Protect our motorhome from extreme weather conditions (1 Viewer)

mariaharrison

Free Member
Apr 1, 2021
Funster No
MH
a class
Hi there
We have just bought a motorhome, she’s a A class hymer and is our pride and joy even though she’s an older girl from 2004. We have an issue, we live right up on the west coast of the highlands of Scotland in a very exposed spot where we often experience extreme weather with 80+ mph wind with driving rain and we really want to protect our van as much as possible. We have parked her so that her back is against the wind and rain but we are concerned that the wind and driving rain can eventually cause water ingress problems.

My question is, is getting a good quality cover something that would work or could the wind cause more damage with flapping etc. We have looked at Protech bran. The cover is an expensive outlay to us so we need to ensure it’s the right thing to do. If not a cover, can you suggest anything else.

Hope you can honestly advise

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
Whilst a cover may stop the water, it is liable to damage the paintwork with the wind movement.
The best thing would be a car port
Something like this

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
I also live in Scotland. Having experienced water ingress my advice would be to leave the cover off and let the elements get to it, turn it around every few weeks to be sure you’ve no water ingress. Only by doing this we found our water ingress. Better to find it sooner rather than later.

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
The best solution would be to find a farmer with some barn space,but I imagine you’ve thought about that.
Ive never used any form of cover as I think they will mark the bodywork and they can also retain damp. It’s better to let the air in rather than trap moisture.
If you get a lot of salt in the atmosphere that may do more damage than the driving rain in itself.
I think I would just leave it exposed to the elements,once you’ve given it a good waxing 2 or 3 times a year. Have it on a slope so that the water runs off quickly.

Aug 25, 2016
Taynuilt, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer 655 Starline
Exp
Village idiot
I live in taynuilt near Oban and also have a 2004 Hymer starline. Nice big vans built to withstand the weather a good polish and keep it clean 🧼 moving turning it back and forward every few weeks. But best of all use it what model is your van. And welcome 👍🥃😷🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
Whilst a cover may stop the water, it is liable to damage the paintwork with the wind movement.
The best thing would be a car port
Something like this
We have looked at Protech brand. The cover is an expensive outlay to us
I expect that canopy would be even more expensive than a Protech cover.
I wouldn't use a cover which can cause scuffing and trap damp (even though most claim to be 'breathable').
I concur with parking it facing into the wind (as it is designed to be).
Park it sloping to the rear with one rear corner lower that the other if possible. Use levelling blocks under the front wheels if you park it now on a level surface. This will not only prevent puddling on the roof but also direct the dirty water running off the roof to one corner thus restricting most of the inevitable black streaks to a single area.

Paul and Kate

LIFE MEMBER
May 1, 2016
Stoke on trent
Funster No
MH
Auto sleeper Warwick
Exp
Since 2015
It took 7 replies for me to realise it was a 2004 hymer thanks fat haggis
It will be fine just keep checking it every now and then.
Those mh's are built to last in all weather.
👍

AndyPK

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 7, 2015
Cirencester
Funster No
MH
None……..!
Exp
Motorhoming since 2015......
Welcome from Ciren!(y)
(don’t buy a cover.......! o_O )