Proposed border openings. (1 Viewer)

Jan 22, 2012
Wigan
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun TI 2012
Exp
My mate in Jersey keeps telling me that the French border may be opening to tourists on June 15th. I checked this morning and the Guardian and other papers also seem to be suggesting this. Also French - German border may also be opening. Some hopeful signs suggesting the EU seems to be pushing for countries experiencing the same level of virus 'hits' should start to consider it. There seems to be some countries creating border bubbles where countries allow neighbouring countries to cross borders eg. Baltic states, Switzerland etc . Not certain but 'hopeful'. https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/may/12/eu-reopen-borders-tourists-covid-19-recovery-plan

Last edited:

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
Might be some time before open to U.K. but might be proved wrong . Perhaps when your death rate falls

Lot lover

Free Member
May 13, 2016
Lot, France
Funster No
MH
Le Voyageur Integral
Exp
New boy
I hope not. Our death rate has fallen and I would not want tourists from countries with a worse record putting me at risk.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
15th June the borders between CH - DE, CH - FR and CH - AT are fully open (this is subject to a statement from each country that will be announced on 29th May) but in theory it should happen?

You can cross before then but only for business or other valid reasons.

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
15th June the borders between CH - DE, CH - FR and CH - AT are fully open (this is subject to a statement from each country that will be announced on 29th May) but in theory it should happen?

You can cross before then but only for business or other valid reasons.
Can you provide a référence for this please as haven’t seen it here .

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
I hope not. Our death rate has fallen and I would not want tourists from countries with a worse record putting me at risk.
Apart from the USA is there a country with a worse record than UK?

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
Thank you for that :) Haven’t seen it reported here yet .

I hadn't either. Only picked it up as i received it from my local chamber of commerce (just noticed there's an English option top RHS of the page)

jessthedog

Free Member
Aug 24, 2016
south east
Funster No
MH
A
Apart from the USA is there a country with a worse record than UK?
Spain, Italy, Belguim, San marino, Andorra all have a worse Mortality rate per population than UK.
France have 420 per million and we have 495. So don’t Go thinkIng all of Europe are doing such a brilliant job.
We wont know until it is all over, for us to get the True figs from each country. I dont think we ever will!

Jan 19, 2020
Funster No
MH
DBM 7150
Exp
Since 2016
Slovenia opened its borders to EU residents today.

Jan 19, 2020
Funster No
MH
DBM 7150
Exp
Since 2016
Spain, Italy, Belguim, San marino, Andorra all have a worse Mortality rate per population than UK.
France have 420 per million and we have 495. So don’t Go thinkIng all of Europe are doing such a brilliant job.
We wont know until it is all over, for us to get the True figs from each country. I dont think we ever will!

But the rates especially of new cases has fallen much quicker than in the UK which is still relatively high and would cause neighbouring countries a major concern..

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
i have already booked for the 16th June - but its on the tunnel so i can move around/amend as much as i want

jessthedog

Free Member
Aug 24, 2016
south east
Funster No
MH
A
But the rates especially of new cases has fallen much quicker than in the UK which is still relatively high and would cause neighbouring countries a major concern..
This might be because we are testing more. If you test more, you pick up more cases. We have carried out more than 1m more tests than France.
Also our hospital admissions have fallen dramatically.
Im not saying it is over, by a long way!

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012

The numbers don't matter, Europe will use it as an excuse to punish the UK for Brexit. Black sheep of Europe now:( this is at least the mutterings i'm hearing from different countries.

Jan 19, 2020
Funster No
MH
DBM 7150
Exp
Since 2016
This might be because we are testing more. If you test more, you pick up more cases. We have carried out more than 1m more tests than France.
Also our hospital admissions have fallen dramatically.
Im not saying it is over, by a long way!

Since 1st May 6000 deaths reported in the Uk, 3000 in France.. 56000new cases in the UK, 10500 in France.
I'm sure the figures would be more striking compared to Italy or Spain.

People can tap dance as much as they want those figures speak for themselves.

Slow to take notice, slow to react means slow to recover...

Lot lover

Free Member
May 13, 2016
Lot, France
Funster No
MH
Le Voyageur Integral
Exp
New boy
The numbers don't matter, Europe will use it as an excuse to punish the UK for Brexit. Black sheep of Europe now:( this is at least the mutterings i'm hearing from different countries.

The truth will never come out if it shows a govt in an unfavourable light. Note the non publication of the league table for published death numbers. At least UK is top in something.

jessthedog

Free Member
Aug 24, 2016
south east
Funster No
MH
A
I was only answering a question from Viennese about who had a worse mortality rate than UK.

You are right on the numbers! It does seems that they are being used like a massive cricket score, to mark how a country is doing in the fight against Covid. Until we have honest Government's working from the same set of rules, we will never know. Even then, it all depends on a load of factors, on how it spreads.

As for Europe punishing the Uk. I don't know. We don't need Europe to beat us up, we seem quite capable of giving ourselves a good kicking! It's become a National sport.

Last edited:

Lot lover

Free Member
May 13, 2016
Lot, France
Funster No
MH
Le Voyageur Integral
Exp
New boy
But we all need someone to blame. One cannot always blame the govt which we or you chose.

jessthedog

Free Member
Aug 24, 2016
south east
Funster No
MH
A
Since 1st May 6000 deaths reported in the Uk, 3000 in France.. 56000new cases in the UK, 10500 in France.
I'm sure the figures would be more striking compared to Italy or Spain.

People can tap dance as much as they want those figures speak for themselves.

Slow to take notice, slow to react means slow to recover...
Not arguing with you about how we reacted. I was warning everyone I knew it was coming in early Jan. They all thought I had lost it!
It seems France did get it earlier, so are further ahead than us.
The problem is, the Figures don't speak for themselves, because we don't know how accurate they are.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Not arguing with you about how we reacted. I was warning everyone I knew it was coming in early Jan. They all thought I had lost it!
It seems France did get it earlier, so are further ahead than us.
The problem is, the Figures don't speak for themselves, because we don't know how accurate they are.
I think the excess deaths in the end might mean something but after its all over. At the moment there are so many different ways of recording things that unless you are looking at trends over time with the same measuring criteria or really huge differences it's hard to tell much.

Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+

Didn’t Brussels announce just last week that they were working on a solution whereby all members of the EU adhered to an agreement on Border Policy in that they would all be singing off the same hymn sheet and this included the UK as at present we are still a Member.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Didn’t Brussels announce just last week that they were working on a solution whereby all members of the EU adhered to an agreement on Border Policy in that they would all be singing off the same hymn sheet and this included the UK as at present we are still a Member.
They did but also said that it was for areas in a similar situation.

Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+
They did but also said that it was for areas in a similar situation.

Oh, well if that’s the case I can’t see movement working cross border as you pass over so many trying to get into one that’s your final destination.
Appears to be another plan that needs work.
At the end of the day Covid is never going away completely it’s only ever going to be contained long term through Medication and life along with movement has to go on so at some point the acceptance by all of a solution will have to be agreed.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Oh, well if that’s the case I can’t see movement working cross border as you pass over so many trying to get into one that’s your final destination.
Appears to be another plan that needs work.
At the end of the day Covid is never going away completely it’s only ever going to be contained long term through Medication and life along with movement has to go on so at some point the acceptance by all of a solution will have to be agreed.
Well there are areas where theres a similar incidence looking at opening up. Its little different to if the incidence across the UK varies a lot there could be different restrictions in different areas.
A lot of the borders I recon will open fairly soon.

Jan 19, 2020
Funster No
MH
DBM 7150
Exp
Since 2016
I think the excess deaths in the end might mean something but after its all over. At the moment there are so many different ways of recording things that unless you are looking at trends over time with the same measuring criteria or really huge differences it's hard to tell much.

As you say it is the trends that are key..

Oct 20, 2010
Burry Port South Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2003
We all know figures can and will be manipulated by the politicians to suit their needs.
Russia has now moved up to second in the world with over 10,000 new cases today, but with an extremely low mortality rate which I hope is correct, but suspect it may not be.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
We all know figures can and will be manipulated by the politicians to suit their needs.
Russia has now moved up to second in the world with over 10,000 new cases today, but with an extremely low mortality rate which I hope is correct, but suspect it may not be.
Does it include dr's jumping out of windows?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back