Problem with Kathrein Satellite (1 Viewer)

Coverco

Free Member
May 6, 2014
Barnsley
Funster No
MH
Hymer B595
Exp
Since 2014
I bought a 2004 Hymer recently with a Kathrein Bas60 manual satellite system fitted. I bought a Cello traveller tv with built in hd freesat. I connected it all up and using my trusty satellite finder from Ebay found the astra satellite on my drive and scanned for channels. I got all the normal freeview channels and it worked very well.
We went away for our first trip in the van at the weekend and on setting up the satellite I got loads of channels but all in German!!
I assumed I had found the wrong satellite so left it until I got home to sort it out. Now no matter what I do all I seem to get on Astra 2 is german channels. I reset the tv to factory but to no avail, am I doing something really stupid? Or has the lnb or dish packed in, it is as old as the van, help!

Satandpcguy

Funster
Jun 18, 2008
Gandia, Valencia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
None
You assumed right, you are on the wrong satellite
UK channels come from Astra 2 satellites at 28 east.
German channels are on Astra 1 satellites at 19 east.

"beeper" satellite "finders" will tell you that you are on A satellite, but not THE satellite that you want. I dare say you have simply located a signal, and probably a really strong one and assumed that is the correct satellite.... it takes a bit more than that.. and gets tricky as UK TV comes from 28 east, yet there are satellites at 26 and 33 which you may also pick up instead...

So even if your receiver is scanning the frequencies under the Astra 2 list, it still all depends on where the dish is aligned to...
ie you are scanning frequencies under Astra 2 on your receiver, but as frequencies are not exclusive to each satellite, it is picking up channels from the satellite your dish is aligned to (Astra 1) and placing them under that list .

("I bought a Cello traveller tv with built in hd freesat" - i think this is more a built in "free to air HD receiver", rather than a Freesat receiver. If it were a Freesat TV, it would have the Freesat logo and start up wizard...which most definitely would not work or scan for channels if it were not on the UK TV satellites!)

OP
OP
Coverco

Coverco

Free Member
May 6, 2014
Barnsley
Funster No
MH
Hymer B595
Exp
Since 2014
Thanks for your reply I have worked out the problem now. I was on the correct satellite however the 2 month old tv is not working correctly. When I got home I connected the Cello tv to my Sky system and it still refused to find the free to air UK channels. It did find a load of channels which were mainly sky scrambled but no BBC or ITV. They are picking the tv up tomorrow to check and fix it or replace. I have been manually finding the Astra 28.2 satellite for 4 years now so it is good to know I still can.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Satandpcguy

Funster
Jun 18, 2008
Gandia, Valencia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
None
Thanks for your reply I have worked out the problem now. I was on the correct satellite however the 2 month old tv is not working correctly.
I have been manually finding the Astra 28.2 satellite for 4 years now so it is good to know I still can.

You were most definitely on the wrong satellites, as there are no German channels on the UK TV satellites!!!
As you said in your original post "I got loads of channels but all in German!!"... which means you were pointing your dish at Astra 1 at 19 east, not Astra 2 at 28 east, as it is impossible to get German channels on Astra 2 at 28 east since there are none on Astra 28 so you were definitly not on Astra 2 but Astra 1!!!
Even if the TV is or is not working correctly, it will only pick up channels from the satellite that you are pointing to...and most German channels are on Astra 1!!! There is no other possibility or explanation.

When I got home I connected the Cello tv to my Sky system and it still refused to find the free to air UK channels. It did find a load of channels which were mainly sky scrambled but no BBC or ITV. They are picking the tv up tomorrow to check and fix it or replace.
Perhaps your LNB settings on the TV are wrong...wrong LNB settings can cause all sorts of issues with missing channels and chanel not on the right frequencies...

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back