PRO's & CONS OF AWNINGS - Should I get one??? (1 Viewer)

wingman

Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Exp
Since 2012
I fancy one of those Kampa Rally Air awnings (there are other makes :D2). BUT, I (well we) have been talking ourselves out of it.

Here's our situation.......
  • Four berth van and only two of us - hence plenty of room.
  • No dogs to put in one
  • No bikes to put in one - coz we hardly take them these days
  • Don't do much touring in the UK
  • Use mainly Aires when abroad, so not etiquette and no point for 1 night
  • Inclement weather? Luckily, we haven't encountered much, but if so, sit inside
  • Mrs W says, " What's the point? The whole reason for having a Motorhome is to stop and have the kettle on in a jiffy.......If you've got to start climbing, slotting, pumping, pegging things out, it's just like camping!" AND "Where do we stow it, what about weight and what happens when it's soaking wet?" AND "I don't want to just sit anyway, I want to go places"
See what I mean about talking ourselves out of it? HOWEVER.......

With all that said, I look at fellow Funsters and others sitting breeze-free with a nicely set table, having a drink and being able to nose and curtain-twitch from outside the van :D2

That's all of our Con's. Any Pro's? Are they worth the trouble? Or is it like my lad would say, "You might want it dad, but do you need it?"

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I think they are good if you are on a site for more than a couple of days.

If the weather is poor you can sit in them and cook in them and still get the outdoor feel.

This weekend my wife and I are going to be sleeping in an awning tent on a blow up bed while my daughter and some of her friends commandeer the motorhome.

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
20170527_132642.jpg
Will be using ours at Jim's site this weekend as we will be parked up for 3 days, we do put the bikes in there though and it's nice to sit out of the van.
We bought the Kampa Rally which is cheaper as it is a frame one not an air one, it only has the 6mm bead fitted so I pulled out the 6mm and shoved in a 4mm one so that it goes into the Fiamma awning.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007

That says it all, you just drive drive drive. When you learn to relax, one day, and stay in one spot for days you'll realise the benefit of the extra space.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
Use ours in uk when we have the grandchilden or friends with us. Don't take it abroad, but do have a fiamma front sheet which we take. Can't take awning and motorbike, so no contest.

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
I fancy one of those Kampa Rally Air awnings (there are other makes :D2). BUT, I (well we) have been talking ourselves out of it.

• No dogs to put in one
  • Inclement weather? Luckily, we haven't encountered much, but if so, sit inside
  • Mrs W says, " What's the point? The whole reason for having a Motorhome is to stop and have the kettle on in a jiffy.......If you've got to start climbing, slotting, pumping, pegging things out, it's just like camping!" AND "Where do we stow it, what about weight and what happens when it's soaking wet?" AND "I don't want to just sit anyway, I want to go places"

With all that said, I look at fellow Funsters and others sitting breeze-free with a nicely set table, having a drink and being able to nose and curtain-twitch from outside the van :D2

That's all of our Con's. Any Pro's? Are they worth the trouble? Or is it like my lad would say, "You might want it dad, but do you need it?"
Just realised that you were at Jim's when I took the picture and you saw the awning then.

Pia

Free Member
Jan 16, 2017
staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral Supreme 680ST
Exp
We have the wind-out awning with wind-blockers. No weighty awning to carry and easier to put up and fetch down if the weather's bad.

We don't normally stay anywhere long enough to put the big awning out anyway :)

We have this also...the wind blockers are fantastic..wouldn't be without them...would never have another awning (had many different types when caravaning)...they are an absolute pain to erect and they flutter about in the breeze making a heck of a noise at night :sleep::whistle::sleep::cry::D

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
View attachment 175307 Will be using ours at Jim's site this weekend as we will be parked up for 3 days, we do put the bikes in there though and it's nice to sit out of the van.
We bought the Kampa Rally which is cheaper as it is a frame one not an air one, it only has the 6mm bead fitted so I pulled out the 6mm and shoved in a 4mm one so that it goes into the Fiamma awning.

We have got one like that(y)

Our little bedroom fits inside it. It's quite cosy actually(y)

Reactions: Pia
OP
OP
wingman

wingman

Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Exp
Since 2012
Hello @Mikeco. Yes, I did see your awning at Jim's place. Hope you and wife are ok. You will be getting a season ticket at Camping Jasmin :D2

Oh, forgot to mention; no grandkids to poke in it either (We hoped at some stage that they would come, but they are too busy and don't DO outdoorsy).

Seems like it's 60/40 against awnings then?

John&Kate

Free Member
Aug 30, 2015
Waterlooville
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Sept 2015
I thought it was a must when we got 1st MH, then soon bought bigger better MH which could not take the awning/residence room.
I finally sold it recently and now Im not sure if I ever want to worry again. I see the benefit when pitched up on site, but small trips I dont think are worth the hassle.

Each to their own I suppose.

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
when we had a small van it was handy as a receptacle for shoes wet coats ect but dont bother now we have a bigger van as all ready said worth considering if your staying put somewhere to give extra space

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
we did the kampa air phase

002.JPG

and out grew it, but it was quite a hassle to put up and I am still convinced the weight of it damaged our wind out awning, which we have since replaced and added this

IMG_2537.JPG

but Bev likes her awning and I really like my Bev to be happy :):)

But going back to your OP, I don't reckon they would suit your use, so agree with all the reasons you say why not to get one (y)

May 1, 2015
Caerphilly
Funster No
MH
Rapido C86 Auto
Exp
Since 2014
Another thumbs up for a wind out awning and wind blockers

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Another thumbs up for a wind out awning and wind blockers

This is what we use for short stays, excellent, light weight but not as robust as a proper awning to leave out in changeable weather. You should seen us one day when a squall hit us out of the blue and nearly took the wind out awing off. Two startled old fools hanging on to the awning for dear life in the thrashing rain. Only damage was the cross bar for the wind blocker which just bent and fell out doing no damage.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User

• No dogs to put in one

Answered your own question really haven't you. (y)

Dazzlin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 31, 2012
La Marina, Costa Blanca.
Funster No
MH
1986 Hymer A Class
Exp
From 2013
Inherited an awning room with the van when we purchesed it 4 years ago.
Just put it up for the first time this weekend for the boy to stay in as we were visiting nearby......... He went home every night! But she loves it!!!!

First purchase for van when new was windblockers with membrane - only used half a dozen times.

Hope she gets bored of it, but will be taking to Benidorm in nov/december as we are doing 8 weeks on a site..........7 weeks more than we have ever done before.

Like - her
Hate - me

We don't need it!!!

gradyp

Free Member
Aug 18, 2011
Widnes
Funster No
MH
Elddis Supreme 155
Exp
We bought one of these
http://www.robertdyas.co.uk/quest-s...MI6uCAvOKT1QIV4b_tCh0j_QFAEAQYASABEgJ0KfD_BwE
at a resent show and have just used for 3 weeks in France as an outside dining room , keeping the flies away while eating.
One person can erect it in less than 2 mins. We also got the sides so at a push you could put a air bed inside and use it as a emergency bedroom
We are compulsive spenders , but this and the electric barbecue are two of this years good buys

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
We have an Air awning and really like although we don't use it all the time, It takes me about 20mins to set it up so no real hassle. We like to sit outside for breakfast so having the awning give me a little privacy while still in my boxers :).
It can also be nice to sit in it with a cold beer at night, also great if its wet weather which we do get sometimes in Scotland. We can leave all our wet gear hanging up in the awning and leave dirty walking boots outside, ours is a driveaway ( the awning doesn't driveaway the van does) so means we can detach it in 5 mins and head out.

May 1, 2015
Caerphilly
Funster No
MH
Rapido C86 Auto
Exp
Since 2014
This is what we use for short stays, excellent, light weight but not as robust as a proper awning to leave out in changeable weather. You should seen us one day when a squall hit us out of the blue and nearly took the wind out awing off. Two startled old fools hanging on to the awning for dear life in the thrashing rain. Only damage was the cross bar for the wind blocker which just bent and fell out doing no damage.

Must have been quite a sight :D .
Agree its not as robust as a proper awning but it does a good job of blocking moderate breezes and works well to reduce the glare and heat of the sun. Yes you do have to keep an eye on the weather but its so easy and quick to erect or dismantle and takes very little room.
Don't think we could justify the cost/faff of a real awning

Patrick

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Rather than go for a 'proper' attached MH awning why not consider something like a Quest Screen House instead - you can use it at home in the garden as well as when away in the camper when required.

Dec 4, 2014
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Been around the block a few timesšŸ˜‰
Another yes vote for inflatable awnings & electric pump (y)

Kingham

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 20, 2016
Kirkcudbright, D&G
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham 2017
Exp
Since 2009
We have an Air awning and really like although we don't use it all the time, It takes me about 20mins to set it up so no real hassle. We like to sit outside for breakfast so having the awning give me a little privacy while still in my boxers :).
It can also be nice to sit in it with a cold beer at night, also great if its wet weather which we do get sometimes in Scotland. We can leave all our wet gear hanging up in the awning and leave dirty walking boots outside, ours is a driveaway ( the awning doesn't driveaway the van does) so means we can detach it in 5 mins and head out.
That's a little bit quicker than mine takes to put up, but this being my first 'air beam' awning, I was surprised how much quicker it is to put up, than my previous steel framed driveaway awning.
I still wouldn't use it for a single night, but for 2 nights or more, it's worth the small effort and as you say, driving away is a doddle :cool:

grumps147

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
St.Helens
Funster No
MH
Between
Exp
MH 12 yrs -Tent/Caravan 49 years
Most of the pro's listed already, we only use ours if over 2 days in one spot, especially if we know the weather may not be kind, so we tend not to carry it all the time.

The biggest con for me comes with most awnings, taking down wet and, unless you are going to erect it again and it dries out as part of that process, taking it home wet and getting it dry if you can't erect it at home. Not an insurmountable problem, but a pain.

The second biggest con is if there are more than two of us, once we get grandchildren and luggage aboard we are right on our weight limit, so even though it may be a boon we just cannot take it.

Christoph

Free Member
Apr 9, 2016
Lytham
Funster No
MH
VW California
Exp
Since 2014
No! more trouble that they are worth in my opinion

Join us or log in to post a reply.