Problems at DVLA (1 Viewer)

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
In mid September, while photocopying my V5 for our motorhome, I noticed an error. Under the entry “Make of Vehicle” it said “Erwin Hymer Industries” instead of “Peugeot”. Presumably caused by an inexperienced clerk at the motorhome dealer who sold it to us and registered it.

During an on-line chat with the DVLA I was asked to send the V5, together with a covering letter of explanation so that it could be rectified, which I did. I was given a Case Number for reference.

Since then I had heard nothing so I sent two e-Mail enquiries asking about the situation and quoting the case number.Both elicited standard auto-response messages saying that I would be contacted within 72 hours. No further response was received.

This morning I managed to get through on the telephone and speak to a real human being. She was very pleasant and polite but told me that they have no record of receiving my returned V5 etc. She has arranged for me to receive a new V5 document, with the original error on it, which I must complete again and restart the whole process.

After almost nine weeks we are starting again with an estimated time, for the corrected V5, to be delivered a further 6 - 8 weeks. I know that CV19 is causing them problems but this should have been a very straightforward issue to rectify.

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Before you send the V5c for correction again have you considered the following which may apply to your MH.

With ours the Fiat plate shows 3500kg and I have been told that they could not issue one at a higher weight. Our Niesmann&Bischoff plate shows 3850kg which they are authorised to issue for Type Rating, maybe based on uprating suspension/tyres etc.

Our V5c shows Fiat as the Make of Vehicle and the registration authorities said that therefore they could only go by the maximum weight given in their info for a Fiat Ducato and not for a N&B Arto. Silly I know but they seemed not to know that converters are authorised for Type Rating purposes to apply higher weights.

My point is that if the Make of Vehicle is shown as Peugeot it could cause a similar problem in future, although I do not know what effect having Hymer Industries would have compared with Eldiss. I suggest you ensure that the Make on the V5c matches the issuer of the highest weight plate whether that be Peugeot, Alko or Eldiss.

Hope I have not started unnecessary complications, if for example all the weights are the same.

Geoff

Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
Is it a Peugeot or is it a Hymer? If I was going to sell it I would call it a Hymer 1st.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Been there, seen that, got the T Shirt.

When we bought our Hobby (with a Fiat front end) I noticed that the Tax Disc said 'Trigano' on it.
I then looked at the V5. That also said 'Trigano'

Now, I know that Trigano are, (were?) a French Co. Hobby is not made by Trigano. It's made in Germany by er' Hobby.

I therefore asked DVLA to change the Maker to Hobby. Several weeks later I got the V5 back with a letter saying. "No. We can't do that." No explanation, nothing.

So I rang them. Admittedly we weren't suffering from anything at the time other than the rank stupidity that is DVLA.

I eventually got to speak to Blodwyn. After explaining the situation to her she said and I quote.

" The reason we couldn't put the maker down as Hobby is that we don't have a code for a manufacturer named Hobby and, without a code, we couldn't send you any reminder that the tax was running out",

She then asked, and I think this is pertinent, "Could you give us another maker so that we could put in a code?" I said Fiat and everything turned out in the end.

In the OP's case, unless it wasn't a Hymer I'd leave well alone. The maker is Hymer Industries, Might not be 'Snappy' and roll off the tongue but at least its factually correct, (which it wasn't in our case)

OP
OP
maison
Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
It has already thrown up one problem.

On booking it in with a Peugeot dealer to have the TPMS set to sensible levels, instead of the 80 psi it is set at, they rang me back asking if I was sure it was a Peugeot.

They had checked the DVLA database and, of course, it came back as “Erwin Hymer Industries”. Not a major problem but shows that it is probably worth the effort.

As far as I know, and the lady at the DVLA seemed to confirm it this morning, the “ Make of Vehicle” on the V5 must refer to the base vehicle. A requirement hangover from many vehicles VED being dependent on the engine emissions of the base vehicle, not the motorhome manufacturer. (Unless, of course, they are going to tax us for grey water dribbling emissions). :cool:

Oct 11, 2016
Bognor Regis
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 69-4
Exp
6 years
I've posted this in other threads. In March I sent our V5c to dvla to correct a mistake. I didn't get it back until October. Any attempts to see what was happening failed.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
Probably not a mistake in the first place. Erwin Hymer Industries own Elddis. Sometimes motorhomes are registered by the base vehicle Fiat, Mercedes etc. but sometimes by the name of the constructor, in this case Erwin Hymer Industries. Might add to the value, leave it as it is.

OP
OP
maison
Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
I've posted this in other threads. In March I sent our V5c to dvla to correct a mistake. I didn't get it back until October. Any attempts to see what was happening failed.
That is what worries me.

If travel restrictions have been lifted by next May we intend to do an extended tour of Europe where we will be required to carry the V5 with us.

To date 9 weeks have elapsed. The replacement V5 should take about a week to arrive, then another 8 weeks to allow for processing, 18 weeks altogether, four and a half months and that is a best case scenario.

OP
OP
maison
Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Probably not a mistake in the first place. Erwin Hymer Industries own Elddis. Sometimes motorhomes are registered by the base vehicle Fiat, Mercedes etc. but sometimes by the name of the constructor, in this case Erwin Hymer Industries. Might add to the value, leave it as it is.
See my post #5 above.

I don’t profess to be an expert but the DVLA seem to believe it must be the base vehicle that is shown on the V5.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
See my post #5 above.

I don’t profess to be an expert but the DVLA seem to believe it must be the base vehicle that is shown on the V5.
No, when I had a Hymer it said Hymer on the V5. It may be a company policy to register all sales from the group in the name Hymer, perhaps it looks good on some statistics somewhere. I had to tell Mercedes the base vehicle was one of theirs and they logged it into their system, so that warranties recalls etc. were active. They said the dealer should have put it on their system as well at the time of registration. Some dealers are probably lazy and expect base vehicle manufacturers to pick it up from DVLA records.

OP
OP
maison
Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Thanks folks. (y)

In view of your experiences I will await the arrival of the replacement original V5 and keep that.

I would rather have it in my possession than roaming around the DVLA somewhere, especially with their Covid reduced service.

(Unless some-one comes back saying it is a genuine problem).:rolleyes:

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I registered a tractor in march , Nuffield tractor but for some unknown reason came back as a hymac :doh: :unsure:.
Anyway sent it all back and it came back about a month ago and miraculously it is now right.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I registered a tractor in march , Nuffield tractor but for some unknown reason came back as a hymac :doh: :unsure:.
Anyway sent it all back and it came back about a month ago and miraculously it is now right.
Btw that is hymac not hymer, hymac were a type of digger.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Unless they start complaining about it I would leave it as it is. You have already found out what a shambles it is & just keep your fingers crossed that the new one turns up.

Jun 23, 2013
Hurworth-on-Tees, Darlington, UK
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun Ti 650 MEG
Exp
Since July 2013 but been camping for 25+ years
We bought a newly registered Knaus on Saturday 31st October, we had the new V5c by Wednesday of the next week. Maybe that is automatic and the changes and stuff require human intervention, of which there are few around?

OP
OP
maison
Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
We bought a newly registered Knaus on Saturday 31st October, we had the new V5c by Wednesday of the next week. Maybe that is automatic and the changes and stuff require human intervention, of which there are few around?
Right first time I ‘m afraid.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
As it was imported it probably had to entered manually. Dealers know to submit the documents 2 weeks before the date they want it registered, along with the customs and UK VAT proof of payment documents.

Nasher

Free Member
May 6, 2016
Pontardawe
Funster No
MH
Pug Boxer
Exp
Since 2013
Whenever I see these threads, I often wonder whether the V5 was sent to the correct address :

Where to send your V5C
Send your V5C to DVLA, Swansea, SA99 1DZ if you changed any of the following:

engine size (cc)
fuel type
weight of a goods vehicle
number of seats on a bus

For all other changes, send your V5C to DVLA, Swansea, SA99 1BA.

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
It only took 2 weeks to get my V5 corrected. The dealer who registered the vehicle spelt my name incorrectly (despite having read my emails) and put the wrong address on the application.

That's modern edukashun in action.

Jun 23, 2013
Hurworth-on-Tees, Darlington, UK
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun Ti 650 MEG
Exp
Since July 2013 but been camping for 25+ years
As it was imported it probably had to entered manually. Dealers know to submit the documents 2 weeks before the date they want it registered, along with the customs and UK VAT proof of payment documents.
This was a MY 2019 Knaus, so had been at the dealers for some time and there certainly hadn't been two weeks from when we paid a deposit to picking the van up

OP
OP
maison
Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Whenever I see these threads, I often wonder whether the V5 was sent to the correct address :

Where to send your V5C
Send your V5C to DVLA, Swansea, SA99 1DZ if you changed any of the following:

engine size (cc)
fuel type
weight of a goods vehicle
number of seats on a bus

For all other changes, send your V5C to DVLA, Swansea, SA99 1BA.
It went to the address provided by the DVLA representative during the on-line chat.

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012

It probably depends on whether the converter registers the base vehicle first and then converts it, or instead builds it (using the base simply as one of the components) and uses their own type approval certificate.

knickam

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 5, 2020
Fraserburgh, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix Supreme
Exp
2 years
Hi chaser.
WRONG !! NOT PC !! You should have posted. " Hymac" Made types of 360deg Excavators. Not were/was a type of..Australian. Really,you cannot get the staff today.
Tea Bag

And is it PC to call an Australian Solder a "digger"
And Hymac also made wheeled back hoe type excavators which would actually need a V5 unlike most 360's

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Slow DVLA explained.....
Within the DVLA buildings are a number of cracks in the floorboards.
These cracks attract any mail left unsupervised which is where it festers until there is an electrical or plumbing fault, at which time the sparky or plumber will lift said boards to get at the fault.
While he/she/it is under the boards the hideaway mail is retrieved and dispatched under armed guard to the respective desk for attention.... This could be weeks or even months after initially 'not being recieved'

So now you know, when they say they never received your document it is hiding under a floorboard.

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
And is it PC to call an Australian Solder a "digger"
Hi.
Often had to call in at " Hymac " 360/excavators/diggers outlet at Clay Cross derbyshire for bits/spares. It seems like a hundred years ago. Didn't realise they used Australian Solder.....
Tea Bag

knickam

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 5, 2020
Fraserburgh, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix Supreme
Exp
2 years
Hi.
Often had to call in at " Hymac " 360/excavators/diggers outlet at Clay Cross derbyshire for bits/spares. It seems like a hundred years ago. Didn't realise they used Australian Solder.....
Tea Bag
Sorry about that, Failed my England at school:LOL:

OP
OP
maison
Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
As per my original post the DVLA claimed, last September, to have lost my original V5 when I sent it to get the Make of Vehicle changed. They then sent me a new V5 with the original details so I could resubmit my application.

Following discussions on this thread I decided not to resubmit my application but to hold on to the new V5 until the DVLA returned to full working.

Guess what? Today I received a new, corrected, copy of my V5 with the changes I had requested in my original “lost” application.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back