Printer recommendations please? (1 Viewer)

neilmac

Free Member
Nov 24, 2008
UK, France & Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2nd year
Anyone got any recommendations for a multifunction printer (printer/scanner/copier) with reasonable/reliable performance?

Our 5 year old Epson RX425 is playing up and I'm looking for a replacement.

Had a quick look around Eroski (supermarket here in Spain) and there were several around 60 Euros - Canon, Epson, Lexmark and HP. Replacement ink cartridges seemed to be similarly priced throughout.

I'd rather buy based on recommendation so, anyone?

Sep 27, 2007
Shropshire based
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
started in 2001
Printers

We have had a Lexmark for the last two years, robust, does a fair job, replacement cartridges, well we shop around, but our local print world shop always wins.

His recomendation recently is "Brother" for service and low cost cartridges, but there not in your selection.

Hope this helps.

Nomadic:thumb
:

Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
I've been using a HP PSC 1410 for the last three years and its been fine.
Ink cartridges I get from Cartridge world. They sell a high capacity black (& white:roflmto:) cartridge for £10. (3 times the ink content they assure me).

Hope this helps

Phil

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

champers

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 9, 2009
Skegness, UK
Funster No
MH
Frankia i650 FD
Exp
Since March 09
If you were in the UK I would definitely say Epson, Epson and Epson ( but not sure of the availability abroad and costs ) every time IMHO it has an excellent quality of print ... although the other makes mentioned are good also their cartridges are very very expensive

I once had a HP this was soooo slow to print , it was cheaper to purchase a new printer than buy a new cartridge and was sooo noisy , same with the Lexmark

Good Luck finding a good printer !

Kath

Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
I once had a HP this was soooo slow to print , it was cheaper to purchase a new printer than buy a new cartridge and was sooo noisy , same with the Lexmark

Kath, that's a very good point - but why do you have to worry about the cost of cartridges when you own 2 motorhomes?:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

PS - how is the new MH? Been out in it yet?

Last edited:

GregM

Free Member
Nov 2, 2009
Nottinghamshire
Funster No
Exp
June 09
I like Lexmark and have had a couple but their cartridges aren't the cheapest.

S

S&J

Deleted User
Anyone got any recommendations for a multifunction printer (printer/scanner/copier) with reasonable/reliable performance?

Our 5 year old Epson RX425 is playing up and I'm looking for a replacement.

Had a quick look around Eroski (supermarket here in Spain) and there were several around 60 Euros - Canon, Epson, Lexmark and HP. Replacement ink cartridges seemed to be similarly priced throughout.

I'd rather buy based on recommendation so, anyone?

The Canon ip pixma series are good, ink only cartridges so cheaper to run. At work we found Epson printers prone to drying out if not used frequently, Computer Active Magazine recommends HP Photosmart C4480 as an all in one printer scanner at a bargain price £48?

Check out original cartridge prices for all makes of printers at www.7dayshop.com

Digital camera Magazine recommends canon Printers in a recent review
Pixma ip4700 for printing only so no multifunction Two Multifunction Canon MP560 and Editor's Choice the Pixma MP640 which had the highest resolution scanner on test, best outright photo quality and direct printing on CDs Wifi Connectivity and a 7.5 cm colour LCD

Steve
Steve

kennygd

Free Member
Dec 1, 2009
Anywhere in the UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Starting out fulltiming
:Smile:Morning all, if you need good quality ink cartridges at a very low price go to Link Removed I have been using them for about 9 years and I always use their refillable cartridges.
kennygd :thumb:

dylan

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
sw wales
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
n/a
Only ever had epson, R360 at the moment, big but works great and compatible inks cheap.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Epson SX for me --215 IS ON OFFER AT TESCO FOR £39 -( not a lot of use to you in Spain ) I bought one a few months ago along with 20 inks ( 18 ml ) for £13 from ebay :thumb: prints very nice on both pics and text. The wireless model (sx515 ) is under 60 quid :thumb:
terry

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Neil ...we have a officejet 6310 all in one...................................also a Lexmark...

The Hp is Brill....... had for 3 years and still as good as new good

The Lexmark ? we have given up on our one and given up on even thinking of ever buying another..we have had 8 LEXMARK'S over the years, cheap to buy, but not cheap to run...we found all our Lexmark's would not run correctly on remake cartridges,... also genuine cartridges prone to drying out ....even tried refilling the genuine cartridges and that was a no no......so it was a lot of money wasted...but you could buy a new a Lexmark printer with cartridges for nearly for the price of a pair replacement genuine cartridges...so just keep buying new Lexmark printers and not replacement cartridges ?? ....I will say one thing in favour of the Lexmark, if you are using card..no problems what so ever, as they normally feed from the back.. and they normally come with some good photo software.(the wife does a lot of printing as well as myself) we are printing nearly every day, go away for two to three weeks and the Lexmark would dry out ...maybe in England if the air as a little more humidity / moisture in the air ?

HP :thumb:

I used Epson in the early days ...and they was fine.....

Mel :thumb:

champers

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 9, 2009
Skegness, UK
Funster No
MH
Frankia i650 FD
Exp
Since March 09
Kath, that's a very good point - but why do you have to worry about the cost of cartridges when you own 2 motorhomes?:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

PS - how is the new MH? Been out in it yet?

haha cheeky:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: Forgot to say my printer is a Epson DX6000

The "Camper Van" is sold alas, but anything can happen until their money arrives in the bank :winky:

We only went for a ride to Carmarthen and home via Swansea Bank Holiday Monday, as John wanted to do the cam belt , brakes etc which is being done this w/e (sorry this is a printer thread)

PenelopePitstop

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 3, 2007
Royston Vasey and beyond!
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 1999
We always have Epson printer / scanners and find them really good - so cheap to buy that if it conks out after a couple of years (in the past they have had quite a bashing!!:ROFLMAO:) it's not the end of the world to buy another.
Buy compatible inks from Ink4you on the internet and have done for many many years!

Got the Epson SX200 at the moment and very pleased with it.

Mar 28, 2010
Wirral
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer 504
Exp
Since 1995
Bought our HP from Morgan Computers two years ago. They do cut price printers, reconditioned or end of lines. Service was fine. Worth a look if price is an issue.

Robinhood

Free Member
Mar 7, 2010
Sherwood Forest
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
20 years
Personally, I would always look for last year's higher cost model being sold off at a bargain price. That's why I have an HP Officejet Pro which was bought at little more than the price of a standard home printer when it hit bargain price in Staples (who I find good for firesale printers, but not much else).

They're built for significantly higher duty cycles and give much better speed than a cheap printer.

HOWEVER, I offset the runnning costs by buying one which can be fitted with a continuous ink system (CISS) and thus avoid the most expensive part of running such a printer - cartridges. For around the cost of a set of replacement cartridges, you can buy a CISS system AND much more ink than you get in the cartridges, and then subsequently simply buy very cheap refill ink (and this isn't a cartridge refill, it is easily topping up a container once it is below a certain point).

A very cheap way to run a quality inkjet printer.

Whilst CISS systems are available from a number of sources, http://www.cityinkexpress.co.uk
will give an idea of the system, the costs, and what printers it can support.

lebesset

Free Member
May 31, 2009
Funster No
absolutely no doubt in my mind ...brother
never touched mine since I installed it except to put in new cartridges , autocleans the jets it I have been away and it isn't used , no problems with clone cartridges , in a totally different class to anything else I have tried
unbeatable value for money

usual disclaimer

gdf

Free Member
May 14, 2009
Funster No
Brother Printers

Hi

Previously had an HP A3 printer and wanted an all in one. Brother produce an A3 all in one that will work on a network at a good price. Bought one.

What a load of rubbish. Print quality is very poor compared with the HP and it drinks ink. The network capability is only for 2 computers and it won't do photo quality any larger than A4.

Wouldn't buy again as a waste of money.

Dave

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I have a Canon IP4500 , I bought it to replace an aging Epsom.

I print out a lot of A4 glossy prints and the quality is fantastic.

One of the features I like is the ability to print directly on to CD and DVD printable discs.

I've been using cheap Asda cartridges, about £4 each and also refilling manually, even cheaper, and the print quality is still great, but only time will tell if the colours stay fast or not .. I would like to fit a CISS system, costs about £46.

Rate it 8/10

Mar 21, 2009
Harwich, Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
4 years
I have had various printers through business & home over the years. Found HP to be most reliable & economic for cartidges.
I would definetly go wireless if your computer has the capability. Prices have really come down but don't get a lexmark wireless as not good at comunicating with Vista as I've found out to my cost, works Ok with XP though.

dave jm

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
york
Funster No
Having had Epson printers for many years and found they are not only cheap to buy but also cheap to run...That said 3 months ago when looking around for another printer i came across this >>Link Removed I could not get over the quality this machine producess especially when printing photos compared to Epson...the only gripe at the moment is ink at £15 for a full set but like all new models that price will come down...Dave

Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
l have had a few Epson printers, and they don't seem to last. So l went with HP, and this one has lasted 2 years now no problem. The thing only cost £49.99 too!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back