Free Member
Sep 10, 2021
North Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido 999M
Exp
Super Newbie
In our never ending search for a MH, we’ve automatically dismissed tag axels vehicles, but perhaps we shouldn’t…

We‘re looking for a van no less than around 7m, we will occasionally have 4 adults and a large dog, so the space is desirable for us.

Going above 7m isn’t necessary an issue for us, although that seems to be the sweet-spot.

What should I be concerned about? Will some sites not take these? Will I have more trouble parking at britstops type places?

It’s unlikely we’ll ever take the van to Europe more than once or twice in the next 5 years, if we do, it’ll be France, we’re not in a position for long trips.

So, U.K. based, lots of long weekends away, with a couple of longer trips around the U.K. each year.

Should we open up our search to something bigger / with a tag axel?

Are there things I should be aware of beyond 2 extra tyres and the extra length?

Apr 15, 2015
Whitchurch, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago E-Line 50
Exp
Since May 2011
We love our 8.8m tag axle but pitches and aires abroad can sometimes be a problem and very dear for motorway tolls as treated as 3 axle lorry!
Only ever been charged Class 2 on the toll. We’re well under 3 metres tall and that seems to be the main trigger for Class 3/4.

Upvote 0

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
They have focussed on counting the axles on the manned booths so we have done very little on toll roads!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Deleted User
I’ve had one for 2 years, toured France, Germany and UK without any problems. We’re 8.1m long, Fiat Ducato / Alko, played at 5000kg but could be easily increased.

Load capacity of about 1000kg but only weighs about 4800 in full touring mode, so need to upgrade for us.

Only had single rear axles prior to this and, as already said, difference in ride and stability is chalk and cheese compared with Alko single rear axle.

Greatly improved ride quality and stability. Lower tyre pressures probably help, only about 50 to 55psi in the rears (each axle 1600kgs) instead of 70 to 80psi on a 2500kg single rear axle.

Turning circle is a bit larger but, other than that, no downsides for us. Done 12500 miles so far. Rear tyres aren’t even half worn yet, so no complaints there. Fronts are showing more wear than the rears.
adding to this, in regards to additional rear tyre wear on a tag axle,
When i bought this 2012 tag axle MH it had 21,000 miles on the clock, and im pretty sure it was still on the original tyres it left the factory with! (because they were all 10 years old).
Loads of tread on them, it was the cracking side walls that meant they needed replacing not the tyre wear.
10yrs on a set of tyres, im not sure the additional wear is even a consideration.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back