution.

Plenty of bars & clubs are thriving here too.

And you cannot compare in anyway the conditions of business here in the UK with those in the Canaries.

Like the weather... different geography, different country.
Yeah. Where the pubs pay stupid overheads to greedy landlords.
And they charge stupid prices to customers.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Maybe but I also suspect that a some of the pubs who got the furlough money would have gone under even without the pandemic hitting, to them it was likely a bit of a perk to keep the money coming in paid for by you and me. I don't begrudge anyone who was playing by the rules but I suspect quite a few weren't.
I agree and there will always be struggling businesses but this is a place that on the face of it looked quite successful. It could be the owners coming up for retirement and had had enough I was talking to a friend who works at a research institute he says he's never seen so many people retiring

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back