Protective carpets (1 Viewer)

Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
We buy cheap protective bits of carpet at motorhome shows to save the vans original carpets. These scraps never fit and if you cut most of them, you can end up with rough bits of fly away raggy edges. I experimented today by cutting the back of the carpet with a metal cutting disc, which gave a perfect edge. Then using latex (copydex should do the same) to paint the edges carefully, I then tapped the edges just before it set. The results are not as good as whipped edges but they are still visually serviceable.

Nasher

Free Member
May 6, 2016
Pontardawe
Funster No
MH
Pug Boxer
Exp
Since 2013
Never bother the expensive carpet option on our Motorhomes, I make my own from Marval Mats. You can cut them with scissors edges don't fray and a non slip backing. After a trip we throw them in the washing machine.

What he said, but I use barrier mats - lots of sizes, colours, cheap as chips & can be cut with scissors without fraying - apparently they are even machine washable

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
I have put Turtle mats in our MoHo cut to fit the best bit is they are machine washable always look good and it cost no more then the poor quality mats that tend to come with most MoHoā€™s. Once cut the edges do not fall off so no need for binding our putting latex on etc no mess no fuss just clean and cleanable carpets. šŸ‘
Scion Living - Official Turtle MatĀ®

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Er um your MH came with carpets, why leave them elsewhere and find other oddments instead. Sorry when it comes time to sell my van it will be used, that means carpet, toilet, shower, oven .....
Bit like folk years ago who used to buy a new car and then put seat covers on so the upholstery looks new when they sell it.Second owner then gets to enjoy it and original owner missed out,,BUSBY.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Er um your MH came with carpets, why leave them elsewhere and find other oddments instead. Sorry when it comes time to sell my van it will be used, that means carpet, toilet, shower, oven .....
We have dogs and despite how much we tell them they simply refuse to wipe their feet so the light coloured carpet would look like a herd of wildebeest had run over it in no time at all!
Bit like folk years ago who used to buy a new car and then put seat covers on so the upholstery looks new when they sell it.Second owner then gets to enjoy it and original owner missed out,,BUSBY.
Again ... dogs ... I make my own covers so we don't have to worry about the upholstery and can remove and chuck them in the washing machine after each trip.

Even if we didn't have dogs I still prefer to have something I can easily remove and clean and that isn't a stupid light colour in the first place.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
As for carpets ... we use dirt grabber type mats (same sort of thing as mentioned above), they have a cotton twill tuft top and rubber backing so easy to cut to shape without fraying and can be thrown in the washing machine, plus if you do spill any water etc on them it doesn't go through to the MH floor which for us is important seeing as we have floor lockers.

There are the usual branded ones which can be expensive but either Home Bargains or B&M stores sell versions too a lot cheaper and they last just as well - just make sure they are the full cotton twill and not the nylon/acrylic ones.

Oct 8, 2014
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Compactline 143
Exp
I'm a newbie and always will be. You never know it all.
I use common and garden carpet squares, pressure wash when needed and re fit.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
I use common and garden carpet squares, pressure wash when needed and re fit.
I used to have a large green dirt grabber type mat (the sort you see in the entrance to shops) which I put down in a couple of campers ... it was very heavy due to it being 'industrial' quality but it did keep the van clean ... fortunately the dogs never mistook it for real grass ... not sure I'd risk garden carpet (ie Astro turf type) matting though. :giggle:

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
We use our carpets and they get dirty. Every year I take them out of the van, they're only held in with poppers, spray 25% Actiwash mix (or the carpet shampoo version of it, can't remember what it's called) leave them to soak, scrub them then blast with pressure washer to rinse and hang them on the line to dry for a day. They are then as clean as new šŸ˜ŽšŸ‘Œ

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back