Pro's and con's of older motorhomes advice pls. (1 Viewer)

Sep 4, 2011
Funster No
MH
No more
We had a Autocruise Valentine which had everything we needed inside and drove lovely without any faults, then we were informed about the Low Emissions as we live in London, Having spent £3000 on particulate filter and 5 trips back to the garage because it didn't work properly we sold the motorhome at a great loss:cry: You just can't fit new to old without trouble.

Rob.

Nov 6, 2011
Worthing
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky Ti
Exp
2001 to date
We have a 12 year old Benimar on a Fiat Ducato base. We have spent an eternity looking at new vans at shows, in preperation of up-grade in three years time. Now I am having second thoughts about up-grading. Our van has averaged 4000 miles a year since new and been serviced every year. Mechanically it drives like a dream and averages 25-28MPG depending on weight of foot. The habitation area is good quality and solid compared to new vans, but is old fashioned in comparisson. We will enjoy it for another three years before making the decision. :thumb:

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
We had a G reg Pilote A Class turn out 25mpg the build was far superior to anything now a days, only prob, for me anyway, was it was not Power Steering.

Change to a Auto trail CI Carioca with an 02 rego

Wish we Hadn't:Doh:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
4matt

4matt

Free Member
Jan 15, 2013
East Riding
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I'm a newbie in my second year.
I am loving this thread and all the replies, thank you all so much. We have been debating this issue a lot at home, I must admit it was I that was leaning toward a newer MH. My other half was, for a change, in favour of an older one. "Just in case we don't like MH holidays" I guess that is sensible, after all, one of the MH's we looked at was only a year old and the sales man at the dealer told us the owners had decided to go back to a Caravan.

I look forward to seeing more replies. :thumb:

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
Most of the older vans were overbuilt
whereas most modern gin palace's are Friday late jobbies
That need analysis at the slightest problem.
And never believe everything you are told by salesmen :Eeek:

Now I wait for the incoming flac :winky:

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I am sorry if this has already been posted here but it is the general view that it takes owning a couple of vans before you end up with the one best suited to your needs (which often change as you find out more about this motorhoming lark.)

So if this turns out to be true in your case then there is a strong case for starting with a more affordable one.

JJ:Cool:

Last edited:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
If its your first venture into motorhoming then the sensible thing is hire one first. If after that you are both sleeping in the same bed, then buy something older that you can afford and try the life. If then you are still in the same bed and you want something better then you wont lose to much hard earned when you sell. Layout can make or break the deal.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Our first 'decent' motorhome was a 20 year old LHD Hobby on a 2.4l Ducato chassis.

Absolutely great van and the reason we ended up sticking with motorhoming.. I would have NO worries about buying another 20 year old motorhome.

Jerseycol

Free Member
Jul 3, 2009
Jersey channel islands
Funster No
MH
Swift kontiki Fairway
Exp
older M/H

Hi Just reading the all the comments about older Motorhomes,I bought my first M/H in July 2010,it is a Eldiss Autoking 1988 one previous owner who kept it in pristine condition.
The story goes he went to earls court expo back in the day and saw the Eldiss stand liked what he saw but had the interior slightly modified,which is great i have to say a large open lounge living space with the kitchen,bathroom,and toilet at the back can quite easily fit 6 to 8 around the table once set up,it has a drop down bed over the front captains seats.I live in Jersey and the van has only ever traveled through Europe with the previous owner, unfortunately since buying the M/H work has been very busy and also we have had quite a lot of commitments with family so we only use the M/H locally as yet but hope to take her off island soon.
Jerseycol

Mikemoss

Free Member
Aug 14, 2007
Corsham, Wilts
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Our Bessie has the same layout as the Swift the OP is looking at, and was made in the same factory. Looking at its history, the first owner seemed to have gone on a world tour in it, amassing a fair old mileage within three years. The second owner added to this, bringing the total to 65,000 miles. Then the third only hardly used it over the next 18 months and the dealer had it in stock for another year before we bought it.

The result: the dealer needed to fit a new clutch and two new batteries before handing it over, and we found that the brakes needed a minor overhaul and fluid change in the early months of our ownership. One wheel bearing seized, and the tyres needed replaching within the first year. The engine performance improved markedly the more we drove it, and the whole vehicle gradually came back to life, as it were, the more we used it.

If those were the downsides of buying an older van (having part exchanged a much younger one, by the way), then everything since then has been pretty positive. The build quality of the furniture and furnishings remains excellent, no leaks and everything still works the way it should.

Looking at the new equivalent (at ~£70,000) I see more things I don't like than those I do. I see a lowering in quality standards in the habitation side, but I do expect that the mechanical side and the driving experience would both be better. The bit I can't understand is why the newer vans weigh so much more, when mine has proper wood in its construction and everything seems built to last. Surely microwaves don't weigh that much, do they?

OP
OP
4matt

4matt

Free Member
Jan 15, 2013
East Riding
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I am sorry if this has already been posted here but it is the general view that it takes owning a couple of vans before you end up with the one best suited to your needs (which often change as you find out more about this motorhoming lark.)

So if this turns out to be true in your case then there is a strong case for starting with a more affordable one.

JJ:Cool:
That sounds very sensible to me JJ

OP
OP
4matt

4matt

Free Member
Jan 15, 2013
East Riding
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Mikemoss, Thanks for that reply. Very interesting reading, it would appear that using it frequently is the best thing for it to keep it in good order.

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
F
Mikemoss, Thanks for that reply. Very interesting reading, it would appear that using it frequently is the best thing for it to keep it in good order.

In my opinion yes you are correct.
You. Then get to know every square ince of it squeak by squeak :winky:

Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now
I like my older MH--

Others like new ones-
I have to thank them, as all old MH`s were bought new, somewhere, a long time ago ::bigsmile:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )

One of the advantages of constant use is you REALLY get to know your van.. Might sound a bit weird but it is amazing how many folk really believe they know their mh but then a fuse pops or some other minor thing happens and suddenly they are stuck !

All vans suffer the odd problem.. Constant use means you ( well me anyway ! ) tend to fix it straight away ( usually while Woman is sunning herself and reading a book ! ).
It gives me something to do and helps to keep bills to a minimum

But then, I enjoy fiddling around as it is, for me, all part of the hobby :thumb:

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
cruiser

i have my talbart from new i brought in 1990. apart from a exhaust.that went wrong in spain.no props. lok after it well and they just keep going. the only thing i have put on it is elec power steering.the steering was fne just me getting old. :RollEyes:

bfb

Free Member
Jun 25, 2012
Aldershot
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Pro's and Con's of old/new motorhomes

Hi All,
Just thought I would stick in my two pennyworth.
Rights/wrongs really doesn't matter. It's what suits you best.
Me personally I spent nearly 5 years researching makes of motorhomes. My personal choice was to get an A Class. The make I settled on was the Hymer.
I based this on build quality and reputation.Next was the base. Either a Fiat or Mercedes..
Then it was the last 2-3 years searching the ads. Finally I spotted a Hymer BM640. It was everything my Wife and I wanted. Although I wanted a corner/transverse permanent bed it didn't really matter it ticked all the right boxes. It is a 97 model with only 44000 miles on the clock. We took it away and spent a night in it on the way home. Woke up half way through the night sweating. Switched the central heating off. The previous owner was right. It's so well insulated only need the heating on at 13-15 max even in winter with 6" of snow on it. I put it in to a Mercedes agent for replacement glow plugs (3) and a new GP timer which was a fault which the previous owner pointed out.
My wife and I traveled to France, through Belgium to Holland for a competition. Toured Holland to visit friends then back home. Never missed a beat. Everybody including the garage said the engine was superb ( 2.8 5 cylinder) and that the home was in fantastic condition. The overhead dropdown bed tickles everyone who sees it. My friend who bought new a 2.2 mh only gets 23-25 mpg whereas I get 27mpg average.
Yes it's horses for courses. This one suits me as does my friends but he has since learned after a remark I made that he would lose 10-12k if he sold it in the first year. Ouch!
To do on my MH. Buy a second Leisure battery then a generator. Two new push on connectors for the bathroom sink tap. The old ones are weeping.
All in all I'm happy. I do expect to have to work on her in the future but am happy with that.
Does anybody know what is the maximum age for tyres. Mine are 5 years old, in excellent condition with good tread. But with MH's standing for longer periods of time than cars and a lot more weight to carry I'm worried about setting in the steel belts. Also new tyres can be bought specifically for MH's. The local tyre depot showed me the markings in a book. Should we buy these in the future and what is the law on this?

Enjoy

BFB

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back