Problems with Virgin wireless (1 Viewer)

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Rotherham South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005
Hi,

My son had a dodgy program called Security AV which appeared on his computer last night. I tried to get it off, but no matter how many times I deleted it, it came back warning of trojans etc etc. When you click and go to the website it gives the costs of joining, but no mention of how to get the b**** thing off the computer.

McAfee had stopped working obviously clashing with Security AV, so I uninstalled that and - following the advice on here - installed Comodo. It downloaded fine, but then seemed to clash with Security AV and the circle started again.

Now I cant get online with his computer on Virgin as it says it cant connect and the Broadband icon kept coming up!

Please - what have I done wrong? what should the settings be for Virgin broadband and how can I put it right?

How can I get shut of the Security AV for good. It does not appear in the Install/uninstall programs list or in the Programs in My computer.

Please any help would be appreciated.

Ginny

wivvy's dad

Free Member
Jun 22, 2010
Funster No
MH
Transit LWB Hi-Top PVC
Exp
On and Off since '98
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrggggggggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

OP
OP
Teasy2007

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrggggggggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

EXACTLY, thats what I thought it has screwed it up completely!!

Problem is, I dont really know how to put it right, does it mean I have to format and start again???

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

lunarman

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
South Glos
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1994
you could try using system restore to a point before security av was loaded

Lunarman

welsh winger

Free Member
Jul 7, 2009
Sunny Swansea
Funster No
MH
swift lifestyle
Exp
4 years
I had a similar problem last year, have alook in program files,and delte it from there, it did take a while for the computer to settle down after wards but it has been fine since.

Nick

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
If you used your card to purchase this protection. Get it cancelled ASAP.
Looks like you have a dose of scar ware, scar ware is not a virus it just likes to make you think you have a virus. The last thing you should do is do as it tells you to do.
My brother in law has had two lots recently. I have managed to rid his pc of both without any probs. The object of scare ware is to sell you some doggy protection and get your card details. It is sometimes followed up with a doggy phone call telling you have a virus on your pc.
Use Google to find the cure, it consists of getting the computer working again in safe mode and finding the scare ware download in the registry and deleting it. I used the date and time that the scareware installed itself to trace it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Teasy2007

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005
If you used your card to purchase this protection. Get it cancelled ASAP.
Looks like you have a dose of scar ware, scar ware is not a virus it just likes to make you think you have a virus. The last thing you should do is do as it tells you to do.
My brother in law has had two lots recently. I have managed to rid his pc of both without any probs. The object of scare ware is to sell you some doggy protection and get your card details. It is sometimes followed up with a doggy phone call telling you have a virus on your pc.
Use Google to find the cure, it consists of getting the computer working again in safe mode and finding the scare ware download in the registry and deleting it. I used the date and time that the scareware installed itself to trace it.

How do you use Google to find the cure?

At the moment it seems to be screwing everything up, Macafee would not open, when I uninstalled that and installed Comodo that would not open and now he cant even get on the Internet! - mind you that might be me messing up the settings trying to get round the problem!

Thanks for you help, the article you sent in the next post was exactly what he has on his computer.

Ginny

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
Now that is a great idea, I will have to back up all his photographs but that should work!

I will try that tomorrow night. thanks Lunarman.

Ginny

You dont have to back up your photo's on a system restore. You may have to reload you photo software if it isnt MS.

You may get lucky and get rid of the unwanted AV that you have on your system, however, if you dont and your Macaffee was preloaded I would be maybe contacting the computer manufacturer help line.

Its also worth calling your Virgin help line, act daft and tell them you cant connect, these guys seem to have all the answers.

I dont know about the google fix but I also would like to know how it works.

Jim
:Smile:

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
How do you use Google to find the cure?
At the moment it seems to be screwing everything up, Macafee would not open, when I uninstalled that and installed Comodo that would not open and now he cant even get on the Internet! - mind you that might be me messing up the settings trying to get round the problem!Thanks for you help, the article you sent in the next post was exactly what he has on his computer.
Ginny
The scareware sets you up as a proxi server to stop you using the internet.
If the computer will not allow you to connect to the internet, boot up in safe mode, then you will need to change your Internet Explorere Proxy settings. This is very simply done, just open Internet Explorer, goto tools, then the Connection tab, click on the Lan Settings button and deselect the ‘use a proxy server for….’. Now press OK and OK again. You should now be able to surf the internet.

It has probably set Windows Defender to manual also. Follow this link to put it back to auto. This link will help you with this.
Link Removed

Last edited:
OP
OP
Teasy2007

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005
I have found the original recovery disc, can anyone tell me how to make it boot from the CD, as it wont recover if it is already running.

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
Turn the machine on (You should be able to access system restore by pressing F10).

Open the CD tray and put the recovery CD in it. Turn off the machine with the disc still in in.

Wait a few moments and turn on the machine, the computer will then boot from the disc.

Jim
:Smile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back