Prices up-web article (1 Viewer)

May 1, 2009
SOUTH WOODHAM FERRERS
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Campervan and caravan dealers are reporting booming sales as one area of the motor trade rides a wave of post-lockdown activity – with prices rising sharply.

Motorhome dealers, classified advertising websites and have seen interest in campervans and caravans skyrocket.

The surge in staycation planning in anticipation that the government will allow camping sites to reopen in July has seen buyers flock to a market already short on stock and prices are beginning to rise.

One campervan dealer told us he had sold a month’s worth of stock in the first week back after the lockdown while Auto Trader has reported caravan advert views up 18 per cent and motorhome adverts up 17 per cent.

Meanwhile, auctions are selling to the trade and well above predicted prices with bidding ‘frenzied’ among dealers scrabbling to replenish stock.
Pricing earlier this year was strong as dealers could not get hold of quality used stock and that was even before coronavirus. A number of factors combined then which saw stock dry up and that has got worse now.’

Vaughan said he thinks the biggest firming up of prices will be in the sub-£25,000 bracket.

‘That sort of money is where car buyers and those new to the sector look first,’ he explained.

‘£25k doesn’t get you a lot of motorhome, but comparable to a car it’s a lot of money, so it’s here that a combination of little stock and a lot of buyers will push prices up.’

Vaughan said most dealers are rushed off their feet ‘running around in tiny circles’ as they look to juggle huge demand with fewer staff.

Used motorhome dealer Bill Hayes is one of those. He has been selling motorhomes for 45 years in Darlaston and told Car Dealer he sold a month’s worth of stock in the first week of June alone.

‘There’s a lot of pent-up demand, but we had an amazing first week,’ he said. ‘I’m not surprised. Many are new to the market and we’ve sold models from £30,000-£60,000.

He also said the sub-£30,000 market is booming with models in that price bracket ‘selling almost immediately’.

‘We have just one motorhome for sale that’s around the £25,000 mark and it won’t last. Even dealers are calling us up wanting to buy it.’

BCA held its first exclusively online caravan and motorhome sale last week and reported that every lot sold – most for far in excess of their expected values.

Nearly 800 trade customers registered to bid for the auction, which was held on June 1, and activity was ‘frenzied’ at times.

Among the stars was a 2019-registered Bailey Autograph 79-4 Motorhome, which sold for £45,600 – more than £7,000 above the guide value.

Meanwhile, a 2012-registered Nu Venture Rio Motorhome sold for £24,100 – more than twice the guide value.

Dealer Hayes – who says this year has been ‘one of the strangest ever’ in his 45 years of trading – said he believed the lack of foreign holidays is certainly the reason he’s so busy.

Manufacturers are seeing the boom in interest too.

VW told Car Dealer Magazine that requests for quotes on its popular California model were up 250 per cent and Grand California up 100 per cent in April.

A VW spokesperson told us: ‘Web stats show this interest. During lockdown we saw a big increase in web traffic to our California and Grand California pages, so we know people are researching, configuring vehicles and starting to dream about getting out and about.’

Conversion companies are enjoying rising interest too – and tell us the post-lockdown surge comes on top of an already buoyant start to the year.

Adrian Cross, CEO of Hillside Leisure, which converts VW Transport and Crafter vans is currently 20 per cent up on sales year-on-year.

May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
It's daylight robbery time. A friend works for a motorhome dealer and they are selling well with most purchases on finance and BIG commissions from finance houses. In 6 months they'll be re possessing them.

Jun 12, 2016
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Globecar Revolution
Exp
Since 2006
Seems like a bubble to me
As others have said they have had three months of very small sales if any
Fine if you are planning to sell your van shortly
But all bubbles have a way of bursting or deflating in the end.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
There are a couple of threads already running on this topic.

Completely unscientific, but my neighbour wants to have a m/h and sold his caravan on Sunday within two hours of advertising it on eBay and it was paid for and collected the same day. For whatever reason (he didn't say) he said he's having such difficulty finding a suitable m/h that he wishes he'd kept it.
My m/h is in my drive and in the past 10 days I've had two callers knocking to ask if I want to sell it. They seemed to be dealers looking for a bargain to resell.

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
If the dealers are that busy I cringe to think what the PDIs will be like.

If they are being done at Bill Hayes' dealership they'll be 100% fine!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 6, 2016
Bury St Edmunds
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Chieftain
Exp
Since 2015
There are a couple of threads already running on this topic.

Completely unscientific, but my neighbour wants to have a m/h and sold his caravan on Sunday within two hours of advertising it on eBay and it was paid for and collected the same day. For whatever reason (he didn't say) he said he's having such difficulty finding a suitable m/h that he wishes he'd kept it.
My m/h is in my drive and in the past 10 days I've had two callers knocking to ask if I want to sell it. They seemed to be dealers looking for a bargain to resell.
We have had people knocking on door asking if ours is for sale, when told no, some have asked if gthey could hire it, that's a no as well.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back