Private Registration Eligibility, Tax/Sorn. (1 Viewer)

Nov 24, 2008
Anywhere that takes our fancy
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since july 2009 And Still Going Strong
Hello all.

We are looking at possibly getting private number plates but whilst looking at the gov website it says, amongst other things which are all fine.

The vehicle must:
  • have been taxed or had a SORN in place continuously for the past 5 years
We've only had the vehicle three years, its a 2012, so how can I check to see if its been kept up to date prior to that? I don't want to go through the online process then be told later that I can't have it on the vehicle.

Comments welcome please.

Many thanks

Shawn

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
We have a couple of private plates that have been transferred to other vehicles.

I don't recall that particular condition, but we didn't have any problems.

Not sure if you can check that information, but unless it is an especially expensive plate, I'd be inclined to take a chance.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Have you read that correctly ?? Is that not for taking a number OFF a vehicle ??
I know my DIL has her old car parked on her drive and because she never taxed it or did sorn she cant move her private plate as it's been to long.

OP
OP
shawn&emma
Nov 24, 2008
Anywhere that takes our fancy
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since july 2009 And Still Going Strong
Have you read that correctly ?? Is that not for taking a number OFF a vehicle ??
I know my DIL has her old car parked on her drive and because she never taxed it or did sorn she cant move her private plate as it's been to long.

This is the text from the gov page:

Eligibility​

You cannot:

• assign a number starting with ‘Q’ or ‘NIQ’
  • put a private number on a ‘Q’ registered vehicle
  • use a private number that makes a vehicle look newer than it is - for example, an ‘07’ registration number on a 2003 registered vehicle
The vehicle must:

• be registered with DVLA in the UK
  • be able to move under its own power
  • be of a type that needs an MOT or heavy goods vehicle (HGV) test certificate
  • be taxed currently (or have a SORN in place - if it’s had a SORN for more than 5 years, it must be taxed)
  • be available for inspection
DVLA will check your application and contact you if your vehicle needs an inspection.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Correct BUT that section is taking a number OFF a vehicle.

Deleted User
You say you don't want to go through the online process but if you will get an instant answer

Grummyb

Free Member
Dec 31, 2020
Corby
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since about 2013
I've just had a cherished number put on a brand new vehicle so are you sure you have read it correctly

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Doesn't make sense as you can assign a personal plate to unregistered vehicle if you go by that it has to be taxed.
Current van I put mine on at first registration when I imported it, last van when it was 3 months old.

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Changed my private plate to the 2 year old replacement vehicle last October, no problem and never have had a problem changing to another vehicle.

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
To be fair, the OP's post does correctly indicate the DVLA page for assigning a plate TO a vehicle. However, it does seem wrong (no surprise there with DVLA), as it clearly excludes vehicles under 5 years of age. And I can't imagine they have such a restriction as many vehicles under 5 years of age have personalised numberplates, so the website is clearly telling porkies. What the actual situation is is somewhat unclear.

Deleted User
As I understand it you buy one first then its when you assign it to a vehicle you then find out if it can go on there or not.
I thought you meant the online process to assign the plate rather than buying one so I now understand your dilemma.

Cheshirecat57

Free Member
Feb 3, 2018
Mid Cheshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years on and off
As I understand it you buy one first then its when you assign it to a vehicle you then find out if it can go on there or not.
You have interpreted it incorrectly
If you buy it off them, you can put it on your vehicle, providing it does not make your vehicle look younger than it is
So in your case, a 13 plate cannot go on
The reference to continuous taxation refers to the removal of a plate

Deleted User
The reference to continuous taxation refers to the removal of a plate
It seems also to assigning a number

Assign a private number to a vehicle​

To assign a private (personalised) number to a vehicle, you need one of the following:
  • a V778 retention document
  • a V750 certificate of entitlement
  • an online reference number
You get one of these when you either buy a number or take a number from another vehicle you own.

Eligibility​

You cannot:
  • assign a number starting with ‘Q’ or ‘NIQ’
  • put a private number on a ‘Q’ registered vehicle
  • use a private number that makes a vehicle look newer than it is - for example, an ‘07’ registration number on a 2003 registered vehicle
The vehicle must:
  • be registered with DVLA in the UK
  • be able to move under its own power
  • be of a type that needs an MOT or heavy goods vehicle (HGV) test certificate
  • be taxed currently (or have a SORN in place - if it’s had a SORN for more than 5 years, it must be taxed)
  • be available for inspection
DVLA will check your application and contact you if your vehicle needs an inspection.

Grummyb

Free Member
Dec 31, 2020
Corby
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since about 2013
I've just looked at q of my retention certs and it doesn't says the vehicle you are assign the number to "is taxed or being taxed or has a sorn in force at the time of the application" no mention of the 5 year thing and in my experience it won't let you assign a number to an unraxed vehicle if you do it online

SD j

Free Member
May 9, 2020
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin supreme
Exp
Since 2000
Maybe ring DVLA.
but ive bought imports and put my plates on them and obviously they have never been taxed or sorn over here.

gerrym11

Free Member
Sep 18, 2020
Colchester, UK
Funster No
MH
AS Broadway FB
Exp
Just a year
I have just put my private plate on retention and then transferred it to my new (to me) moho. For the first time I was not able to do this transaction online as my previous moho had been untaxed for more than 6 months in the previous 5 years. So the process took much longer than usual (about 3 weeks) but I received my new V5 this week and everything is sorted.
Not sure if this is relevant to your case but thought I would post in case it is.

Cheers

Gerry

Popty

Free Member
Aug 22, 2020
Oxfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
American RV,
Exp
Since 2018
Hello all.

We are looking at possibly getting private number plates but whilst looking at the gov website it says, amongst other things which are all fine.

The vehicle must:
We've only had the vehicle three years, its a 2012, so how can I check to see if its been kept up to date prior to that? I don't want to go through the online process then be told later that I can't have it on the vehicle.

Comments welcome please.

Many thanks

Shawn
Hi, my kids bought me a personalised number plate for my 50th birthday (some 20 years ogo) I have put this plate on many vehicles lve owned and never had a problem, as long as the recipient vehicle is taxed

Apr 12, 2010
Bury St Edmunds, West Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg Cara
Exp
since 2007
As above. Just go onto the DVLA site and try it. It will tell you when you try it if it can’t be done.
Ive done it many times over the years and only had one problem where I had to send in paperwork.
Phil

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2009
If you are proposing to purchase a plate from DVLA for private use, it appears you can get a refund within the first 14 days.

Details are in the 'Help' section of the website under the question - Can I cancel the purchase?

The following information only applies for consumer purchases of fixed price registrations sold through this website. We reserve the right to refuse cancellation requests from businesses and in cases where any purchases have been bought with the intent to re-sell.

If you have not already applied to put the registration number onto a vehicle and wish to cancel your purchase, email cancellations@dvla.gov.uk within 14 days after the date of purchase, and the reason for your request will be considered.

Applications to cancel made after 14 days will not be accepted, but you can still apply for a refund of the £80.00 assignment fee.

In your email please include:

• The registration number you purchased
  • Your full name and address, as it was given at the time of purchase. If it was a company purchase, please also provide your name and position in that company
  • A declaration that you will destroy the Certificate of Entitlement (V750) once we have confirmed that your purchase has been cancelled (or if you have not yet received the certificate, you will destroy it upon receipt).

We aim to reply to you within 14 days of your request, and if approved, a refund will be made to the payment card used at the time of purchase. We reserve the right to charge a cancellation administration fee in the event of excessive or irregular cancellation requests.

Oct 25, 2016
Hartford Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-
Exp
Lots but slow learner.
We have a couple of private plates that have been transferred to other vehicles.

I don't recall that particular condition, but we didn't have any problems.

Not sure if you can check that information, but unless it is an especially expensive plate, I'd be inclined to take a chance.
Don't think the value of the plate has a bearing. I've transferred high value plates from car to car over the years with no issues.

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2009
Don't think the value of the plate has a bearing. I've transferred high value plates from car to car over the years with no issues.
I understand precisely what you are saying and agree. I wasn't indicating the value of the plate makes any difference as to whether it CAN be assigned to a particular vehicle.

Simply suggesting if it is the OP's first venture into buying a private plate from DVLA, if it were me, I'd take the personal risk if it was a few hundred quid. But if it was a plate costing thousand of £s I might be a somewhat more circumspect about investigating the true facts in detail - as the OP is endeavouring to do - before committing to a purchase.

Perhaps my original post was somewhat ambiguous? :unsure:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back