Problems with Bailey approach motor home. (1 Viewer)

T & J

Free Member
Jul 27, 2014
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph Approach
Exp
We're newbies!
Hi all.

Really new to this motor home business and might add our enthusiasm is badly dented. Please see copy email i sent to dealer today. Anyone else suffering from the same problems. Advice eagerley accepted. Cant believe the amount of problems we have had or that it can be just my vehicle? Bailey approach, lounge end vehicle with drop down electric bed.

Regards to all.

Tony

Hi Richard.

Thanks for email, and not least chat on the phone. Firstly, apologies for the tone of my email. Too say I was furious with additional faults is an under statement. Having said that, emails of the tone I sent are never thee right way to secure assistance in resolving these problems. Once again, apologies.

Anyhow. You may (or may not) be aware of thee problems we had had with this camper van since purchase. We have in fact hardly used it, four times I think. The difficulty I have, and really struggle with, is that every time we have used it something breaks, something does not work and is disappointing to say the least. Circa 50k for this vehicle and to be brutally honest, based on its performance thus far, we are bitterly disappointed with it. Do we have confidence to go off to France/Spain in this vehicle for three or four weeks? No!! Not at all! We have no confidence in this vehicle at all and do now wonder if this was a major mistake and frankly we should have bought from another manufacturer. Truth is we are so disappointed in it, have no confidence in it and are frankly even at this early stage looking at other options. Having said all off that I know full well you guys don’t make them, and dare I say just sell them. Do PLEASE pass my email to Bailey to their MD so that he/she is aware of the level of dissapointmmentt/dissatissfaction. If I was MD of any firm I would be shocked, disappointed and more to hear of any customer having faults the type we have encountered. many of them are minor, niggling matters that should and could easily be (With a good in-house manufacturers quality check system) be avoided. fact!

Problems thus far

1 Plug socket outside wall. This broke on the very first day the vehicle was used. replaced.

2 Trim kept falling out above cupboards in rear, now seemingly resolved.

3 Collapsing bed. It seems that when furniture etc was fitted in rear, the set up cupboards/seats etc had not been set up adjusted properly. Accordingly the bed kept falling to bits. Typical, but this was the first weekend we used the vehicle. We were away from home (of course) had to go out buy a saw, sheet of ply wood and make a temporary lash up repair. This has now been repaired.

4 Jammed man hole cover floor hatch. The hatch cover over the fresh water in the corridor swollen up so tight we could not get it out. This has now been resolved

5 Loose window frame by the sink area had not been fixed properly. Screws were loose. Now resolved

6 Leaking shower. Water was running out from under shower in to corridor soaking carpets etc. Now resolved

7 Faulty door lock, main side door was constantly jamming, not locking, not opening and generally playing up. No resolved

8 Broken light switch, pull cord switch in bathroom...just stopped working with all the inconvenience with this.

9 Chain on plug on fresh water snapped. Think it was the fresh water tank, Annoying...now resolved.

10 Jamming electric bed, did not locate into position properly. Now resolved

11 Front blinds and one of side blinds clips kept coming off. Now resolved.

12 Laminate trim came off by rear step/ bed area. now glued down and resolved

The above is a list of past problems. Too be frank those are what I can even recall, it may be that your own service people have a more comprehensive list. Many of these points are just minor...niggling faults butt coupled with more major issues of the door, bed leaking shower etc are nothing short of infuriating.

Current problems....arose last weekend to be resolved.

13 The catch on the cover over the fresh water tank in corridor has broken. It may be (Who knows) that this became damaged when it was jammed solid and had to be repaired a few weeks ago. At any rate need a new catch. Annoying part of this, is that when we got to site last week, the plug was not in the tank and we could not access it to resolve the problem. Bloody annoying. On its own, lets be frank no major deal butt coupled with all the other items is just so infuriating.

14 Front fallen off fridge door, trim and side edging come adrift. Again, no major deal but yet again infuriating.

15 Broken trim on floor. This was identified last time vehicle came in for repair. Your service guys were not sure as it is on the edge of the cab, whether this is a bailey problem or front end of truck problem...if you know what I mean.

16 Small dining table has been since day one not level. This has been identified before but in the scheme of all other repairs seems to have been over looked by both your service guys and I quickly and us. Nott shockingly bad but not right either.

17 We have one light that has never worked since thee day we took the vehicle. It may be that we just cant find a light switch (So many of them) but ait any rate it does not work.

18 Whilst the wardrobe door was aligned seemingly fine the door now seems to be warping. Not bad, not bad as yet but the door is moving. Is this likely to get worse. the vehicle is stored under cover and probably the best driest area a vehicle could bee kept in.

19 Seems to be a patch under edge of floor as cab adjoins floor that seems to be soft. Not sure what the issue is, indeed if there is an issue but requires investigation.

20 Heating. Not sure if it is possible to balance heating better. Rear is swelteringly hot whilst front end can bee chilly. Is it possible to balance heating?

21 Patch under floor between rear and cab... Unsure who is responsible

22 Subjective but I challenge anyone to get a comfortable nights sleep?

23 Rear boot Lid. Whilst there is not a fault as such this is a very poor opening locking mechanism. Push buttons in and rely on thee switches to open. This may work this may not work at any rate it is an amateurish lash up mechanisms'. This really needs buttons or something to enable the operator to pull open the door when buttons have been pushed in. Lash up!

24 Subjective but, despite fitting £400 worth of the best quality mattress toppers available I challenge anyone to get a good nights sleep in rear of this vehicle on main large bed. The most awful nights sleep I have ever had.

Richard, after all my whinging I might add all your service guys have been great, helpful, polite and as good as they get. If the truth is known I think they are a bit embarrassed about the faults we have had thus far. But, certainly no complaints about your guys. Once again, do please forward my list of issues to the MD of Bailey, he or she should know what's going on. Would I recommend to any one they buy this vehicle? Not in my wildest dreams. If I even dreamt of recommending this vehicle, id wake up and apologise. I run a business myself with a multi million pound turnover. Im many things, im not stupid. I know snagging problems come up, I know things go wrong, but dear oh dear this has been an awful customer experience thus far.

Richard, give me a call with a view to getting this vehicle in ASAP for repairs.

regards.

Tony

signworks

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2013
wrose bradford
Funster No
MH
swift bolero
Exp
since 2009
Well I did and no regrets at all.

I don't agree with all this anti British van stuff.

Foreign vans have problems too.
Well said I bought British too and regetts are people saying they have never had problem with foreign vans I think not

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Well said I bought British too and regetts are people saying they have never had problem with foreign vans I think not

I agree

I had far more problems with a brand new Burstner than with a new Autotrail.

Minor faults on each but nothing to lose sleep over.

Upvote 0
Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
Sorry to hear of your problems. we bought a British van, new, some 7 years ago and I am still finding "niggles" to fix. Started big with the gearbox rebuild and new clutch and has now got down to the level of fixing the blown air heating ducts. I have just secured most of the unions with duct tape to stop them dropping off. No doubt next time I'm away we'll find another niggle to fix. Shan't bore you with lighting, remote door locking, fridge et al. Still wouldn't put me off buying the same make again.

We attended the Glasgow show recently and were not impressed by much of what we saw. Love the van to bits actually and she drives like a dream.

Rgds
Bill

Upvote 0

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
Sandra dont buy British just dont do it.
Best wishes John&Joyce

what a load of Tosh. I did and have never been happier. Ive had two continental vans and they were ok too.

I know makers of all brands that have a problem in fact 7 years ago no one was going to be able to go backwards because the x250 wouldn't let them or would blow up at the very thought of hitting reverse gear.

In terms of the OP , yeah you've had some problems but reading through your list I just keep reading now sorted? what is it you are expecting? All I want to know is if something goes wrong it gets fixed. These are motorhomes FGS... they always go wrong no matter how much you spend on them, bolts break, screws come lose and bits of sealant get missed. The only error of judgement was probably not reading all about it here first.

Bailey are sorting it, let them do it, your not 50k down that you keep saying you would be amazed how much people are prepared to pay for these bits of shite we call motorhomes. Eventually though if you get 10% of the enjoyment we have had over the past 10 years you will talk about what a great way to spend your 50k

had a bailey caravan once and loved it.

Upvote 0

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Not often I say "good post" but I will to Paul's. There have been a lot of threads on Bailey quality, or lack of, mainly because you get a lot of van for your money and people want to know more. I've got the 2013 740SE, First edition/effort from Bailey. A couple of minor niggles with broken cupboard latches and, yes, shock horror, the dreaded roof leak. On seeing that video I checked mine as it had been standing for some time through the autumn. It was returned to Becks at Rollesby and sorted in an hour. A short section of sealant was hanging into the cavity on a joint on the front roof, possibly where a new tube had been started. Shoddy workmanship? Possibly, but a simple error which caused no damage as that roof section is a self contained unit with no contact with the interior of the van.

The dealer appears to be dealing with the problem with no hassle and that's something to be thankful for these days.

Upvote 0

Pollyandarthur

Free Member
Jan 9, 2015
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Exp
I'm a newbie
So sorry you are having problems. I hope things are resolved soon.
We are picking up our new Bailey Autograph Approach 745 on March 7th and I must admit your post has me a bit apprehensive as this is our first motorhome. However we have had a Bailey Caravan, a Unicorn Valencia and we were more than happy with the quality of the build. In fact the reason we chose this motorhome was that it's layout is almost identical to the Valencia which suits us well and the quality seems to be the same as the Valencia.

Upvote 0

Bobby22

Free Member
Dec 15, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 680ff
Exp
since 2013
The dealer appears to be dealing with the problem with no hassle and that's something to be thankful for these days.

Sometimes dealers need to get their act together as well, if a man spends 50k and subsequently has identified a few minor problems, isn't it wise then to do a proper job in repairing these problems first time.
The dealer has a duty to do a pre delivery inspection. He should have identified some of these problems before releasing a van to a customer.

There is nothing worse than taking a van back time and again for the same problems.....................how many times does a dealer (who's probably making more money than the manufacturer) need to set a dodgy van right.

If you took any other product back to the shop to have it checked out and repaired and it came back with problems you would be pi--ed

And for most motorhomes having snagging issues and niggles just shouldn't be acceptable.

I once heard an analogy:- that if the aerospace industry had a quality control figure of 99.9 % we would have a major air disaster every single day.
If we, as motorhome buyers accept, snags and niggles then thats exactly what we will get.

I say if it is returned faulty make sure it doesn't come back with any more.

Upvote 0

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
really sad to read a post like the OP. you can feel the anger and dissapointment in the way its written

having said that, the snagging list is only minor stuff that could all be fixed perfectly within a days work. not like having serious water ingress that many people have had on brand new vans. I have also been there and wasted cash on a new van years ago naively thinking it would be perfect. went down the legal route and my solicitor who i used to use a lot said it was a hopeless cause.
if you fight the dealer, who then fights the manufacturer (the contract of sale is with the dealer) it will take years and 10s of thousands of pounds. selling the van, you loose the VAT plus a percentage likely to be another £10k. so all you will get back is £30k selling to a dealer
i agree that the wife's upset means a lot and youve lost confidence, but it will be fixed for free under warranty. can you afford to throw money away based on what are as i said minor issues?

btw, i will pay you £20k cash tomorrow for the van:rolleyes:

Upvote 0
Nov 11, 2013
Tewkesbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL 668
Exp
March 2014
I forgot to mention the collapsing bed problem. Bailey fit runners on the seat base edges to take the fold away slats, and these have two mounting positions. For some reason they occasionally get fitted in the wrong position so the slats only just touch the edge of the runner. When they bend under a persons weight they fall out, hence the bed collapse. It's a 5 minute job to unscrew them and refit in the correct place, where more of the slat is inside the channel. I know this shouldn't happen in the first place and it's really sloppy workmanship, but it's easily curable. I can envisage a situation where the factory apprentice was given the job of fitting the runners, and after a few days the foreman wandered over to check everything was ok. He would have been horrified to find his charge had been fitting the screws in position "B" instead of position "A", but by then it was too late to do anything about the 17 vans that had been and gone. Oh well he said, the dealers will sort them out for us when the customer complains.

Upvote 0
Jun 16, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hymer CL 554
Exp
Since May 2014
We had a new bailey caravan, one of the first alutech range. It was our first ever caravan and on the day of hand over we spent hours going over it to check it out. There was a few issues but nothing major at all. In the four years of owning no trouble with it. However at the same time there were people with some real lemons from Bailey. This is surely down to rushing them out and the predelivery check is for the major safety components only I bet.

We bought a chausson new last year. After reading that it was classed as a budget van I was very apprehensive. But it has been great there are a few niggles, that have been sorted quickly but nothing to worry about. The only big thing was the table was put in the wrong way and meant the lower bed could not be used. Luckily that was discovered the day after pick up and we were still local. The electric bed had some issues, but that was the manufacturer of the bed not Chausson. I could have bought a Rapido used for the same price of the Chausson new, but I liked the Chausson better. The guy who sorted out the niggles said all the manufactures have vans with niggles doesn't matter how much you pay for them.

I think if the manufactureres spent a little more time just checking carefully the interiors it would pay dividends in publicity. But it must be a numbers game if the cost of PDI at the manufacturers end is more expensive than repair at the user end then there is no incentive to do it.

Upvote 0
Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Hi T & J sorry to read of your troubles. We have recently purchased our first motorhome. We purchased a brand new caravan back in the 80's and had no end of problems with it. It served us well for 5 or 6 years when we sold it and paid off the mortgage. Kids grew up, so we started flying for holidays. Lately have retired and bought a boat.. the term is Bring Out Another Thousand, wife hated water so sold that, I still want/need to travel (Ex RN and HGV driver) so bought a motorhome. We looked at new and couldn't find one we really liked or trusted build quality. Just the 2 of us so looked at previously owned, Bought an Autocruise Wentworth, 2005, fitted alarm, reverse camera (not working) top box,solar panel, etc etc for £20,000. Have had a few things sorted out,, and added some others but very happy with van. Had a habitation check carried out and the guy was impressed with the dryness and fittings. We have not used it too much,, about 4 weeks away and a few weekends but booked for a week on the coast April and 8 weeks France/Spain in May with no fears for failure. If it does though I will get is sorted. I feel you pain in spending all that cash on something that does not meet your expectations. I would certainly work with the dealer to get all things fixed and try to get assurance from them that there are no more major problems. They are supposed to PDI the van to have none of these niggles. I used to sell Benimars from here in Beeston Nottingham and often wonder how the vans I sold are doing. We found the odd problems at PDI stage but they were soon rectified. But, as has been stated previously, the build quality has deteriorated over the years.
Hope you get this resolved. Please keep the forum updated with progress.
Robert
RDH Motorhomes,,,and RDH driver hire ??? BUSBY.

Upvote 0

JohnM

Free Member
Nov 8, 2008
Central Scotland
Funster No
MH
CClass
Exp
Since Feb 2009 and 40yrs c/vaning
what a load of Tosh. I did and have never been happier. Ive had two continental vans and they were ok too.

I know makers of all brands that have a problem in fact 7 years ago no one was going to be able to go backwards because the x250 wouldn't let them or would blow up at the very thought of hitting reverse gear.

In terms of the OP , yeah you've had some problems but reading through your list I just keep reading now sorted? what is it you are expecting? All I want to know is if something goes wrong it gets fixed. These are motorhomes FGS... they always go wrong no matter how much you spend on them, bolts break, screws come lose and bits of sealant get missed. The only error of judgement was probably not reading all about it here first.

Bailey are sorting it, let them do it, your not 50k down that you keep saying you would be amazed how much people are prepared to pay for these bits of shite we call motorhomes. Eventually though if you get 10% of the enjoyment we have had over the past 10 years you will talk about what a great way to spend your 50k

had a bailey caravan once and loved it.
My reply is this if you want to spend 50grand on a motorhome and spend your leisure time doing make shift repairs and spending days or weeks without your pride and joy thats the buyers choice but its not mine.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
T & J

T & J

Free Member
Jul 27, 2014
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Exp
We're newbies!
I bought a bailey motor home last August. None stop problems some minor some major. the reality is simple...if my business were selling 50k motor homes thee target would be to make them faultless, simple as that. Yes, things do go wrong. the problem i have with mine is that we have lost confidence in it. 1600 miles on the clock, the drive van end is perfect. Its the Bailey end of it that is the problem, none stop, none stop problems. paid 50k and having to go back time after time to get problems rectified. Its not good enough. Fromm what i can see some of the parts are low cost, cheap budget parts. Too be frank id rather have paid more money in the first place forr better materials and workmanship....and had no problems. truth is> Wish id bought a good quality, well looked after second hand one. Would i buy another bailey? Not in a month of Sundays!!

Upvote 0
Sep 4, 2014
Putney, London
Funster No
MH
Still Just Looking :-(
Exp
We are considering Bailey 730 and Autotrail Tracker RB both have the same layout which we like.
The Bailey is £10k less than the Autotrail - now I can see where some of the saving comes from although Autotrail doesnt appear to be perfect. However we are fortunate enough to have been able to rent a Bailey 730 for the holidays this summer so we can see in advance what we think of the build quality....
We hired a Chausson last summer but the front lounge dinette layout didnt work for us and that rules out the majority of German vans unfortunately.
A worrying post none the less we'll know more come August

Upvote 0

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Hi all.
Really new to this motor home business and might add our enthusiasm is badly dented. Please see copy email i sent to dealer today. Anyone else suffering from the same problems.
We had lots of 'issues' with our new MH & were seriously considering rejecting it. This included not being able to use it for the first couple of months due to a safety recall; and having to replace a whole panel due to damp.
I think where we won out over your situation @T & J is that we're a long way from the dealers, so whenever we were going that way we had a long list of snagging to be done - which was completed well enough mostly - so there weren't that many visits. And also, each visit to the dealers was the start of a good trip away.
I really hope you get something sorted without having to lose a lot of cash.

Upvote 0

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Most of you will have probably seen this before , how could anyone even consider buying from a manufacturer capable of producing this.

I'd have one. Never seen a moho with an on-board swimming pool before.
And it doubles as an ice-rink in winter! Yeah!

Upvote 0
Jun 16, 2014
NOTTINGHAM
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Savannah
Exp
Almost a Newbie but not quite now.
RDH Motorhomes,,,and RDH driver hire ??? BUSBY.
Yes Busby, was there as Driver Hire manager for a year or so, They are still going though more to the recruitment side,, My son is co director ;)

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
We took a £6k hit on our first van after just 6 months.

Why....because it was too small for touring, fine for the odd weekend but that was all.

You live and learn and Its generally expected your 3rd van is the one you wanted at first.

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I can be smug and say I got it right first time, we did hire a couple of times before buying & that taught us what we could not live with. Last van was our first van went for a layout that was similar to the caravan we had (sorry didn't mean to swear), sold it last year nearly 6 years old, depreciation was 23% (5% a year) 11K, lost less cash than on a car that was less than a third of the price new.

Upvote 0

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
We are considering Bailey 730 and Autotrail Tracker RB both have the same layout which we like.
The Bailey is £10k less than the Autotrail - now I can see where some of the saving comes from although Autotrail doesnt appear to be perfect. However we are fortunate enough to have been able to rent a Bailey 730 for the holidays this summer so we can see in advance what we think of the build quality....
We hired a Chausson last summer but the front lounge dinette layout didnt work for us and that rules out the majority of German vans unfortunately.
A worrying post none the less we'll know more come August

Lots of people are complaining about the build quality of their Autotrails. Mind lots say they are very pleased.

Motorhomes are complicated vehicles and the makers have all been trying to meet the 3500kg preferred weight. The use of lighter, less durable materials and together with the ever increasing complexity of the habitation area to meet buyers requirements then problems are going to occur.

I think the secret is to sort out what is "merely annoying" and what "is important" and chase the makers/suppliers to sort that which affects your use of the motorhome.

The OP's problems whether it is annoying or important to me is affecting his use of the motorhome and should have been addressed.

I personally (2012 Autotrail Tracker) have an endless list of bit falling off or failing but I just repair them and carry on using and enjoying my motorhome. I only ever returned it when it was either expensive or stopped me using it.

But if I could give you some advice - Do not fall out with your dealer. Most are great, some only ok and a few dodgy. (I will wait for the flak after that sentence) (y):D

Upvote 0
Sep 4, 2014
Putney, London
Funster No
MH
Still Just Looking :-(
Exp
Lots of people are complaining about the build quality of their Autotrails. Mind lots say they are very pleased.

Motorhomes are complicated vehicles and the makers have all been trying to meet the 3500kg preferred weight. The use of lighter, less durable materials and together with the ever increasing complexity of the habitation area to meet buyers requirements then problems are going to occur.

I think the secret is to sort out what is "merely annoying" and what "is important" and chase the makers/suppliers to sort that which affects your use of the motorhome.

The OP's problems whether it is annoying or important to me is affecting his use of the motorhome and should have been addressed.

I personally (2012 Autotrail Tracker) have an endless list of bit falling off or failing but I just repair them and carry on using and enjoying my motorhome. I only ever returned it when it was either expensive or stopped me using it.

But if I could give you some advice - Do not fall out with your dealer. Most are great, some only ok and a few dodgy. (I will wait for the flak after that sentence) (y):D
I dont think we'll be buying new so hopefully the initial issues will be debugged and we'll get the motorhome that some other poor sod has had all the hassles with. The hire unit should be a few months old when we get it so it'll be interesting to see what its like after a few hires. Also we'll be putting a couple of K's on it and going up the Alps watching the TDF - so a good test

Upvote 0
OP
OP
T & J

T & J

Free Member
Jul 27, 2014
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Exp
We're newbies!
My reply is this if you want to spend 50 grand on a motor home and spend your leisure time doing make shift repairs and spending days or weeks without your pride and joy that's the buyers choice but its not mine.

If we spent 50k on a car? Nice BMW? Nice Merc? Would people tolerate the same level of issues. The vehicles may be complicated they may be.....whatever, but that is the business of the manufacturer. Its not the end of the world for me, my life is not shortly coming to an end......it's just very annoying. I don't want to spend my time sorting niggles, i don't want it off the road waiting for it to be repaired. That's not what i bought in to. I thought, perhaps wrongly, that i was "buying in to" ideas of relaxing trouble free holidays. Maybe i got this wrong. I did not expect to buy in to beds collapsing, being locked out because door would not work, no lights, loose window frames....and more. If i was the MD of a firm producing goods with problems like this, that SHOULD NOT HAPPEN some ass would be getting kicked amongst those responsible for such cock ups that's for sure.

Upvote 0
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I don't want to inflame you any further than you clearly are already, but you really need to take a deep breath and make some plans to sort this out

It will not get better by making regular rants to all of us

You surely must get it back to the supplying dealer for fixing, then when back decide if you can live with it, that seems unlikely, from your comments you really do not seem to like it at all now

So probably get it fixed and get it sold, move on (y)

Upvote 0
Oct 20, 2014
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 680 SL
Exp
Since 2014
Haven't had time to read through the whole thread so apologies if this has already been suggested.

Perhaps contact your nearest Trading Standards office, found this on their site:

When you buy goods from a trader or when goods are supplied as part of a service, you enter into a contract which is controlled by many laws including the Sale of Goods Act 1979 and the Supply of Goods and Services Act 1982. These laws give you certain (sometimes referred to as statutory) rights under this contract. Goods should be:

• of satisfactory quality - goods should be free from defects, fit for the purpose for which they were supplied, safe and durable. Appearance and finish is also taken into account
  • as described - goods should correspond with any description applied to them
  • fit for any purpose that is made known to the seller - goods must be fit for their general purpose and any particular purpose that a consumer makes known to the trader at the time of purchase. For example if you buy a sleeping bag it must work as a sleeping bag. If you make it clear before you buy that you need it for -40 degree conditions and the trader states it will be suitable then it should be suitable
You are legally entitled to a refund, replacement or repair if goods do not conform to the contract, in other words are not of satisfactory quality, fit for purpose or as described, but which remedy should you claim?

More info follows afterwards, perhaps give them a ring? Do hope you get sorted.

Upvote 0

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
My reply is this if you want to spend 50grand on a motorhome and spend your leisure time doing make shift repairs and spending days or weeks without your pride and joy thats the buyers choice but its not mine.

Ok so judging by your profile you have a Hobby.

I am well known in the motorhome circles and have a lot of friends with Hobby motorhomes. Would you like me to send you a list of their problems too? would you like me to say don't buy German?

My point is simple, if you don't want to be involved in screwing the odd screw here and there, repairing the ever falling off window trim, mending the odd door catch then don't buy a motorhome of all varieties.

It really get's my goat when people just slate British vans as some inferior thing, out of my 3 vans two continental ones my British one is the best by a country mile. Maybe it's not the best built but it's most definitely the best van.

The sad thing is people spend 50k and expect perfection, it doesn't exist in motorhome world, all you can hope for is a good dealer with a sympathetic ear to ensure things get fixed quickly and correctly.

THEY ALL COME WITH PROBLEMS

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back