TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Not having a very good few days with the van. Went up to the storage yard yesterday to discover the gales we had last week had got under the satellite dish and completely flipped it over, totally disrupting the innards and breaking the cowling. I'm not going to spend anymore on the sat dish (have had it repaired twice) as we hardly ever watch TV anyway. So spent yesterday afternoon demounting the bloody thing as well as the framework that had been used to attach it, happily not through the roof. The consolation is I've saved about 50kg and maybe some windage too. For the moment I'm not removing the cabling, which anyway enters underneath the solar panel, see next for why!

However the reason for me collecting the van was to take it to have the skylights resealed after water came pouring in while we were away couple of weeks ago. The guy has just rung to tell me he's found cracking in the area surrounding roof moving outwards from the corners. As with everything it's repairable but heaven knows what the bill is going to be after he explained what he needed to do.

He's assured me that everything will be watertight when he's finished but the damp that has got into the wood frame will take a while to dry out.

Phillybarbour

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
West Lancs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout Revo.
Exp
Since 2010
Good to hear no damage to the roof. I had a dish on last two vans. Just bought another and also decided not to transfer the dish.

Reasons -
We don't watch much TV
The TV we do watch I can get through the Directional Aerial fitted
I have an Apple TV box which plays on TV from iPad
Most films we now get through the iPad.
Catch up TV through the iPad.
Less fitting cost
Less weight

Times are changing even for non technical people like me.

Hellski

Free Member
Mar 28, 2016
Cheltenham
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto 76 LE
Exp
Sorry to read of your woes but good there's no damage.

When the need arises, we find the Amazon Firestick great for watching TV whilst away(y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Not having a very good few days with the van. Went up to the storage yard yesterday to discover the gales we had last week had got under the satellite dish and completely flipped it over, totally disrupting the innards and breaking the cowling. I'm not going to spend anymore on the sat dish (have had it repaired twice) as we hardly ever watch TV anyway. So spent yesterday afternoon demounting the bloody thing as well as the framework that had been used to attach it, happily not through the roof. The consolation is I've saved about 50kg and maybe some windage too. For the moment I'm not removing the cabling, which anyway enters underneath the solar panel, see next for why!

However the reason for me collecting the van was to take it to have the skylights resealed after water came pouring in while we were away couple of weeks ago. The guy has just rung to tell me he's found cracking in the area surrounding roof moving outwards from the corners. As with everything it's repairable but heaven knows what the bill is going to be after he explained what he needed to do.

He's assured me that everything will be watertight when he's finished but the damp that has got into the wood frame will take a while to dry out.
Would you consider selling the remains?

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
:doh::doh:
I bet you wished you looked harder for that new van when we were at Lincoln..

Hope you get it all sorted..

OP
OP
TerryL

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Would you consider selling the remains?

Sat dish? Why not. It's an Oyster 2 85cm dish.
:doh::doh:
I bet you wished you looked harder for that new van when we were at Lincoln..

Hope you get it all sorted..

Bren's started looking at new vans again! Might have to cancel the refurb!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back