Problems getting insurance (1 Viewer)

Feb 28, 2015
Rothwell Northants
Funster No
MH
Class C
Exp
Since 2014
I moved back to the UK from France in September 2016. I have now brought my motorhome over to the UK and I am now trying to reregister it. I need to insure it using the VIN.
I tried Safeguard who are able to do this, but hit another snag. When I was living in France I changed to a French driving licence. I changed back to a UK licence in October 2017,mainly because employers won't take you on if you have a foreign one.
Safeguard won't insure you unless you have had a UK for at least a year. They wouldn't take into account that I had a UK licence for 36 years before moving abroad.
I then tried Comfort who were more sympathetic about the licence but don't insure on the VIN.
I have looked online at other companies and this licence problem comes up each time. I am thinking about going to a local broker but wondered if anyone had any other suggestions. Thanks in advance

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Scenic will insure on a VIN worth trying even though they are part of Safeguard, AIB will but double the premium for imports, could be a stop gap until you get it registered.

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Try LV - they treat motorhomes as cars so not the best cover for possessions but will cover motorhome value & items fitted https://www.lv.com/car-insurance . If you do use them don't forget possible cashback via Quidco too so best to get a quote sent to you then go via quidco to complete online.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
When I was living in France I changed to a French driving licence. I changed back to a UK licence in October 2017,mainly because employers won't take you on if you have a foreign one.
e
You didn't have a Uk licence "for one year " but 36. The fact that you swopped it for another EU one does not enter the equation as on the EU licence it always remains as a UK designated pass.
The answer to " do you hold a UK licence " is always yes.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
John de Manche
Feb 28, 2015
Rothwell Northants
Funster No
MH
Class C
Exp
Since 2014
Went with Adrian Flux. They were recommended "off the record" by one of the companies that could not help.
Safeguard is part of the Swinton group who have an office locally. In retrospect,if I had gone to the office perhaps we could have got over the licence problem.
Thank you Gus for the info on the licence. I thought reregistering UK vehicles in France was difficult but doing it in reverse is proving more difficult lol.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Had I seen it earlier I would have suggested that you answered 36 years to the how long question
as you simply complied with EU law and you were entitled to hold and not banned from holding a UK licence

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back