Pros and Cons of Motorhome Covers (1 Viewer)

Oct 29, 2010
Funster No
MH
Chausson 611 Travel Line
Exp
Since 2008
I will not be using my motorhome during the winter months and it will be stored in a Cassoa site. I have been looking at the merits of a motorhome cover (been looking at Pro Tec which claims to be breathable and non scratch on a clean motorhome surface), perhaps with a window in the top such that the solar panel remains exposed. Any ideas from funsters based on their own experience, gratefully received. Cheers. MikeG

PS I already have a silver screen windscreen cover and wheel covers.

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
a while ago we had a " breathable no scratch "! cover and there were two key reasons we got rid of it;;

1. it was a pain to put on and get off and getting in and out of the van with it fitted to do a few checks over the winter.

but more importantly

2. it was the one and only time that we have ever had mildew in any part of the van even with the crystal type dehumidifiers to such dampness out of the air in place.
got rid before we got the current van

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
PS; a good wash down and wax polish then raised slightly so the water runs off the roof i find works for me. but we do use the van most of the time with the exception from around mid December through to about mid February.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
We have a Protec cover ... beautifully made (y)
However the first time I used it and left the m/have for a few days I came back to find every internal surface running with condensation so now only use it with a dehumidifier running most of the time.

OllieUK

Free Member
Jun 23, 2013
Ramsgate
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E520
Exp
Since 2009
We have a Protec cover ... beautifully made (y)
However the first time I used it and left the m/have for a few days I came back to find every internal surface running with condensation so now only use it with a dehumidifier running most of the time.

Quote from Protec website :-
Our motorhome covers use the exclusive Protex 003 material to protect against UV rays, rain, rust, snow, sun, dust, dirt, tree sap and bird droppings. As Protex 003 is breathable, the cover will also protect from mould, mildew and condensation as the cover will allow naturally occuring moisture to evaporate. Our material is independently proven by lab reports to be significantly more breathable than out nearest competitor.

Is there a right and wrong way to fit these covers?
Why do some folk say they are brilliant to protect your van while others say different?
Do you have to check regularly for damp/condensation whilst the cover is on.
The Protec 003 layer covers are quite expensive compared to say Maypole 4 layer cover by over £100 +

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
Quote from Protec website :-
Our motorhome covers use the exclusive Protex 003 material to protect against UV rays, rain, rust, snow, sun, dust, dirt, tree sap and bird droppings. As Protex 003 is breathable, the cover will also protect from mould, mildew and condensation as the cover will allow naturally occuring moisture to evaporate. Our material is independently proven by lab reports to be significantly more breathable than out nearest competitor.

Is there a right and wrong way to fit these covers?
Why do some folk say they are brilliant to protect your van while others say different?
Do you have to check regularly for damp/condensation whilst the cover is on.
The Protec 003 layer covers are quite expensive compared to say Maypole 4 layer cover by over £100 +
As I said, Protec are very well made but still can suffer from condensation as I found ... ours is a full cover now where I had no problems with our previous cover which was only a top cover except it flapped around in the wind and the straps marked some windows.
With the full cover it is much easier to keep tight to prevent rubbing ...They are quite heavy on a large m/h and there is an art to fitting them.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Nothing is breathable while it is raining and I think the claims about condensation refer to condensation between the cover and the outside of the MH.
Condensation inside the van will I am afraid be due to them being put away with dampness inside.

OllieUK

Free Member
Jun 23, 2013
Ramsgate
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E520
Exp
Since 2009
Nothing is breathable while it is raining and I think the claims about condensation refer to condensation between the cover and the outside of the MH.
Condensation inside the van will I am afraid be due to them being put away with dampness inside.

Makes sense then to use a demidifier / heater before covering the van??
I have been storing mine indoors but last year damage was caused to the exterior whilst there. at my cost. That's why the interest in covers.

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
We bought a 'Protec' cover for our Eriba caravan some years ago, from their stand at the NEC.....(still got it packed away somewhere). Anyway, used it for a couple of months....BUT, found it was 'dulling' some of the windows when the wind caught it, and rubbing on one side of the paintwork. Never used it again. My mate bought one at the same time, but didn't give up as I did. He taped grey pipe insulation around his windows to keep the cover away from them, but got fed up of doing it in the end

FJmike

Free Member
Jul 17, 2014
Swindon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
over ten years
I always tell my customers not to bother with covers as I have seen some very bad damage where the cover has worn through the gel coat on corners and edges, also last winter was very wet and this spring I had a large number of vans which had been covered and had a lot of green mold on every internal surface. These were all high quality "breathable" covers. I did see the instructions on a brand new quality cover and was amused to see that the manufacturer advised to remove cover in severe weather conditions. I don't know if it was weather related or not but this spring I did notice a large number of vans that needed polishing had swirl marks on them , this could have been the owners didn't clean the van properly before covering or could have been the cover grinding mold into the van surface, what ever it was it was a right swine to polish out.

PS still waiting to hear from Jim ref. forum sponsorship

Jun 16, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hymer CL 554
Exp
Since May 2014
We covered our caravan with a protect cover as it was parked near trees and we didn't use it in the winter. Also we felt it would appease the neighbours :)

We founf it a real pain to put on and take off . If wet if was also a pain to store. The caravan did suffer from condensation and i woukd have to go in and wipe the ceilings down! We are 100% not bothering with it ever again and will not be getting one for our motorhome. We also intend to use it more in the winter than the caravan was used. :)

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
As we store ours outdoors and our roof has let water through in the past I've thought long and hard about a cover, but I can't see it doing anything other than keeping the roof damp by not letting it dry naturally. Having a 'window' for a solar panel would be pointless as solar panels struggle to keep batteries alive in the UK in winter anyway. Placing a layer over a solar panel, even a clear one, will just make your panel less efficient and let your batteries flatten more often. At present we just about get away with panels plus a drive round every 4 weeks in winter.

I also reckon that having your windows uncovered allows air to circulate better inside the van on sunny days and ventilate confined spaces like cupboards if their doors are left open.

The other thing I notice on the storage site in general is how many MH and caravan covers end up flapping loose in the breeze after a decent blow, apparently unbeknown to their owners.

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Maypole 4 layer breatheable cover is excellent (under £100 for 6m cover) - have used for many years on caravans & now on our motorhome. Wash motorhome, spray with Bobby Dazzler & pull on cover (even if still damp) then months later after a winter of being used as target practise by birds, torrential rain & wind uncover & so clean doesn't need washing(y) No damage from cover moving as it has elasticated bottom & adjustable straps. Doesn't make caravan/motorhome damp inside in our experience but if you are concerned can put a dehumidifier set on low inside - we did this with our caravans but the motorhome is so well ventilated that not needed. As well as not having to wash it so often the UV degradation & general ageing is greatly reduced :) Don't forget to use tyre covers too! Only downsides are that it takes 2 to put the cover on & a bit fiddly at first but easier with practise, solar panel is covered so hook up needs to be connected to maintain battery for alarm & more difficult to access motorhome having to unzip part & lift cover. Still think that the positives outweigh the negatives by far for us.

T

Tackle man

Deleted User
We bought a 'Protec' cover for our Eriba caravan some years ago, from their stand at the NEC.....(still got it packed away somewhere). Anyway, used it for a couple of months....BUT, found it was 'dulling' some of the windows when the wind caught it, and rubbing on one side of the paintwork. Never used it again. My mate bought one at the same time, but didn't give up as I did. He taped grey pipe insulation around his windows to keep the cover away from them, but got fed up of doing it in the end
We did the same as you. Bought an Eriba Puck caravan a long time ago. Protec advised us to put clingfilm on the windows before fitting the cover. We had no marks in our 8 years of ownership.

T

Tackle man

Deleted User
I live by the sea and the only "Cover" I have on my MH is G3 Glasscoat. Its so easy to clean. (y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back