scbunurse

Free Member
Jan 17, 2018
Inverness
Funster No
MH
Test driving tomorrow !!!
Exp
Going to order cab screen from Taylormade. Are the privacy nets worth having? I presume that they will preserve your modesty when you get out of the shower starkers?

Jul 11, 2016
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Ixeo TL680g
Exp
returnee
Taylormade screens - great quality product - great insulation. The mesh is good for letting the light in the cab - but still some privacy. Otherwise you are completely blacked out.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

ABZSteve

Free Member
Banned
Jan 8, 2014
Aberdeen
Funster No
MH
2018, Apache 634 150 Auto
Exp
Since 2015
Going to order cab screen from Taylormade. Are the privacy nets worth having? I presume that they will preserve your modesty when you get out of the shower starkers?
Doesn't bother me, they can only see the lower half, keep my moobs to myself (y);)

Aug 18, 2017
Antequera, Spain
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 680 SP
Exp
5 years and still learning
Not worth the money.

Out of interest, where are you going on holiday ?o_O

Is your "not worth the money" based on personal experience with Taylormade products or just simply your opinion?
I ask because I am also thinking of buying a set for my MH
The MH will be used in England, Wales, Scotland, France and Spain in both winter and summer.

Stonemags76

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2011
Derbyshire Dales
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleepers Warwick Duo
Exp
Full Time 2011-2013, now part timers!
We have silver screens with privacy screen now, although we didn’t have them on our old van. We love the privacy screen, as we can see out, light gets in, and as we are in a pvc, we can get changed etc without frightening the neighbours! Love them!

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
Privacy screen great when the sun is shining directly onto windscreen.
Keeps the van cool. :hot:

But perhaps not so much of a problem in the UK :cold: :roflmto::roflmto::roflmto:

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
We have silver screens and the privacy screen is excellent just don’t put the lights on inside at night as you will be seen from outside,
Usually pull up top cover before going to bed anyway.

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
not got the taylot made screens, but they do look good qquality, we don't have privacy screens on ours, our first van had front blinds, would quite like them now though. used in below zero temperatures they make a great difference, I also wish we had the ones which cover the vents on the bonnet.

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Ive got Silver Screens with privacy panel and wouldn’t have them without.

RogerThat

LIFE MEMBER
May 20, 2016
North West
Funster No
MH
PVC
Another avid TaylorMade user here, they're great for keeping the cold out in winter and equally as good at keeping the heat our in summer - but I don't have the privacy screen :oops:

OP
OP
scbunurse

scbunurse

Free Member
Jan 17, 2018
Inverness
Funster No
MH
Exp
As usual - lots of replies - so helpful thank you! We are picking up a Bailey Autograph 79 6 on 3rd March but will be going away straight away in UK. We live in Highlands of Scotland so need the silver screens for winter up here but hoping to go to Europe as well - probably next year. For the small amount that they cost it seems they might well be worth getting at the same time. For anyone who is interested, when I spoke to Taylormade they said if I thought I might order the skirt at a later date to let them know at the time of ordering the screen cover and they would put the velcro fixing strip on ready. I don't know how secure a skirt would be without it....

The2i's

Free Member
Nov 7, 2016
Appleby, Cumbria.
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Since 2016
We keep our privacy screen in the loft and it'll stay there forever! We only use the TaylorMade's in extreme conditions for insulation, any other time we don't use them and can look out and others are free to look in. I can understand that a privacy screen would be useful in hot conditions for shade.
Also, I packed everything away on one occasion when it must have been slightly damp. The main silver covers were fine but the privacy screen was quite stained with mildew / mould, it took a good few sessions with bleach in the bath to get it (almost) clean.

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
Is your "not worth the money" based on personal experience with Taylormade products or just simply your opinion?
I ask because I am also thinking of buying a set for my MH
The MH will be used in England, Wales, Scotland, France and Spain in both winter and summer.
It was based upon humour and posted with a winking emoji o_O

Dec 17, 2016
Malvern
Funster No
MH
Hymer B525 2006 A cl
Exp
We have silverscreens by Paragon with a privacy mesh. They have really made a difference to winter camping by being good insulators and preventing condensation -much better than the internal ones on our campervan. The privacy mesh is also excellent as it allows some light into the van.
The one downside with external screens is that you could nt drive off in a hurry -not a problem at campsites but could be relevant if wild camping I guess.

OP
OP
scbunurse

scbunurse

Free Member
Jan 17, 2018
Inverness
Funster No
MH
Exp
People keep mentioning the need for a speedy exit from wild camping sites - maybe I'm being naive but why.....?

Dec 17, 2016
Malvern
Funster No
MH
Hymer B525 2006 A cl
Exp
You may be on your own in a wild camping spot.If someone tried to break in whilst you were in the van it would be good not to have to get out and remove the screens...
Never happened to us but we are quite careful when wild camping in an area we don't know.

Basildog

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 21, 2018
Funster No
We have been wilding for years and never needed to make a quick getaway, we wouldn't stay somewhere we didn't feel safe and have no problems with putting the silverscreens on .
We tend to talk to any boy racers etc and next thing they are asking about the van and how it works etc .
We don't very often even lock the doors at night .

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
The only time we needed a quick gettaway was when we realised the very loud music from the event a couple of hundred yards away was for an all-nighter. That fact that young people were still turning up and trying to park anywhere at gone midnight was the main clue. So drove off at one o'clock before we got blocked in to a blissfully quiet aire about half an hour away. It is the only time I have driven in my pyjamas.

Kevan

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 18, 2014
Kent and south west France
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
30 years caravan/motorhome
img1415069.jpg

Silver screens can be used on the inside if needed(y)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
People keep mentioning the need for a speedy exit from wild camping sites - maybe I'm being naive but why.....?

there are no such place as a "wild camping site". .. only a parking place.. and you are in a public place so anything can happen..

External screens would impede a quick exit, and you would also have to get out of the van into a situation you would perhaps rather avoid..

" Driving away is the very best defence for many security situations."

Good advice here from Jim
My top ten tips for safe wild camping

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2017
Antequera, Spain
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 680 SP
Exp
5 years and still learning
Ahhh OK @suavecarve ............. missed it completely ....... whoosh over me head it went. I have 2 active brain cells, one is my smartass cell, the other is my humour recognition cell, that lazy little bugger must have been asleep ;)(y)

Last edited:

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
Ahhh OK @suavecarve ............. missed it completely ....... whoosh over me head it went. I have 2 active brain cells, one is may smartass cell, the other is my humour recognition cell, that lazy little bugger must have been asleep ;)(y)
Unfortunately my smartass cell and humour cell are the only ones that work !And my tightfisted cell

I gathered you missed it. We cant all be perfect all the time. :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back