Prostate solution (1 Viewer)

Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
At the vets today, I saw that dogs also suffer from prostate problems. To prevent it, the dog should be neutered
upload_2017-10-27_18-2-58.jpeg

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
When I got my prostate check up, the doc said "it's not unusual to get an erection during this procedure" I said that's ok, I haven't got one. He said "No, but I have" :eek:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Camdoon

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 22, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix Supreme
Exp
That was one examination where I breathed easier when a woman doctor did the examination rather than my now retired gay doctor. She said I had one of the smallest which was disappointing in one way.

Alex Black

Free Member
Dec 20, 2016
Fife scotland
Funster No
MH
Coach built. Knaus.
Exp
Scince 2010
All joking aside chaps and speaking from some bitter experience, the 'wiggle finger' test is a very very important health check any man over 55 yrs should not miss. It could save your life and save you a lot of misery too.

I am on my 4th year now since diagnosis and doing ok.. Radical radiotherapy (37 visits to the machine) and hormone jags every three months and so far still above ground.

Please chaps. PLEASE.. Get checked regularly. Just ask your doc to check for you. Takes less than 5 mins.

Good travels and GOOD HEALTH...

OP
OP
rosalan
Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
Having read similar articles and been advised by a friend of the urgency regarding getting checked, I visited my Indian lady doctor. She asked if I had any symptoms, which I did not have. She said that at my age, which was then 74, tests tended to be inconclusive and the initial test was not pleasant and I should not be too concerned but she would go ahead with tests if I wished.
I now wonder if her sex, or religion (Muslim) could have any influence on her advice. I should add that she was (now moved on) one of the nicest doctors you could wish to meet and was very popular with all her patients.
Now aged 77, fortunately I still have no symptoms other than that niggling doubt, should I have gone ahead with the tests.

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
I believe that statistics show that more men die with Prostate Cancer, rather than from it.
I'd recommend watching rather than rushing to get treatment. The consequences of removal can be quite damaging. Hindsight.

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
Just been prescribed Alfuzosin after the Tamulosin and Finesteride didn't agree with me. The side effects possible with this don't make for good reading either and the recommendation to give up alcohol and coffee are bitter pills to swallow. :(

Oct 24, 2015
Helgas house
Funster No
MH
hymer e650 battered!!
Exp
None
My doctor is marvellous, an absolute magician!!

I still can't work out though, how he can probe while he's got both hands on my shoulders!!

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
Alan, @rosalan go for the test, you don't always have symptoms, regular PSA is good. Even at 70+ if in good health they will treat.
Coming to the end of a relaxing 4 weeks in Spain.

The Dotties

Free Member
Jan 31, 2015
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Ex Newbie
I'm part of a two yearly check programme with Southampton university.
I send three stool samples taken over a couple of days of a plastic card type thing and they can analyse it (by computer) and send results back.
So far so good.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
I
I'm part of a two yearly check programme with Southampton university.
I send three stool samples taken over a couple of days of a plastic card type thing and they can analyse it (by computer) and send results back.
So far so good.
think that's for bowel cancer I do the same.

Dec 24, 2009
bedworth warks
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
2009 previously a tugger for thirty years
All men 40+ (45 is the usual age) are advised to get their PSA checked sporadically.

End of story! Most cases are completely symptom-free to begin with and if you wait till you have some symptoms, it could easily be 'advanced' by that stage. There can indeed be side effects from most forms of treatment. None of them kill you, though!

These days no-one is rushed into making decisions about whether to have treatment and if so, which choice of treatment.

Bearing in mind in the UK alone a man dies every 28 minutes of prostate cancer (this does NOT include the chaps who have it but it didn't kill them) then IMHO, you must be daft if you don't just go and get that blood test.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
After the initial check, which turned out to be a false positive, I now have regular 6-monthly PSA checks, mainly because the levels are "borderline". As long as the readings stay the same, no further action is required. In fact letter in the post this morning reminding me. I still have some of the symptoms, but I can take steps to control them, and I'm on regular medication too - it's no big deal.

I, and others, have said it before fellas but most turn out negative for cancer and even if you get a positive only a tiny minority go on to surgery. Don't be embarrassed or worry about it - in fact it takes worry away. GET IT CHECKED!

Dec 24, 2009
bedworth warks
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
2009 previously a tugger for thirty years
The post made earlier by Sedge is slightly incorrect its every 48 minutes not 28 as she said. Slip of the finger on the keyboard.

Dare_Devil_Dennis

Free Member
Apr 22, 2017
Derby
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Personal experience... at 65 yrs old, as part of my GP practice "Well Man" programme, My PSA was checked 2 years ago. Came back at 4.3. "This is a low figure and nothing to worry about, but we will refer you to the local urology team".

"oh yes", the urologist concurred. "This is very low and nothing to worry about, in fact two weeks ago we would not have seen you but NICE just lowered the PSA threshold for referrals to PSA of 4.0.

After imaging and biopsy, turns out I had a Grade 9 tumour (4+5 out of max 5+5 Gleason score). Happily it was confined to the prostate. 37 cycles of radiotherapy and hormone therapy. All good so far.
Two weeks earlier and I would not have been seen. By now it would have escaped the prostate and been a different kettle of fish. I dodged a bullet, I think you will agree.

Moral of this story, PSA is a blunt tool but it is the only routine test they have. Get is done, please, as the sooner you know the easier it is to treat. There are so many men now with this disease that there are a lot of new treatments and options available.

I think I like the statistic that most men die with rather than from Prostate Cancer.

maxi77

Free Member
Mar 20, 2013
Kingdom of Fife
Funster No
MH
coacbuilt
Exp
Certainly one check worth having I have an enlarged prostate but non cancerous and take alfluozene and have done for some 10 years and have a PSA check every year with my heart church up. Like everything else the earlier they get at it the better it is for you.

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Balls off!!! Well might as well for all the use they are now.. They do treat prostate cancer that way but using Hormone suppressants and they make a mess of the psycological health instead as everything goes wrong and Breast grow instead, A friend had it and it was awful the way he went until they took him off it. He had a mastectomy before that. Just take loads of vitamin D£ and that is beneficial to prostate and loads of other troubles including Flu and colds. etc. Nobody get enough in this country and are mostly deficient, naturists in Summer seem to have enough.

Dare_Devil_Dennis

Free Member
Apr 22, 2017
Derby
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
PLEASE! Take this last advice under advisement. Not everyone has such a bad trip on this treatment. My experience does not include gynocomastia or severe side effects.
If vitamin D is all you need, the NHS would not be spending as much as it does helping sufferers of this cancer.

I can attest that after 18 months, my life has not come off the rails and I don’t think I am the exception.

Alex Black

Free Member
Dec 20, 2016
Fife scotland
Funster No
MH
Coach built. Knaus.
Exp
Scince 2010
GOOD... A decent conversation of great importance. My thanks to the original PO for that.
My consultant said the same .. 'most men die with PC but not because if it'. Indeed very true. BUT. That goes for the men who have caught it well in time. If you don't and it had become advanced, into one's boles for eg..? Not good news and only a matter of time then.

So what I did was to ask for three monthly PSA checks and also a digital check at the same time.

What's not to like. Just be sure and if anything pops up you have it covered and will be a survivor.

Good motoring guys and Good health too.. ;-)
PLEASE! Take this last advice under advisement. Not everyone has such a bad trip on this treatment. My experience does not include gynocomastia or severe side effects.
If vitamin D is all you need, the NHS would not be spending as much as it does helping sufferers of this cancer.

I can attest that after 18 months, my life has not come off the rails and I don’t think I am the exception.

Yes things change. They are bound too. The treatments are to save one's life. You and many others are indeed NOT the exception and many are surviving this cancer. All down to good care and if possible finding it early. Hence our posts to raise awareness and to encourage having those simple tests done regularly

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
GOOD... A decent conversation of great importance. My thanks to the original PO for that.
So what I did was to ask for three monthly PSA checks and also a digital check at the same time.
'digital check' = a new twist on what would otherwise be electronic?

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
My doc here doesn't do the digital examination. Just sends you to the hospital for them to do it. 13 month wait for the appt.:LOL:

Sep 27, 2007
Shropshire based
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
started in 2001
Had mine removed almost seven years ago and clear thank goodness, get it checked fellas, could save your life

Hi Larry,
Is it really seven years ago, I recall I was about two weeks after you.
Following that, about a year later my bladder adopted a friend, which had to be removed, consultant used the same opening, should be discharged early next year if my next ct scan is clear.

Neville

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Should any Funster wish to avail themselves of a 'Men Utd' Pin Badge (as worn by all those footy pundits et al) send me a PM and we'll have a chat.

I am proud to be a Prostate UK fundraiser cos' I have a lot to be thankful for in 'THAT' Dept.

And you have been warned that at any and every Rally we attend, we will attempt to part you from your money for this worthwhile cause.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back