LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
I prefer the other one. The one with holes would be harder to keep clean.

OP
OP
jezport
Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
How about a compromise between the big hole and the small one. It will allow the tap to run through
2017-08-01 07.53.52.jpg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
B ... that's pretty much what I suggested earlier ... :whistle:
why not make the existing slot bigger, this would still give strength by having 4 sides but allow you to run the tap and rinse stuff over the aperture.

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
I prefer ...... A

gerry mcg

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2016
Glasgow, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Globecar 600L Revn
Exp
since 2016
The first one is better IMO.

Here is a thought (but it would mean the board would only really fit one way)
Could you / do you want to radius the chopping board handle hole to match the radius of the tap ( leave the hole the same width as the original one)
That means the tap would always run into the sink, rather than onto the board?

OP
OP
jezport
Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
The first one is better IMO.

Here is a thought (but it would mean the board would only really fit one way)
Could you / do you want to radius the chopping board handle hole to match the radius of the tap ( leave the hole the same width as the original one)
That means the tap would always run into the sink, rather than onto the board?
I showed that on a previous picture but got no good feedback

gerry mcg

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2016
Glasgow, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Globecar 600L Revn
Exp
since 2016
I
I showed that on a previous picture but got no good feedback
I think the proposed radiused triangular cut out on the previous illustration, together with the drain slots was too cluttered.
I was more suggesting a radiused handle slot, maybe about 1" wide that follows the arc of the tap water drop.
Only a suggestion tho. :)

OP
OP
jezport
Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
I

I think the proposed radiused triangular cut out on the previous illustration, together with the drain slots was too cluttered.
I was more suggesting a radiused handle slot, maybe about 1" wide that follows the arc of the tap water drop.
Only a suggestion tho. :)
The radius is a good idea but the issue is that the water sprays at a different distance depending on how fast the tap is on.
I think the other options are a round hole or a triangle. I will make some more drawings

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I think worrying about the flow rate is a bit of a red herring as no-one in their right mind would surely turn the tap on fast with the chopping board in place, a little bit maybe, but that's all.

An alternative, if it is possible, would be instead of just a large 'slot' to have a basket inset so that if you want to rinse some items, or put the waste into something before disposing of it, it could go in the basket ... below are examples of what I mean but ideally with a smaller removable basket.

wholesale-Plastic-Cutting-Board-with-Silicon-Colander-Basket_17600487214d4f4bb3944d7520100828_398x398.jpg

images

over-the-sink-red-board-colander.jpg

81hppbLwQJL._SL1500_.jpg

OP
OP
jezport
Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
Here's another question. I could make it the same thickness as the glass but it wil flex slightly when cut on. Or I can go thicker to make it solid. It does increase cost for the thicker one.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I think worrying about the flow rate is a bit of a red herring as no-one in their right mind would surely turn the tap on fast with the chopping board in place, a little bit maybe, but that's all.

An alternative, if it is possible, would be instead of just a large 'slot' to have a basket inset so that if you want to rinse some items, or put the waste into something before disposing of it, it could go in the basket ... below are examples of what I mean but ideally with a smaller removable basket.

wholesale-Plastic-Cutting-Board-with-Silicon-Colander-Basket_17600487214d4f4bb3944d7520100828_398x398.jpg

images

over-the-sink-red-board-colander.jpg

81hppbLwQJL._SL1500_.jpg
This was my point though , without detracting from his admirable idea, these things are already available

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
This was my point though , without detracting from his admirable idea, these things are already available
True but the one Jez is looking to produce will be a perfect fit for the common MH sinks, not a 'universal' one that doesn't really fit them so less stable.

@jezport - I'd certainly go for a thicker one that doesn't flex as you don't want to be chopping stuff with a sharp knife on a flexible board - as it would need to be removed in order to put the sink lid down anyway keeping the board thinner is irrelevant - the most important thing is that it is fit for it's main purpose.

OP
OP
jezport
Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
So it seems that a hole for the tap is not important to most people, but I can do two designs.
So I am thinking of doind one with a small handle hole as in the original post and one with a double size handle hole to allow the tap to be run through the hole.
I was also looking at doing it in a cream colour rather than white.

Now the price I will be selling them at will be £29.99 but to Funsters I will do them at £25.00 for the first batch. I will be visiting a motorhome dealer on the 9th to see if he is interested in buying any, but to do them at this price I have to have a minimum batch of 30 in one colour.

So if anyone is wanting me to get them one made then please let me know, and let me know which size hole.

gerry mcg

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2016
Glasgow, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Globecar 600L Revn
Exp
since 2016
Good luck! :)
I don't need one at the moment (as my van came with one) but from an aesthetic POV, IMO, I think the small hole version is the nicest layout.

I also think white would look better than cream. It gives the impression of cleanliness which is good in the galley, but I guess there is a risk of staining if it is used to chop heavily coloured foods, eg. Chorizo / beetroot / black olives etc.

I confess we have not used our factory one from chopping, to avoid staining and knife marks.. We only use it as a sinks cover and for extra worktop space when the sink is not being used.
We have a couple of the Folding Joseph Joseph chopping boards that we use for utility purposes instead.

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Once you put something under the tap the water will go all over the board anyway (think cucumber:)) and if it drains at the edges it will clean the board (y)

gerry mcg

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2016
Glasgow, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Globecar 600L Revn
Exp
since 2016
Do you want me to measure the thickness & weight of the factory one for info? If so I can do so this evening.
It's pretty substantial. Certainly no flex.

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
I think you will struggle to sell many, I mean how much chopping do you need to do in a motorhome? Ann often sits at the table to chop things & it's handy to have the full sink available to wash up as we go..
Good luck with it though.

OP
OP
jezport
Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
I think you will struggle to sell many, I mean how much chopping do you need to do in a motorhome? Ann often sits at the table to chop things & it's handy to have the full sink available to wash up as we go..
Good luck with it though.
I think as they are for mainly panel van conversions which have limited work surface they will be popular.
I have been using the prototype already and it is very useful.
As it lifts easily off the sink but sits perfectly in without slipping its not a problem moving it to use the sink.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back