Problems with Bailey approach motor home. (1 Viewer)

T & J

Free Member
Jul 27, 2014
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph Approach
Exp
We're newbies!
Hi all.

Really new to this motor home business and might add our enthusiasm is badly dented. Please see copy email i sent to dealer today. Anyone else suffering from the same problems. Advice eagerley accepted. Cant believe the amount of problems we have had or that it can be just my vehicle? Bailey approach, lounge end vehicle with drop down electric bed.

Regards to all.

Tony

Hi Richard.

Thanks for email, and not least chat on the phone. Firstly, apologies for the tone of my email. Too say I was furious with additional faults is an under statement. Having said that, emails of the tone I sent are never thee right way to secure assistance in resolving these problems. Once again, apologies.

Anyhow. You may (or may not) be aware of thee problems we had had with this camper van since purchase. We have in fact hardly used it, four times I think. The difficulty I have, and really struggle with, is that every time we have used it something breaks, something does not work and is disappointing to say the least. Circa 50k for this vehicle and to be brutally honest, based on its performance thus far, we are bitterly disappointed with it. Do we have confidence to go off to France/Spain in this vehicle for three or four weeks? No!! Not at all! We have no confidence in this vehicle at all and do now wonder if this was a major mistake and frankly we should have bought from another manufacturer. Truth is we are so disappointed in it, have no confidence in it and are frankly even at this early stage looking at other options. Having said all off that I know full well you guys don’t make them, and dare I say just sell them. Do PLEASE pass my email to Bailey to their MD so that he/she is aware of the level of dissapointmmentt/dissatissfaction. If I was MD of any firm I would be shocked, disappointed and more to hear of any customer having faults the type we have encountered. many of them are minor, niggling matters that should and could easily be (With a good in-house manufacturers quality check system) be avoided. fact!

Problems thus far

1 Plug socket outside wall. This broke on the very first day the vehicle was used. replaced.

2 Trim kept falling out above cupboards in rear, now seemingly resolved.

3 Collapsing bed. It seems that when furniture etc was fitted in rear, the set up cupboards/seats etc had not been set up adjusted properly. Accordingly the bed kept falling to bits. Typical, but this was the first weekend we used the vehicle. We were away from home (of course) had to go out buy a saw, sheet of ply wood and make a temporary lash up repair. This has now been repaired.

4 Jammed man hole cover floor hatch. The hatch cover over the fresh water in the corridor swollen up so tight we could not get it out. This has now been resolved

5 Loose window frame by the sink area had not been fixed properly. Screws were loose. Now resolved

6 Leaking shower. Water was running out from under shower in to corridor soaking carpets etc. Now resolved

7 Faulty door lock, main side door was constantly jamming, not locking, not opening and generally playing up. No resolved

8 Broken light switch, pull cord switch in bathroom...just stopped working with all the inconvenience with this.

9 Chain on plug on fresh water snapped. Think it was the fresh water tank, Annoying...now resolved.

10 Jamming electric bed, did not locate into position properly. Now resolved

11 Front blinds and one of side blinds clips kept coming off. Now resolved.

12 Laminate trim came off by rear step/ bed area. now glued down and resolved

The above is a list of past problems. Too be frank those are what I can even recall, it may be that your own service people have a more comprehensive list. Many of these points are just minor...niggling faults butt coupled with more major issues of the door, bed leaking shower etc are nothing short of infuriating.

Current problems....arose last weekend to be resolved.

13 The catch on the cover over the fresh water tank in corridor has broken. It may be (Who knows) that this became damaged when it was jammed solid and had to be repaired a few weeks ago. At any rate need a new catch. Annoying part of this, is that when we got to site last week, the plug was not in the tank and we could not access it to resolve the problem. Bloody annoying. On its own, lets be frank no major deal butt coupled with all the other items is just so infuriating.

14 Front fallen off fridge door, trim and side edging come adrift. Again, no major deal but yet again infuriating.

15 Broken trim on floor. This was identified last time vehicle came in for repair. Your service guys were not sure as it is on the edge of the cab, whether this is a bailey problem or front end of truck problem...if you know what I mean.

16 Small dining table has been since day one not level. This has been identified before but in the scheme of all other repairs seems to have been over looked by both your service guys and I quickly and us. Nott shockingly bad but not right either.

17 We have one light that has never worked since thee day we took the vehicle. It may be that we just cant find a light switch (So many of them) but ait any rate it does not work.

18 Whilst the wardrobe door was aligned seemingly fine the door now seems to be warping. Not bad, not bad as yet but the door is moving. Is this likely to get worse. the vehicle is stored under cover and probably the best driest area a vehicle could bee kept in.

19 Seems to be a patch under edge of floor as cab adjoins floor that seems to be soft. Not sure what the issue is, indeed if there is an issue but requires investigation.

20 Heating. Not sure if it is possible to balance heating better. Rear is swelteringly hot whilst front end can bee chilly. Is it possible to balance heating?

21 Patch under floor between rear and cab... Unsure who is responsible

22 Subjective but I challenge anyone to get a comfortable nights sleep?

23 Rear boot Lid. Whilst there is not a fault as such this is a very poor opening locking mechanism. Push buttons in and rely on thee switches to open. This may work this may not work at any rate it is an amateurish lash up mechanisms'. This really needs buttons or something to enable the operator to pull open the door when buttons have been pushed in. Lash up!

24 Subjective but, despite fitting £400 worth of the best quality mattress toppers available I challenge anyone to get a good nights sleep in rear of this vehicle on main large bed. The most awful nights sleep I have ever had.

Richard, after all my whinging I might add all your service guys have been great, helpful, polite and as good as they get. If the truth is known I think they are a bit embarrassed about the faults we have had thus far. But, certainly no complaints about your guys. Once again, do please forward my list of issues to the MD of Bailey, he or she should know what's going on. Would I recommend to any one they buy this vehicle? Not in my wildest dreams. If I even dreamt of recommending this vehicle, id wake up and apologise. I run a business myself with a multi million pound turnover. Im many things, im not stupid. I know snagging problems come up, I know things go wrong, but dear oh dear this has been an awful customer experience thus far.

Richard, give me a call with a view to getting this vehicle in ASAP for repairs.

regards.

Tony

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Had a problem with a new Merc which stayed in kickdown mode all of the time. Dealer said they would have to replace the gearbox. I found the fault was actually a hole in the carpet that was slightly out of alignment and was holding the microswitch under the gas pedal permanently on. Took 2 mins with a Stanley knife to fix. Now that was bad attention to detail and quality control.

I think it's much much worse than you say, we have reached a point where dealers no longer understand what they are selling. Cars should be sold by up market electronics outfits now, they are beyond any "mechanic". Absolutely financial suicide once out of warranty. "Oh you need a new ECU and gearbox Sir, only £8,000". "But I only paid £10,000 for it".

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back