Probs a stupid question about parking up at home (1 Viewer)

xtrouble

Free Member
Aug 24, 2011
Durham
Funster No
MH
Just dreaming !
Exp
Apologies in advance, as this is the first of (probably) many daft questions.

I havent got a drive at my house, but do have a large front garden. Rather than getting a large percentage of it paved or tarmaced, I have seen this and wondered if I could use the heavy duty stuff it as a permanent base for the MH ?

I have seen that there can be problems parking long term over grass from the moisture rising, would a good dose of wayoyl help with this, or do I need to bite the bullet and either pay out for storage, or getting a proper drive laid ?

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
cant really help other than to say that on a few sites in france they have used that stuff on the pitches usually its layed then the seed is put on and grows around the plastic webbing

Upvote 0

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
moisture from grass will cause rust problems long term even with waxoyl, plus mice like grass and WILL eventually invade your motorhome. a concrete base is the only way reallyif you lay slabs or blocks the pesky mice make runs underneath them and come up through the cracks. If you can fit an ultrasonic vermin device it will help, there are battery and mains ones on the market

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

pat101

Free Member
Mar 16, 2008
cornwall
Funster No
Exp
Well it's cheaper than a hard permeant surface for sure. No doubt you are out of my area of works.

But if you wish to contact me for pricing details on a solid surface I would be happy to help and advise free of course.

And no I'm not touting. + I'm not a Itinerant.

Cheers

Pat

Upvote 0

John H

Free Member
Sep 2, 2009
Anglesey
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
3rd year

I havent got a drive at my house, but do have a large front garden. Rather than getting a large percentage of it paved or tarmaced, I have seen this and wondered if I could use the heavy duty stuff it as a permanent base for the MH ?

I have seen that there can be problems parking long term over grass from the moisture rising, would a good dose of wayoyl help with this, or do I need to bite the bullet and either pay out for storage, or getting a proper drive laid ?

You may find you need planning permission to turn any garden into a hard surface. there were planning laws being put into place to stop flooding due to surface water not being able to soak away, I'm not sure if they are yet in force.

Regards, John

Just a thought, you can now buy water permeable brick paving, the council are usualy happy for this to be used.

Upvote 0

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
As said above, even with Waxoil or whatever underseal you use your MH will still get rust/rot..

Your grass will look horrible and "Die" . even using that matting stuff, if your MH is left in the same spot for any length of time.... you would need to move it every 3 - 4 days to stop that happenining... and need to leave the spot you have moved from for about a week to a fortnight for the grass to recoupe..

Also worth pointing out... Check with your council but a lot dont favour driving over a Public footpath unless you have a dropped "Kerb".. In fact if you dont have a dropped kerb it is probably illegal in the local council byelaws.. :Sad:

If you have a dropped kerb why not dig out and put hardcore down and then get a couple of mtrs of stone and put down with a nice wood border.. :thumb:

Upvote 0

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Agree with Old Mo about the legality of driving over the footpath without a drop kerb.

It must be done by an approved council contractor who won't proceed without planning permission.. but check with your council.. they may have different rules.

I've just had mine done but not laid the drive yet and even though my car is out most days the grass is dead..

As for the matting.. agree with the others.. better with hard core and shingle or tar mac.

or if you are rich have it done with block paving .. I had a quote for mine , 40sq mt would cost about £3k ... :whatthe:

on line calculator http://www.blockpavingdirect.co.uk/block-paving-cost-calculator.asp

Upvote 0

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
With block paving you need to choose the contractor carefully. There are several round here which looked good initially but fairly soon showed signs of sinking (especially where vehicles have passed over) because of insufficiently robust hardcore layer below.

Upvote 0
Apr 23, 2008
chelmsford Essex
Funster No
MH
Swift BESSACAR 597
Exp
parking

Have a look at the rubber/plastic matting (we have used this for a shed base works vey well) you can fill in the holes with gravel giving you a good surface to park on and if you put ground sheet down first the grass wont grow through! :thumb:

Upvote 0

steveclecy

Free Member
Jun 10, 2009
Wirral
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since June 2009
Far from a daft question! We don't have the luxury of being able to park on our front and therefore have to pay for storage. We are paying just under £30 per month for "Silver" level secure storageLink Removed. Most Insurance companies (with notable exception of Saga) are happy with this. I am on a hard standing with 24 hour access.

You pays your money and makes your choice. It is not as convenient as having it at home (pre-packing and recharging battery etc) but at least you don't advertise the fact you are away for the weekend or whatever.

Steve

Upvote 0

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi the last thing you want is block paving ::bigsmile: I have about 80 sq mtrs of the stuff and it takes more looking after than I don't know what :ROFLMAO: looks nice but it takes at least a couple of days a year to clean and re sand it :Sad:plus it sinks over time with the van on it,and before someone jumps in and claims it is/was not laid right take my word that it was/is ::bigsmile:I even took it all up about 7/8 yrs ago and re-did it all thinking it may not be quite right but it sank again over time where the van is parked.The only good thing is now I have a slight indentation and can leave the van in the same spot every time :thumb:
terry

Upvote 0
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
We keep our motorhome in storage , though have an area at home for it when we are packing if going away in the opposite direction to our storage place / deep cleaning etc overnight.
Ralph's a builder. He dug out the area he wanted to put the motorhome .Edged it with a stone curb . Put a membrane down .Filled it with hard core , battered it down with a whacker. Topped it with granite shingle ( our chosen type) but theres loads of other fancy stone or gravel. To ground level . Its been like that since 2009 , no grass has come through and there has been no problems with drainage or the weight of the MH. :thumb:

Upvote 0

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
We have to drive our m/h over a corner of the front lawn to reach its concrete hardstanding. We used the type of thing you are looking at and it seems to be working OK. I don't know how different it may be having the van stood on it permanently, however.
Wyn

Upvote 0
Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Still learning since 2010
I thought that I would park our MH on the front drive, as I had just enough room, and still leave space for the kids cars (and mine !) to fit. A tight squeeze, but do-able.
My insurance company insist that anything over £20,000 is securely parked. On the front drive counts as a definate "no" and is classed as on street parking.
As I have a fairly large side/rear garden I turned part of my fence into gates and drove the MH in and onto "hard packed grassed area". Gates securely locked and barred behind it.
It was there for 3 weeks as we went to South Africa to attend a wedding. On our return we decided to have a week in Scotland.
That was when I discovered that the grass wasn't "hard packed" at all.
Luckily I have a Land Rover, so with help from my brother-in-law I was ignominiously dragged backwards out onto the street.
An hour of washing mud and grass off the MH and we set sail.

I now have £2,000 worth of new concrete drive laid and peace of mind.
I never consulted anyone about planning, but as it joins on to my existing drive and goes over a drop down kerb, there doesn't seem to have been a problem. I also still have far to much grass to keep down to a level where we don't keep losing the cat.

In my humble opinion, go for hard standing every time for long term parking. Even the plastic matting with grass growing through can have your wheels spinning and sliding when it's wet.

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
FM5162-2
Heavy Duty Grass Reinforcement Mesh 2m x 30m
Generally the motorhome product on normal ground.
£399.00

certainly not a cheap option :Eeek:

Upvote 0
Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Still learning since 2010
I looked at all the options available, including the mesh. I would have required 2x 30 mtr lengths (approx £800) plus the fastening down pegs, another £100 worth if I recall. The ground still had to be stabillised as it was not firm enough, and I was still left standing on grass.

As I said, peace of mind. And I don't have to mow the concrete !!!!! :thumb:

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I looked at all the options available, including the mesh. I would have required 2x 30 mtr lengths (approx £800) plus the fastening down pegs, another £100 worth if I recall. The ground still had to be stabillised as it was not firm enough, and I was still left standing on grass.

As I said, peace of mind. And I don't have to mow the concrete !!!!! :thumb:
and a nice shade of green masonry paint will blend it in :thumb:

Upvote 0
Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
What about Astroturf?

Upvote 0

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Hi there,

Although we do use a storage facility much of the time, we do have a large reinforced concrete driveway, which was laid about 8 years ago. (At the time I was driving artics on a regular basis, where there could be opportunities to bring the tractor unit home and park it on the driveway out of site, hence the reinforcing.)

It certainly makes parking, cleaning and maintenance of the MH much much easier, and it just needs jet washing once or twice a year.
If it's possible to lay concrete without flouting any bye laws, I'd go for it. :thumb:

Cheers,

Jock.

Upvote 0
Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
As someone has already suggested, get a good base downfirst, suggest 20mm hardcore at about 100mm depth, remember you are only parking on it!
Then have a yarn with your local Council about getting the Tarmac scrapeings, this is the stuff that is made when, before they resurface the road, this huge machine comes along and chews up the old surface first, it ends up a bit like pea gravel. When laid it solidifies like tarmac. Down here in Cornwall they are selling it to you for £10 a tonne including delivery C O D of course! For an area just to park your M/H you'll only need about 50mm.
So, if you board off your area with 150mm board, you have minimal digging:Blush:

Upvote 0

peter marshall

Free Member
Mar 5, 2009
Cleveleys,Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
9 Years
Hi Xtrouble
I dont know how your property is sited, but have you looked into the possability the MH parked on the front garden would be in the way of your neighbours, I made a hard standing in my back garden I live on a corner and had a bloke complaining to the local council, they looked into it but could not find anything wrong with the MH parking spot in their planning etc, but our estate has one of these daft covenants prohibiting large vans caravans etc, I was also driving over the curb to get in, so I now park on the front drive which fortunatly is set back from next doors frontage so no obstuction of views etc, they are good neighbours also, its been on the front now for 2 years with no complaints so I will leave it there for now as I am not keen on storage. pete :thumb::thumb::thumb:

Upvote 0

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
or if you are rich have it done with block paving ..

Hi the last thing you want is block paving ::bigsmile: I have about 80 sq mtrs of the stuff and it takes more looking after than I don't know what :ROFLMAO: looks nice but it takes at least a couple of days a year to clean and re sand it :Sad:plus it sinks over time with the van on it,and before someone jumps in and claims it is/was not laid right take my word that it was/is ::bigsmile:I even took it all up about 7/8 yrs ago and re-did it all thinking it may not be quite right but it sank again over time where the van is parked.The only good thing is now I have a slight indentation and can leave the van in the same spot every time :thumb:
terry

Er, we have block paving and its excellent. Mind you, it was done by a proper builder.
Jim
::bigsmile:

Upvote 0

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Er, we have block paving and its excellent. Mind you, it was done by a proper builder.
Jim
::bigsmile:
Hi Jim,

I am not disputing either the quality of the job, nor the integrity of those that laid your particular block paved driveway. However, I have seen so many really cracking looking block paved driveways, and thought, "Hmm, that looks the business", and then only a few years down the line they all look terrible with sunken grooves, weeds, moss, and a general unkempt look about them.
Everyone of those driveways looked to be the "Dog's Bo##ocks" when laid.........but certainly not now. :Sad:

Regards,

Jock.

Upvote 0
Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
We keep our van in storage but we did have our drive done about a year ago. On enquiry we were told we would have to get planning permission, even though it was an existing drive (cracked crazy paving) we were replacing because of the surface water drainage. We eventually had it done, by a reputable local firm in water permeable block, but it did cost a lot.:Sad:

Upvote 0

Chris65

Free Member
Oct 4, 2011
Castleford, West Yorks
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Newbie from 11/11/11
Cant believe you had to get planning permission just to change the type of surface? Does that mean if we move our garage back 8 feet so we can park in front of it that we will have to get planning permission?

Upvote 0

The Apples

Free Member
Nov 9, 2010
Funster No
We had parking problems when my son and daughter both got cars. We had a piece of grass at the front of the house that I put "Netpave" on. The grass rows through it and you hardly know its there. Netpave is the heavy duty plastic netting Broken Link Removed

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back