Problem With Central Locking (1 Viewer)

Jan 20, 2015
Fife
Funster No
MH
Bessacar 454
Exp
Since 2013
I have a Bessacarrr 454 and I need some advice , when the central locking is activated both cabin doors lock as they should but the habitation door doesn't lock , it has to be locked manually. All help , advice would be welcome .

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I'm not aware that the habitation door on these is linked to the central locking of the cab ... are you sure it has this facility?

Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
The habitation door is not usually linked to the van manufacturers system, which is a shame and could be of benefit.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

golly

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 16, 2009
Land of the Prince Bishops
Funster No
MH
HYMERCAR PVC
Exp
since August 2009
I had an Autosleeper with this problem, gave the contacts a clean with alcohol wipe which seemed to solve it. Another cause may be that the door has dropped slightly on the hinges, may need adjusting, assuming of course that the door is linked to the central locking.:)

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
You may want to check the wires at the bottom of the door, they can wear and fracture.

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
I'm not aware that the habitation door on these is linked to the central locking of the cab ... are you sure it has this facility?
We have a 454.
I'm assuming you mean when you press the middle button on the keyfob @ianhyslop ? Has it only just stopped working? (I can't help, but these are questions others might ask!)
Without checking, Him Indoors thinks that central locking from in the cab doesn't include the hab door.

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
Our Bessacarr E560 has central locking that includes the habitation door. From new it didn't work properly, not unlocking when the key fob was used. The dealer failed to fix it under warranty so I took the door apart myself and discovered a bent/broken spring on the locking mechanism. Repaired and worked ever since, some 4 years now.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
If anything like my Rapido? If the hab door has been unlocked with the key rather than the fob it won't lock again with the fob until you turn the lock back with the key first.

Jul 3, 2008
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 700
Exp
since 1998
I had a problem with my Laika hab door not locking, if you look at the bottom of the hab door hinge side, you may see a rubber type tube peel back the tube and check if the wire inside has broken, if so splice the two broken ends together this should fix it

OP
OP
I
Jan 20, 2015
Fife
Funster No
MH
Bessacar 454
Exp
Since 2013
First let me thank you all for taking the time to reply , the habitation door is linked into licking mechanism . Now I am going to look at all your solutions and try them .

Nov 21, 2011
Rugeley
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Savanah
Exp
Since 2009
Ian, I had the same problem with our autotrail Apache last year and it turned out to be a fuse (we have a seperate fuse box behind the drivers seat which has the mini auto fuses and covers things the toilet waterpump, electric step etc) could be something to look for.

Dec 24, 2009
bedworth warks
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
2009 previously a tugger for thirty years
On our old 425 we used to have to shut the door quite hard to get the central locking to work. If we didn't it used to make all the right clunking noises but not lock properly. Consequently we always checked the door was locked by yanking on the handle.

It obviously became an ingrained habit as two years on I still do it on the Pilote.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
First let me thank you all for taking the time to reply , the habitation door is linked into licking mechanism . Now I am going to look at all your solutions and try them .
Oooo ... can I have a 'licking' mechanism! :p Sounds like fun ....

ooo-er .... just realised that could be interpreted as being rather rude! :oops:

Linda Watt

Free Member
Mar 9, 2016
Banffshire
Funster No
MH
2012 Bailey Autograph 475
Exp
Since 2012
HELP! Our Central locking has been a problem since new we bought our Bailey in 2012.....been at dealers every year for habitation check and they always say it's fixed....NOT! Last trip away the locking system opened and shut itself all night and through the day.....'CLONK CLICK CLONK CLICK'!!!! Came home complained again to the Bailey dealer and he panned us off and said it was Peagouts fault take it to a Peugot garage. They couldn't takes us so we took it to our local garage....it's been there 4 days they have tried everything and are stumped. He's now looking into the Cobra alarm which our dealer was supposed to check the last time it was there??? My husband thought this locking problem usually happened when our engine battery was flat and after driving a few hours the locking system seemed to be ok.....but last trip away as I say it went all the time! Any Help on this matter would be much appreciated so I can pass on to our local garage guys!

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
We had the same problem with our Autotrail.

There should be a pair of contacts on the door frame and a matching contact strip. I suspect one is corroded - cleaned ours with a bit of scotchbrite and now works a treat. (y)

Linda Watt

Free Member
Mar 9, 2016
Banffshire
Funster No
MH
2012 Bailey Autograph 475
Exp
Since 2012
Thank you for that info.....I will pass this on to the guys at the garage. Our door is a problem too blown back on the hinges a few times and the wires at the bottom of the door were cut....but this has been fixed too? So we're still puzzled!

Mar 8, 2016
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2009
Once again Funsters have saved us time & money. Our hab door stopped locking with the remote but the cab doors still locked. We could lock the hab door manually from the inside. I found this 'oldish' thread & we worked through the possible solutions. We had previously devised a means of keeping the cable which feeds the electrics to the door out of the way. It hangs down & wants to get trapped between door & frame whenever the door is closed. It looks like the elastic band we had used IMG_6851.JPG IMG_6852.JPG IMG_6853.JPG IMG_6856.JPG
had perished so was no longer serving its purpose & sure enough, when we stripped the outer coving off the cable, one of the wires was broken. Managed to join this back up, retaped cable, new elastic band & success!!! I will try & attach a couple of photos. So once again a massive thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread, it just shows the tremendous resource we have at our disposal for a very small annual cost.

Jun 14, 2011
Grantham
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
7 years
I have a slightly different problem but along the same lines. My cab doors and hab door lock with the remote but only the hab door opens with it now they all used to open and close so clearly all linked any siggestions. Thanks in advance.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
I have a slightly different problem but along the same lines. My cab doors and hab door lock with the remote but only the hab door opens with it now they all used to open and close so clearly all linked any siggestions. Thanks in advance.
What vehicle chassis is it?

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Try pressing the dashboard door lock button once and see if the fob works then.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Similar problem on our Bolero. The central locking would not always lock the hab door, although it always unlocked it okay. We also noticed the hab door required a firm slam to close it properly so, fed up with this, I experimented with the door catches, actually ended up easing them off a bit. Two results - the door closed much easier and the lock operated properly every time thereafter.

Incidentally I also discovered that the panel holding all the locking mechanisms to the door was coming away. It was only bonded with no mechanical attachment at all so after clearing out the loose rubbish used No More Nails to rebond it. Has lasted a couple of years up to now.

And finally, as a clue for anyone else, the wires to the locking mechanism have a connection within the door and it is so so easy to pull them off. You need to check you've reconnected them the right way round before buttoning everything back up as it'll work quite happily backwards (i.e "lock" unlocks and vice versa).

Ian1801

Free Member
Feb 24, 2017
N lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr 424
Exp
6 months
Hi we had the same problem with our bessacarr 424 it’s was only wire com apart in the door check voltage at the lock before taking it apart quite a easy fix .

Jun 14, 2011
Grantham
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
7 years
Tried the dashboard button - no luck When the central locking is locked it works on the cab and hab doors on unlocking the hab opens and I can hear the mechanicals in the cab doors trying but they do not open

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back