Prince Philip surrenders driving license (1 Viewer)

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
has he surrendered it twice? there was a thread about it earlier

May 3, 2016
Ayrshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki
BBC News - Prince Philip, 97, gives up driving licence
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-47186875

Credit to him, I would hate to have to consider doing that.
The hardest thing for my Dad when he did that was handing me the keys so that I could drive him when he needed to go to hospital appointments......and yes I did tease him, he would have thought i'd gone daft if I didn't. Boy was he a backseat driver :whistle: and of course I told him to 'zip it Dad it's MY licence that driving' naturally he swore at me.(y) I wish he was still here to swear at me again.:cry::heartbreak:

Jan 28, 2016
Stockport, Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bravaria i740 AClass
Thank god he has given up.
Same thing happened to my dad lost control drove straight on across main road crashed through some double gates where children normally played ( they were having lunch) ended up wedged down side of garage car written off he had no idea what he had done nobody hurt but could of been a nightmare. Had to stop him driving sad but no other option.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Camdoon

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 22, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix Supreme
Exp
Call me cynical but.........I suspect it was a case of surrendering his licence, thus rendering any potential prosecution ‘not in the public interest’ ............watch this space.
Any prosecution/court would take into consideration that the person has taken action to ensure similar won't happen again. It is difficult for anyone to give up their licence - not giving up on things just because you reach a certain age helps you survive longer. Don't really know why we would be watching for anything to happen or not happen.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Its a brave and right thing to do in HIS case. At the other end of the scale, there are 18yr olds who are an absolute menace behind the wheel, Women who habitually TEXT while driving, and make "social" (Unimportant) calls, with a bunch of kids in the back (and front) seats. There is however NO pressure to make these morons give up their (Status symbol) cars/licences. I have to take a medical every 3 years just to retain a still completely CLEAN licence, have never had an accident that was attributable to ME, have driven just about every class of vehicle. But it cost me £90 JUST to keep driving. RAVING AGEISM, is what it is. We need a crowd funded case against the government to stop AGEISM, just like they have made Racism illegal.

mike mcglynn

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jan 6, 2008
St. Helens MERSEYSIDE
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick XL
Exp
A long time now
My father in law a former bus driver knew when it was time to give up his licence he gave it up when he was 80 as his reactions were not up to his usual standards and he realised it.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
The woman in the other car is milking the “fame” isn’t she?:rolleyes:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun