Problem getting satellite signal through to TV... (1 Viewer)

cazd

Free Member
May 4, 2008
Shrewsbury
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
New - since August 2008
We have a Samy automatic detection satellite dish linked to a Pace box which was professionally installed approximately one year ago. The dish appears to detect the satellite as it says "Astra 2 found" on the control panel, but the TV says "No satellite signal detected" (or words to that effect). I've rung Sky and they've told me to switch off at the mains, switch back on and leave for 60 seconds before pressing "Sky" button on the remote control. This hasn't worked though and their suggestion is to ring a local satellite engineer who can do some tests on the equipment.

Before I do this, does anyone have any suggestions as to what the problem may be?

We've had the motorhome for 3 weeks and the system was already installed and we have had it working (up until about a week ago when we went away in it and couldn't get it to work) and still can't get it working even now we're back home.

Any help you can give will be very much appreciated.

Many thanks
Carol

adventure

Free Member
Oct 16, 2007
somerset
Funster No
Exp
25 years
Hi Carol

If you press the services buton on your sky remote then select option 4 then option 6 this will display the signal strength and quality, if it does not show any then either the signal from the sat dish is not getting through to the box, check the wire that screws into the back of the pace box, or the box itself has developed a fault:thumb:

hope this helps, if you are local to somerset I would be happy to have a look

nick

OP
OP
cazd

cazd

Free Member
May 4, 2008
Shrewsbury
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
New - since August 2008
Many thanks Nick, I'll try what you suggest in the morning. We're in Shropshire, so unfortunately nowhere near Somerset, but thanks for the offer :Smile:

Carol

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
cazd

cazd

Free Member
May 4, 2008
Shrewsbury
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
New - since August 2008
The Signal Strength gives a reading of about 60-70%, the Signal Quality is on 90% the majority of the time but occassionally goes to zero. What do these readings need to be to get a picture?

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
The Signal Strength gives a reading of about 60-70%, the Signal Quality is on 90% the majority of the time but occassionally goes to zero. What do these readings need to be to get a picture?

Sounds like the cable connection, all readings should be steady. The most important one is the quality, & yours sounds good, if the strength falls this tends to indicate the cable connector is not making good contact.
This could be either end of the cable so the dish end is on the roof & with all the rain we have had recently it could have got damp.

Hope this helps

Keith

OP
OP
cazd

cazd

Free Member
May 4, 2008
Shrewsbury
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
New - since August 2008
Many thanks Keith, I'll have to send the other half up on the roof then it seems ::bigsmile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Many thanks Keith, I'll have to send the other half up on the roof then it seems ::bigsmile:
Absolutely!!!!
If you fall and break yer neck who's going to post the questions:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Drill it into him, if he should fall, instead of screaming, ask him for a description of whats happening up there on his way down

Last edited:
OP
OP
cazd

cazd

Free Member
May 4, 2008
Shrewsbury
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
New - since August 2008
Just to let you know that I've got this problem sorted now. For some reason the Network ID was showing through the TV as 013E which apparantly is Hotbird's ID, even though the satellite control was showing that it had it detected Astra 2. So after much fiddling and faffing, I've managed to get the Network ID to show as 0002 (Astra 2's Network ID) and the TV now works! Yipeeeee ::bigsmile:

Thought I would update the forum, in case anyone else has the same problem.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back