Problem - possible low gas pressure on one line only to Fridge!!! (1 Viewer)

Feb 2, 2009
North West
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Quite a while.....though not long enough
Hi,

Our fridge (Dometic 8555) has had next to no use prior to our ownership, and is near new even though a little over 4 years old, but unused for a couple of them years due to health issues with previous owner.

We have been using it on EHU for the past 5 months without issue.

Having moved off EHU for a week recently, we noticed it would work intermittently on gas (works fine in 12v also), and would often give the beeping flashing red error requiring the triangle reset option to get it running again.

I'm not convinced that it is any of the usual Dometic known gas issues (flue, needing cleaning, unlevel, PCB, etc), but I think I have possibly spotted the cause of the problem and wondering if anyone else has come across it and knows the solution?

There are 2 other devices on the same Tee as the Fridge, these being the BBQ point and the Oven / Grill.

I am testing it, with only one device running to narrow it down. But if I run any of them from this particular branch, i.e Oven, Grill or BBQ then the flame is a little poor and flickers as if in short supply / partly blocked.

If I run any of the other lines the gas works fine (Hobb, Alde Heater).

Do you think it could be the red isolation valve playing up giving that particular branch a poor supply?

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated as we will soon have no option of EHU for a week or so.

TIA

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Not heard of those valves playing up I would disconnect the valve and see if there is any obstructions maybe a bit of muck or swarf from when the van was built.
Also if there is enough slack can you swap the the outlet pipe to one of the other outlets on the manifold, that could confirm if its the valve.

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
Are you level ? We had it in our previous van it only needed to be slightly out of level and the fridge would not work on gas.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

SandraL

Free Member
Jan 24, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Hymer b694sl
Exp
Since 2012 + Caravanner for 20+ years
If you suspect low pressure then connect a manometer, bit of bent plastic tube with ribena in it, to check actual gas pressure? But not if unhappy working on gas fittings!

OP
OP
Ian-n-Suzy
Feb 2, 2009
North West
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Hi,

Thanks for replies.

I've not touched it and the fridge has stayed on gas through the night.

The grill which has never been used other than to test the same line, is still flickering as if not good enough feed on the same line though, so I'm convinced that's a symptom of the problem, but will perhaps leave it till we get home as the fridge is the only concern currently.

Mar 21, 2015
notts
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2010
Hi Ian-n-Suzy
Think I have just come across the same problem, it appears to be very low gas pressure/supply to Dometic tech tower.

Did you find a solution please?

OP
OP
Ian-n-Suzy
Feb 2, 2009
North West
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Hi Ian-n-Suzy
Think I have just come across the same problem, it appears to be very low gas pressure/supply to Dometic tech tower.

Did you find a solution please?
Hi,

It intermittently worked for a short while and was nothing to do with the supply per se, but ultimately I took it to Direct Motorhome Services in Nuneaton (who I can highly recommend).

It needed the front fascia panel replacing (with all all the buttons on), and also the rear Polyswitch block was replaced.

Good luck with it.

Mar 21, 2015
notts
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2010
Many thanks for your reply.

It seems I may be going down the same route as yourself.
When I try to light my tech tower oven the internal light light slowly fades and the ignition gradually slows until the fridge alarm sounds.
The fridge itself has been working on 12v and ehu but now its lights have begun to flicker also. !!!

If anyone has any other ideas I'd be grateful (y)

All the best

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back