Free Member
Jun 2, 2010
Melrose Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Hymer B774
Exp
Since 2010
We've been a bit surprised to find that the prices for food and diesel are more expensive in the Algarve than Spain. Are we shopping the wrong places? Even Lidl seemed dear.

Deleted User
Diesel is around 10c a litre dearer in Portugal, food in general roughly the same we find.

Pingo Doce have regular heavily discounted offers every week on lots of foodstuffs, meat, poultry, fish, just need a little searching out.

https://www.pingodoce.pt/folhetos/

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Diesel price at the mo is hardening in the 'ordinary' garages. Last week in the Algarve, Jumbo was 1.129 (i think) for diesel. Intermarche (the french lot) are competitive at around 1.159 and the smaller garage chains tend to be cheaper than Repsol and Galp.
Having said all that, it's cheaper than the UK and once you're here, there's not a lot of running around.
What they do have down here is Camperstops. Three in Silves, one in Falesia and one at Parque da Gale. Average price is about 8€ a night.
Yes we've done some 'wilding' and will do again but I've just looked in the CC mag and a CL in Cornwall is 16£ a night for a field and a tap.
I know where I'd rather be.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Mags52

Mags52

Free Member
Jun 2, 2010
Melrose Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Hymer B774
Exp
Since 2010
Diesel price at the mo is hardening in the 'ordinary' garages.
Yes we've done some 'wilding' and will do again but I've just looked in the CC mag and a CL in Cornwall is 16£ a night for a field and a tap.
I know where I'd rather be.
You're right - no competition really. ;)

Boycey

Free Member
Aug 14, 2016
Settle
Funster No
MH
Hi top
Exp
Sincw2014
We stay in Olhao one of those places where everyone says were not staying here long, then stay for several weeks and return year after because site is cheap. 9.5 euros a night if stay 30 days with dog and leccy. In town at market food cheap wine cheap coffee cheap, its not a tourist area yet you can jump on ferry to island and have best beaches in Algarve, Go to Alberfurie and all prices more than double

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
Even here the diesel has risen to 85c. It was 70c when we arrived 18 months ago. Hardly earth shattering, but it's going up everywhere :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back