Pub closing times (1 Viewer)

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
It seems that people are drinking earlier as we popped into Market Rasen today to see our third Great Granddaughter who arrived last week. We were a bit early so went into the Avocate which is a hotel/ restaurant for a coffee at 9 am. While we had our coffee this chap sat down opposite with two pints of Guinness, within 10 minutes he had drunk both pints and left, it takes me 6 months to drink two cans of Guinness.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I suppose they know if they'll be busy after 9pm by recent history.
No point staying open, paying staff wages, if they only get one or two punters in.
Like you, I'm a 'later' drinker.. I would rather go out at 11pm until closing at 4am than sit in a pub all evening.
There few, if any, pubs here that close much before midnight.
My watering hole is on local 'pubwatch' scheme with CCTV 2way radio and seldom hear anywhere signing out before midnight.
Can't understand why anyone wants to be bothered to go roaming about at that time of night, why cant you just have a pint in your own house without folks shouting and screaming around you.
Myself ,I'm in bed around 9 o clock ready to get up around the time you are going to bed.
Don't you have a job to go to?

OP
OP
dulvil
Apr 21, 2008
bedford
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't understand why anyone wants to be bothered to go roaming about at that time of night, why cant you just have a pint in your own house without folks shouting and screaming around you.
Myself ,I'm in bed around 9 o clock ready to get up around the time you are going to bed.
Don’t need much sleep at night I can do it in the day

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
While we had our coffee this chap sat down opposite with two pints of Guinness, within 10 minutes he had drunk both pints and left, it takes me 6 months to drink two cans of Guinness.
I used to work on & off with the UK engineer for a Dutch firm. He would drink 23 pints of Guiness every night between 8pm & 2am & still be at work for 7. On the occasions the hotel ran out he drank nothing .

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I used to work on & off with the UK engineer for a Dutch firm. He would drink 23 pints of Guiness every night between 8pm & 2am & still be at work for 7. On the occasions the hotel ran out he drank nothing .
£100 a night must have had more money than sense :(

Oct 11, 2016
Bognor Regis
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 69-4
Exp
6 years
I remember when opening and closing hours were very different. Rattling the doors to get in at 6:00 and 7:00 on a Sunday. Also summer and winter opening hours.

Jun 7, 2014
Cleethorpes
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Suppose it depends where you live, it's not a problem finding a pub open late in Cleethorpes at any time of the year. Mondays and Tuesdays you may be a little lonely.
Mike

busbuddy

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2018
leicestershire
Funster No
MH
swift suntor 630G
Exp
since 1994
My partner has known the landlady of our local village pub for over 30 years
After the covid era it will never open again.....anyone who thinks that 5 people drinking 5 pints each in an evening keeps a pub open and making money are in dream land
People just dont go out anymore, I grew up watching full time bar flies from 5pm until 11pm but it's not that way now
We have been away in the van all over the country and seen pub staff waiting to lock up as soon as we leave

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
One of the fundamental issues not mentioned yet (I think) is folk are probably more health conscious today than they were years ago with even brewers \ distillers pushing the "Drink Aware" message.

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007

One of my student jobs was as a plumber's mate / van driver for an Irish plumber called Barry. He claimed to drink 50 Guinness on Saturday and same again on Sunday. On Monday mornings he was a wreck, looking for a heavy job to do like replacing an underground burst pipe so he could sweat it all out (his words). The rest of the week he was sober. Strange lifestyle.

May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Chausson best of Flash 10
Exp
Several years now
The pubs are doing quite well in the North East, actually a few new pubs opening up. Never any bother finding somewhere to drink.

We were out last night with friends in a local pub, easily put £80 over the counter. Mind the Vodka Sisters (Mrs Sandancers and her mate) were in top form dancing all round the pub when the band played the best songs, then getting emotional with each other when the none dancing songs were played.

Strange stuff that vodka !

Nov 8, 2019
Surrey
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2017
Between the crack-down on drinking & driving, the no smoking and Covid I think we are lucky to still have some Pubs!
Do you mean they were catering for the anti-socials and saddo’s. Surely not :LOL:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Well,
1) I don't go 'roaming', I go directly to the club.
2) drinking alone at home... No fun there then, just a sad old man with no mates.
I drink socially, not at home
3) I haven't been in bed at 9pm since I was about 8 years old.

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
My watering hole is on local 'pubwatch' scheme
My motorbike club meets in a room annexed to a pub so apart from the monthly meetings I haven't been in a pub for maybe 30 years so I had to look up 'Pubwatch'. It seems it was set up to aid security for publicans and for curbing anti-social behaviour.
Presumably the pubs inform subscribing customers by text or whatever means to let them know when they are closing. How bizarre.
Reminds me of Tony Hancock listening in to police radios in 'The Radio Ham'.

May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Chausson best of Flash 10
Exp
Several years now
Well,
1) I don't go 'roaming', I go directly to the club.
2) drinking alone at home... No fun there then, just a sad old man with no mates.
I drink socially, not at home
3) I haven't been in bed at 9pm since I was about 8 years old.

3) Man, you have missed out on a LOT of fun !

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
£100 a night must have had more money than sense :(
This was back in the 80's & probably much of it on expenses as when the 4 Dutch lads came over he had to foot the bar bill for them also & as he said they could drink him under the table.
anyone who thinks that 5 people drinking 5 pints each in an evening keeps a pub open and making money are in dream land
That's the problem in the UK the excessive taxation that means a petrol station can't exist on fuel sales alone neither can a tobacconist or pub. Here an estanco or tabac is like printing money & rarely if ever sold. Same with petrol stations. Plenty of profit in fuel.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
A lot of business was done in pubs
I think the pub lunch business meeting went out years ago same with a lunchtime pint for almost all workers. I think they're closing due to staff issues and maybe people have got out of the habit of visiting the pub. A bar around here has just closed there's a sign up say they managed to last through the pandemic etc but now can't open due to staff shortages. I suspect that a lot of pub staff on furlough looked for other jobs and won't want to go back to working antisocial hours for low pay.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I think the pub lunch business meeting went out years ago same with a lunchtime pint for almost all workers. I think they're closing due to staff issues and maybe people have got out of the habit of visiting the pub. A bar around here has just closed there's a sign up say they managed to last through the pandemic etc but now can't open due to staff shortages. I suspect that a lot of pub staff on furlough looked for other jobs and won't want to go back to working antisocial hours for low pay.
Maybe but I also suspect that a some of the pubs who got the furlough money would have gone under even without the pandemic hitting, to them it was likely a bit of a perk to keep the money coming in paid for by you and me. I don't begrudge anyone who was playing by the rules but I suspect quite a few weren't.

scally

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 15, 2010
essex and lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Eldiss Autoquest 320
Exp
since 1998
Maybe but I also suspect that a some of the pubs who got the furlough money would have gone under even without the pandemic hitting, to them it was likely a bit of a perk to keep the money coming in paid for by you and me. I don't begrudge anyone who was playing by the rules but I suspect quite a few weren't.
I know a few who worked for other firms whist getting furlough

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
Pubs here are thriving.
Especially as overheads are low and they pay less than 50c for a pint of lager.

My fave pub knocks it out at €1.50

My pal owns it and says every pint is €1 profit and it's busy 12 hours a day.

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Went out for Maureen's birthday, 5 of us altogether. Having a yarn with "Mine Host" she was saying a party of 13 booked, and hav'n't turned up, not answering their phone either. She actually called in a couple of part timers to help with the expected busy busy!

Jul 4, 2021
Chislehurst, Kent
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E425
Exp
My local is busier than ever....Since the lockdown has been stopped, during which time he struggled, obviously, however since then, business appears to be booming.

I go regularly every Thursday, Friday nights, from 6-7pm, right through to closing, anytime from 11pm up til 1am, depending how manys about....And Sunday pm from about 2pm, through to whenever I leave.....

Cannot beat a good local.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back