Problem with motorhome fridge/freezer (1 Viewer)

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
We have a Dometic RMDT8505 fridge/freezer in our 2015 Hymer. It works fine on gas and cools down well. But when we put it on 240v electrics it will not cool down at all and after a few days the panel lights between the fridge and the freezer, including the red one on the right, start flashing. Obviously at the moment we can't check it on 12v! The heater flue seems to be only hand warm when on 240v but gets very hot when on gas.

Any ideas please on what the problem may be. Many thanks for any help you can give.

Last edited:
OP
OP
peterc10
Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
My guess is that the 220v element has blown
Sounds sounds like it could be the mains element n, normally they go open circuit, sounds like it's about to competetly fail and has gone high restance.
Thanks to both of you. Is it an easy DIY job or should I call in the cavalry? If I can find any one willing to come and sort it out in these strange times, that is.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Hi Peter
I’ve never replaced one myself but I’ve certainly read about others on FUN who have

OP
OP
peterc10
Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Hi Peter
I’ve never replaced one myself but I’ve certainly read about others on FUN who have
So have I but not seen one with an idiot's guide with lots of pictures. I am hoping that it can be done reasonably easily through the lower vent, but if it involves taking the fridge out, I will need to call out the experts.

OP
OP
peterc10
Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
This might help its been put on here before good luck (y)

Thank you. It is not for our particular model, but if it is that easy with our model even I can do that. I will go out and look later as at least I have a clue as to what I should be looking for.

Does anybody know the resistance I should have on my element please so I can test that.

OP
OP
peterc10
Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
They are all similar I think on your one Peter you may have to take the gas burner out and remove the element from the bottom.
The element should be around 200 ohms.
Thanks Lenny. My maths suggest that means it is about a 275W element. Is that right?

OP
OP
peterc10
Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Thanks everybody who helped. I am sorry it has taken a while to come back but I have been actually working and earning some wonga from home. I have concluded that it is definitely the electric element gone. Have looked again and the element is in a similar position to the one shown on the video in post #9 above. But it sits side by side with the 12v element and I do not have as much access as shown on the video as our grill is smaller.

Looking at it I would rather pay somebody to replace it than me attempting it and breaking something in the way. I would like to get it done ASAP if I can find a mobile Dometic engineer willing to do it. No problem with Covid as my motorhome is in my garden and once he finishes work on it I will wait a few days before going near it.

So the question is can anybody recommend a decent mobile Dometic engineer in the West Kent/East Sussex area please as we live in Tunbridge Wells. If not can anybody point me to a list of Dometic trained mobile engineers instead.

Many thanks

Jun 12, 2017
Telford
Funster No
MH
A class Pilote
Exp
Any motorhome engineer worth his salt could source and replace for you I’d have thought

Jun 12, 2017
Telford
Funster No
MH
A class Pilote
Exp
Well i put up my post as you had specified Dometic which seriously narrows your scope and I suppose on hindsight it keeps you post bumped!

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Ian Longman
Southen Mobile Caravan Services
01342 312059
07817 027480

Ian is based in East Grinstead
I found him very professional and prompt when the pcb needed replacing on our Dometic fridge

OP
OP
peterc10
Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Ian Longman
Southen Mobile Caravan Services
01342 312059
07817 027480

Ian is based in East Grinstead
I found him very professional and prompt when the pcb needed replacing on our Dometic fridge
Thanks Robert. Looks like he has moved to Eastbourne now, but still covers our area. I have phoned him and left a message on his answerphone. Now waiting for a reply. But according to his website he is not working at all during this Covid crisis. So looks like I may need to find somebody else.

Has anybody got any other recommendations please for a mobile motorhome engineer in the West Kent / East Sussex area?

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
That’s a shame Peter because he’s a really goof guy and knows his stuff.

Good luck with the search

OP
OP
peterc10
Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
That’s a shame Peter because he’s a really goof guy and knows his stuff.

Good luck with the search
Thanks Robert.

He has phoned me back and said that the main reason he had to close down was because all his suppliers closed down, so could not do anything. He says he is thinking about restarting and took my details so that he could see if you can get the part I need. I will wait for a few days to see if he comes back to me on it. Given that he is a Dometic registered engineer I suspect that if he can't get the part, nobody else could.

I am no huge rush to start travelling again as we are still very much in hibernation mode, no matter what the government says. We are lucky enough to be able to sit it out with few worries.

I have looked up some other mobile engineers that I can try but will hold off, as I would prefer to use somebody that comes with a recommendation.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back