Prohibition of Motor Caravans in Scarborough area. (1 Viewer)

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Completed and suggested they provide an Aire also explained what an Aire is, but I expect it will fall on deaf ears.
I also put that making one or two of there lital use car parks in to a are would for one get rid of the free loaders as blue bade or not they would have to pay no exemptions would create revenue and would help to control enforcement would free up parking on road in residential aria's control liquid waste and the litter problem
created by so many
have bylaws to prevent parking of motor homes for more than 4hrs in street parking
bill

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Reactions: CWH

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Since 2011, previously a tugger
Completed with pleasure. Have you thought about posting this link on any of the facebook motorhome groups?

Fletton

Free Member
Oct 19, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky I Plus 650LG
Exp
First MoHo - April 2015
I've just read the background to the proposal here...

Broken Link Removed

IMO Their reasons are somewhat weak and lacking in fact - mostly assumptions and opinion based...

My guess is; it is founded on a few folk that think ... " We bought this seafront/view property for £x... Why should [they] get it for free.... It's ours!" mentality...

I also noted that the consultation page does not link to the actual proposal for reference - I had to go and search for it...

However, because "Joe Public" is unlikey to respond in any great number (either way) - I fear that the Council ( and the instigators) will have its/their will fulfilled...

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Completed and suggested they provide an Aire also explained what an Aire is, but I expect it will fall on deaf ears.
NYCC and Scarborough Borough are well aware of what aires are. As has been well documented in the past, a proposal to allow overnighting in SBC car parks failed not because they didn't want it but because the effects of long standing planning policies gave them no choice.

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Since 2011, previously a tugger

Broken Link Removed

IMO Their reasons are somewhat weak and lacking in fact - mostly assumptions and opinion based...

My guess is; it is founded on a few folk that think ... " We bought this seafront/view property for £x... Why should [they] get it for free.... It's ours!" mentality...

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
The Burghers of Scarborough would have had a fit if they knew that my Mum and Dad plus me across the bench front seat slept in a Morris Oxford estate car on their pier in the 50's.
The car had swish curtain rail all the way around for privacy.

Funny really. I never had Dad as a trendsetter.

Reactions: GJH
Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999
I have filled in the questionnaire, for all the good it will do.
As an aside, perhaps you will now understand the persecution that bikers have had to suffer because of the antisocial antics of a few.

Feb 8, 2014
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Eldis Majestic 115
Exp
Vans and tugs since mid 70's
Filled in but don't expect them to reply. Idiots, lost revenue to these towns but easy way out for lazy laid-back councillors

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Haven't you read Broken Link Removed Brian? :)

Yes, what I'm saying is, and of course some of us do not know this, facilities on mainland Europe are so much better than here he'll not waste his time here again. I wasn't suggesting he wild camped in La Belle France because there is no need to.

For all that we may be wandering UK Aug/Sept depending how family things work out.

Then maybe wander down to Sicily for Christmas.

No firm plans yet apart from Italy in May/June.

Reactions: GJH

Deleted User

Broken Link Removed

I also noted that the consultation page does not link to the actual proposal for reference - I had to go and search for it...

However, because "Joe Public" is unlikey to respond in any great number (either way) - I fear that the Council ( and the instigators) will have its/their will fulfilled...

If I had paid many thousands of pounds for a house with a sea view in Scarborough or Filey I do not think I would take kindly to having a campsite on my front door.

Would you like a row of motorhomes parked outside your home, I know I wouldn't, if I had one.

Personally I can see nothing wrong in the ban but agree that proper facilities should be provided at reasonable cost.

Fletton

Free Member
Oct 19, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky I Plus 650LG
Exp
First MoHo - April 2015
If I had paid many thousands of pounds for a house with a sea view in Scarborough or Filey I do not think I would take kindly to having a campsite on my front door.

Would you like a row of motorhomes parked outside your home, I know I wouldn't, if I had one.

Personally I can see nothing wrong in the ban but agree that proper facilities should be provided at reasonable cost.

I guess I was being a little harsh - and unsympathetic .... and for that I'm sorry... However, we do not know if there is a campsite or just the odd van now and again :) or how many of the residents are/have complained etc.

My real point was the excuses they are using for the ban... Rather than telling it how it is :)

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I believe it started with the residents of God's waiting room......the southern end of the Esplanade.
what used to be Victorian mill owners summer residences, now mainly owned by the elderly waiting out their last years.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I guess I was being a little harsh - and unsympathetic .... and for that I'm sorry... However, we do not know if there is a campsite or just the odd van now and again :) or how many of the residents are/have complained etc.

My real point was the excuses they are using for the ban... Rather than telling it how it is :)
The introduction to the Statement of Reasons starts
There are a number of attractive sea front streets within the sea side towns in Scarborough Borough, which in recent years, with the increase in the interest in motor caravanning, have seen a proliferation in the amount of motor caravans parking and being occupied for a number of nights on the highway.
It is considered that the volume of motor caravans seeking access to these streets for this purpose detracts from the amenities of the streets for their residents and other highway users.
It is reported that heavily affected seaside streets often experience one motor caravan being replaced by another.
Anyone who has followed this story over the past several years will know that the council have been dealing with residential complaints for a long time. Whether we like it or not, local councils have to balance the needs of all the different sections of society. Also whether we like it or not, some people do not want big white vans outside their homes day after day and week after week.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I think the only people who should have a say on the matter are those it affects directly .. ie the residents and local businesses..

Would you object to people camping in your street and making it look like a Itinerant campsite .. ?

If you answer yes, then I don't see how you can complain about others having the same objection..
or perhaps you don't mind ? If that is the case then put your address up so it can be used for free camping.. and advise if you provide water and waste dumping..

As far as an aire being provided, that is down to the council .. not having an aire doesn't entitle you to camp where you please..

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
not having an aire doesn't entitle you to camp where you please..
I looked into roadside camping in general almost 6 years ago. The results are Here.

Generally speaking (as borne out by a number of posters in the past) local authorities don't act against people camping at the roadside. Where it is low key that is probably because they are not even aware of it happening. Action tends to be taken (and stories make the media) only where the practice becomes more than low key. Scarborough Borough is an example of the latter.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Where it is low key that is probably because they are not even aware of it happening.

yes indeed graham , and a good write up .. (y)

.. that is the cornerstone of wild camping.. 'Low Key' , not outstaying your welcome, taking nothing but memories leaving nothing behind except friends.. camping in someones street is not wild camping.. it's free loading and when it becomes a blight on people's lives they have every right to complain.. whether we see their way or not is of no consequence.. we don't live there.

Still waiting for the list of useful free parking addresses with dumping .. think I might have a long wait.. ;)

Last edited:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Still waiting for the list of useful free parking addresses with dumping .. think I might have a long wait.. ;)
Park on our street whenever you want...i can even provide hookup.

But our only neighbour is a self opinionated idiot and likes slashing tyres in the late hours.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I looked into roadside camping in general almost 6 years ago. The results are Here.
Regular gov departments then.......good at passing the buck.
From those statements there doesnt appear to be any restrictions as neither can refer you to them saying its the other departments department....or they couldnt be bothered hunting them down.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Regular gov departments then.......good at passing the buck.
From those statements there doesnt appear to be any restrictions as neither can refer you to them saying its the other departments department....or they couldnt be bothered hunting them down.
No John, the apparent buck passing came about because I didn't realise that the DfT and HA were part of the same organisation.
FoIA only requires departments to provide information which they hold, not to go hunting for information which may or may not be held elsewhere.
The fact that the DfT/HA holds no information regarding restrictions makes it virtually certain that, as concluded, there appears to be no national legislation which either specifically permits or prohibits roadside camping, because if there were then they would hold it.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back