Tonjie

Free Member
Aug 8, 2019
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
Has anyone had any dealings with a motorhome dealer called Gunthorpe motorhomes Ltd, Gunthorpe, Nottinghamshire?

I bought a motorhome from them and have been fighting for a refund since I signed the contract in July.
He failed to do an MOT or habitation check which he said he would do both. 29 different dangerous or major faults have been found on this vehicle and he is now saying they have happened since I collected it on 10th August. The cost of the vehicle was £28,500 and repairs so far to get it through its test are £1,648

Despite letters, e mails and telephone calls , he is not replying to requests of specific things like what was done in preparation (he had it for 20 days before collection). Contract also states 12 months MOT, new cambelt 12 months warranty (all not done or will not confirm they have been done)

One was a tyre that was eight years out of date. other faults include brakes, lights, faulty gear selector lever and fuel gauge reading full when tank is empty.

I am in touch with Solicitors but their forecast is that it will take 12 to 18 months to get it to court and then with only being able to claim for the cost of repairs. I will not get a full refund which I am seeking.

Please private message me rather than discussing it in open forum as this may affect any court or solicitor's actions.

Many thanks

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
Less than 30k and you can start a small claim on line, not expensive. Most dont go thru the courts but are done by correspondence now. Check it out on line.
As an after thought have you checked the mot status and background previous mot. See if they have had an mot done and its failed etc.

Upvote 0

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Did you pay (at least part of it) by credit card? If so, could you use Section 75 to obtain redress?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I guess you need to ask yourself why you want a full refund if the repairs bring the vehicle up to the standard you were expecting at the point of purchase, rather than just a refund of the cost of repair?

Its what a judge would ask himself/herself.

The law is there to protect you against these sort of dealers but it’s not there to protect you from a bad bargain

Upvote 0

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
You should have rejected the vehicle in July and not had anything done to rectify it.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Less than 30k and you can start a small claim on line, not expensive. Most dont go thru the courts but are done by correspondence now. Check it out on line.
As an after thought have you checked the mot status and background previous mot. See if they have had an mot done and its failed etc.

The small claim limit is currently £10k or it was last time I checked!

Upvote 0
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Is this the third or more folks on here this last month that have paid out vast sums of money on motorhomes and then decide they want their money back, why in hell don't they do these checks before handing over money. :doh: :doh:

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back