Problems with Michelin Agilis Camping Tyres after only 5,000 miles (1 Viewer)

Aug 19, 2009
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I had a new set of Michelin Agilis Camping fitted to my motorhome at the end of April 2016. I purchased them online through Caretyres.com and fitted by Halfords. Yesterday I had an MOT carried out on my Rapido, it failed as there were blebs on the sidewalls of all four tyres; these were clearly visual on the ramps two tyres were a definite fail and the other two well on there way to a fail after only coverering circa 5,000 miles. Clearly a faulty manufactured batch. I’m flagging this to anyone who had Michelin Agilis tyres 215/70R 15’s fitted around the same period to check to make sure they haven’t got the same problem. Incidentally Cartyres.com are about as helpful as a chocolate fireguard when I eventually got hold of them, Halfords on the other hand have been brilliant. I now have to have the tyres removed and wait for a decision by Michelin to see if they are defective; apparently the larger tyre companies like Michelin do whatever they can to wriggle out of any financial payout. I have had Michelin Agilis tyres in the past without any problems whatsoever, however when the Agilis are removed tomorrow they are being replaced with Continental Vanco Campers.

Oct 20, 2014
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 680 SL
Exp
Since 2014
Thank you very much for this warning, we will check ours asap.
Were the blebs on the outside or inside tyre walls?

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
Hope it is a faulty manufactured bunch, I've just fitted two to my van. Have to say though blebs are normally caused by impact damage such as hitting kerbs, pot holes Road jumps etc!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
No consolation to you but it hopefully isn't a widespread problem.
We had four Agilis Camper tyres fitted (by Kwik Fit mobile) a year ago tomorrow. The van had its MOT test on Tuesday and passed with no problems.

Sep 25, 2009
south yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2004. Tugger 10 years on and off
Friend of mine bought a new Autotrail last year.He had two faulty tyres. Both had large bulges on sidewalls.These were Michelin.Both replaced by Brownhills.There must be a bad batch out there.Check the inside walls as this was where one of his was

Enword

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Race van conversion for years
and me.....what is it a bulge ?

Friend of mine bought a new Autotrail last year.He had two faulty tyres. Both had large bulges on sidewalls.These were Michelin.Both replaced by Brownhills.There must be a bad batch out there.Check the inside walls as this was where one of his was

Perhaps they had Pleb's working there at the time :LOL:

Jan 11, 2009
Co Mayo, Ireland
Funster No
MH
Malibu 640 LE K
Exp
Since 2006
Thank you for the warning. Do you know what date stamp is on your tyres so I can check mine?

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
Will check ours tomorrow. We had 6 Agilis fitted this last summer. From memory I think they were manufactured in Poland.

Deleted User
Interesting that on 2 occasions I have had problems with Michelin tyres on the rear wheels of my car when bulges have appeared on the side walls causing vibration. In each case the tyres were approx. 2 years old with 20,000 miles use.

Enword

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Race van conversion for years
I've inspected a few tyre's during my time racing, but usually approaching at speed through the gravel trap :rolleyes: :p

androidGB

Free Member
Dec 28, 2009
Bristol
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2001
I've had Michelin tyres sent back to the manufacturers, but unsurprisingly they found nothing wrong with the tyres.

So where do you go from there?

Hope the OP has better luck.

Andrew

kip

Free Member
Apr 26, 2015
Bulphan
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Mmmmm ?, had 4 fitted this August at cosco''s, will keep an eye out, thanks for the info.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Is this just a coincidence, or something to do with them coming down in price?:whistle:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Bleb
Blister
Swelling
Bulge
Bubble
Eruption
Also referred to as manufacturing Undulations :Eeek:
1. A regular rising and falling or movement to alternating sides; movement in waves.
2. A wavelike form, outline, or appearance.
3. One of a series of waves or wavelike segments.
Seriously,
Some tyre's can show what at first glance apper as a wavy/bumby side wall (Regular Bumps in the Circumference a Sidewall)
these are obviously different from a one off Bleb on your tyre
If your not sure get em checked

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
I used to work for a major Italian tyre manufacturer and they had a grinding machine in the finishing dept. that was for removing "irregularities" on finished tyres. I argued that they should be binned as people were buying "part worn" tyres. Always check that any new tyres have all the little "hairs" intact then you know it hasn't had a trip through the grinder. I bet @scotjimland could tell you similar tales about Dunlop.

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
@goneoff What is the date of manufacture of your faulty tyres ??
And i take it when you say bleb you mean a bulge or bunion

OP
OP
goneoff
Aug 19, 2009
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
EPILOGUE …………………….. Halfords rang me yesterday morning confirming that the Continental Vanco Camping tyres had just arrived and that they could fit these new tyres and send the Michelin’s off to be verified as being faulty directly to Michelin. When I arrived at Halfords the manager said he would like his tyre expert to view them, which I have to say infuriated me somewhat as I had seen and felt the bulges/blebs on the sidewalls myself. However the “expert” came out to inspect them, after examining everyone both on the inside and outside he claimed the tyres were perfect and the MOT inspector didn’t know what he was doing. At this point I questioned his expertise and he reeled off a whole raft of training courses, factory visits and qualifications he had achieved over his 25 years in the trade; listening to him he was the equivalent of an Oxford don in tyres! He explained that the bulges/blebs were very common and I had nothing to worry about, the tyres were perfect, they were not fake, in fact he said they were manufactured in what he considered to be the best factory in France not Poland or an other eastern European country. I asked him would he drive through Spain at 70/75 mph on them (which I will be doing) and he said no problem. The undulations/bulges/blebs were brought about by splicing during the manufacturing process. However he said he would be happy to replace them with the Continentals but it would be a waste of money and in his view Michelin would also confirm this. So I decided to take his advice Halfords who I have to say have been faultless throughout the whole process said they would return the Continentals ……… with no charge.
I immediately rang the MOT garage who initially failed the vehicle the previous day and relayed the story to them but unfortunately (or fortunately) the original inspector needed for a re-test was in Spain returning on Tuesday. Halfords then advised a local MOT station for larger class 7 vehicles. I drove around to them and explained the situation and they did a retest immediately. The Rapido passed, they said they also understood the bulges/blebs and that that Halfords were correct, the tyres were safe.

I may have have made a bad call and got it wrong; you can only listen to so-called professionals/experts and form a decision yourself. I’m confident in the Loughborough Halfords don but who knows.
However who did come out of this whole debacle extremely well was Halfords who in my opinion were superb. The award for running a mile and not taking part goes to Cartyres.com.

So apologies to the folks on this site who I have panicked and those members who have run out in the cold and wet to feel their tyres when there are better things they could be feeling.

Jun 18, 2012
Preston
Funster No
MH
Grandad's Camper-CPC
Exp
Since 2012
I apologise in advance for saying this, but remember when you are going at 70/75 mph in Spain that the speed limit is 60.
The police can be extremely vigilant at time.

Brian and Jo

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 24, 2007
oswestry,shropshire
Funster No
MH
A-Class N+B Arto 88F
Exp
Been motorhoming for 15yrs.had an American RV for 7yrs,Now got a Niesmann Bischoff Arto 88F
EPILOGUE …………………….. Halfords rang me yesterday morning confirming that the Continental Vanco Camping tyres had just arrived and that they could fit these new tyres and send the Michelin’s off to be verified as being faulty directly to Michelin. When I arrived at Halfords the manager said he would like his tyre expert to view them, which I have to say infuriated me somewhat as I had seen and felt the bulges/blebs on the sidewalls myself. However the “expert” came out to inspect them, after examining everyone both on the inside and outside he claimed the tyres were perfect and the MOT inspector didn’t know what he was doing. At this point I questioned his expertise and he reeled off a whole raft of training courses, factory visits and qualifications he had achieved over his 25 years in the trade; listening to him he was the equivalent of an Oxford don in tyres! He explained that the bulges/blebs were very common and I had nothing to worry about, the tyres were perfect, they were not fake, in fact he said they were manufactured in what he considered to be the best factory in France not Poland or an other eastern European country. I asked him would he drive through Spain at 70/75 mph on them (which I will be doing) and he said no problem. The undulations/bulges/blebs were brought about by splicing during the manufacturing process. However he said he would be happy to replace them with the Continentals but it would be a waste of money and in his view Michelin would also confirm this. So I decided to take his advice Halfords who I have to say have been faultless throughout the whole process said they would return the Continentals ……… with no charge.
I immediately rang the MOT garage who initially failed the vehicle the previous day and relayed the story to them but unfortunately (or fortunately) the original inspector needed for a re-test was in Spain returning on Tuesday. Halfords then advised a local MOT station for larger class 7 vehicles. I drove around to them and explained the situation and they did a retest immediately. The Rapido passed, they said they also understood the bulges/blebs and that that Halfords were correct, the tyres were safe.

I may have have made a bad call and got it wrong; you can only listen to so-called professionals/experts and form a decision yourself. I’m confident in the Loughborough Halfords don but who knows.
However who did come out of this whole debacle extremely well was Halfords who in my opinion were superb. The award for running a mile and not taking part goes to Cartyres.com.

So apologies to the folks on this site who I have panicked and those members who have run out in the cold and wet to feel their tyres when there are better things they could be feeling.
hi there that guys diagnosis was absolutely right .there what we call in the trade "tight cords "and are of no detrement to the tyres at all and those tyres are perfectly safe .tight cords are very common not only on Michelin but also on many other brands of tyre.In fact when i first read this thread i had a look at our N+B and 3 tyres have some indentations after 3500 mls.so rest easy and drive with confidence(y)
Brian & Jo

Deleted User
Thank you for reporting back what Halfords said. In my case, which were car tyres, the bulges were causing wheel imbalance and had to be replaced. The tyres were approx. 2 years old (according to manufacturing date on side wall) and had covered approx. 20k miles.

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016

I'm sure i would of done the same thing , same goes for many others , after all you were told by a "professional" Mot inspector that your tyres were faulty....

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back