Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
So the dealer makes twice as much as the manufacturer , is that how it works:winky:

The factory gate cost is the actual costs of manufacture ( labour and parts etc) before any profit is added.

So no, the dealer doesn't have the lions share of profit.

I suspect though that they get the lions share of hassle.

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
no there are taxes and delivery .
almost every business is based an at least 25-30 %of the price as profit . other wise they cant exist .
[HI]the question becomes . you buy something for a pound sell it for 1.50 . how much as a % have you made [/HI]?

50p...............:thumb::thumb: ............

......but I paid someone 60 p to sell it for me.......hmmmmmmn........:Doh::Doh:

Business is a tough game,,,,,,,,

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
Just had a quote to paint the woodwork in my hall stairs and landing
£400!
£20 of paint, £2 for a brush and £1 for sandpaper, and I bet if they bought the paint in bulk it would only cost £10.
Etc.....
Allan

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 10, 2012
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
Many moons ago I used to work on the markets down in Devon and sell cheese cloth shirts amongst other things (remember those days?) I would buy them for 50p and sell them for up to £2.99. It sounds a huge mark up but by the time you paid for the travel up to london to buy them, hotel if over night stay, someone's wages to keep the stall open when I was away buying and all admin work ,I had to work 7 days a week to make it pay . I did this for several years and had absolutly no social life :Sad: But shouldn't crumble all down to this wonderful life experience. Profit shouldnt be a dirty word but value for money is key.:thumb:

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Some clever buggers on here
I've just built a new house 8m x 8m and been very very carefull with costs and not got anywhere near your costs.
Why is it a hanging offence to make a profit nowadays? :Eeek:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
33% on return or 50% on cost

yes 33%. you havent made anything till its sold so %profit has to be based on the selling price , 50%mark up.
yet as another poster says it may have cosr 49pence to fetch carry etc that item .

hi forestboy . i,m with you . these days i,m told its a third for the plot with planning permission . a third for build costs . a third profit .
all sounds about right .
been looking at some land that as a run down galvanized shed or house on it . seems its got planning for a modern eco 4 bed bungalow value 350 ,000. the land you would think 5-10 grand . but now offers for about 120 grand .
think i may miss that one .

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Some peoples ideas on pricing is way off the mark :Eeek: for a start VAT more or less cancels itself out for the manufacturer it's only you the end buyer that gets clobbered ::bigsmile:
As a self builder I search around for bargains and as such don't pay as much as joe public off the street but still don't get nowhere near what manufactures pay :Eeek:
I know for a fact that 35% off retail prices for a panel van is the normal for manufacturers dicount.As such your 20k van has been bought for around say 13/ 14k :Smile:
PVC are a little more time consuming simply because you have to insulate and line the vans along with scribing units to fit van sides rather than simply fitting sq units to a sq wall (CB:winky:) after that all things are more or less the same.
I don't know how big a discounts they get from window, roof vent, cooker, loo, heater etc, makers but I don't think a 50% discount would be far off the mark for people buying bulk, simply because I know a couple of places that would buy end of run fridges, cookers etc from bigger manufacturer s that had bought say 100 fridges knowing they were only using 80 but it was cheaper to buy discounted 100 than a smaller discounted 80 ::bigsmile: then sell off 20 :winky:
I still have the list of everything I spent from glues, screws to window's, cookers and heaters etc.I spent 7.5k on new ( largely discounted :winky: )things for the van.When you look at it I bought everything interior and external for the 7.5k for a decently speced van so the manufacturer will be paying less :Eeek: but there overheads will be a lot more :Smile:
I know a smallish factory/storage place that pays 16k a year for rates thats before leccy and water etc, sure a small guy can convert a few vans a yr say 12 from a 100/150 quid a week place but when you start talking big places the overheads get bigger :Eeek:
Take a 35k van and it's got more or less the same stuff in it as a 60k van :thumb: probably same windows, loo fridge cooker etc the only thing that makes the 60 k van better is the fit and finish and name/perceived quality :Eeek::Eeek:::bigsmile: I could go on but ?
Terry

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Nowt wrong with profit. As the man said "The man that will work for nothing will never be short of something to do".

daisy mae

Free Member
Mar 12, 2013
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
C class Coachbuilt
Exp
I`m a newbie, now 1 year
I wasn`t moaning about the price of vans, just pointing out that smaller are more expensive, larger you get more for your money, still its horses for courses so they say.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
I guess the bottom line is, pay the dealers prices for the van you want knowing it has EU Type approval and has been rigorously tested so that it is safe to use, or build your own exactly how you want it.

Allan

Apr 12, 2011
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
Burstner ixeo t 590
Exp
4yrs
van price"s

Let just shut up and pay up or we would never buy anything:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
I guess the bottom line is, pay the dealers prices for the van you want knowing it has EU Type approval and has been rigorously tested so that it is safe to use, or build your own exactly how you want it.

Allan

what eu type approval. only the base vehicle will have that . so will a self build base vehicle . there is no type approval etc for the conversion . the converter might be manufacturer approved thats all. you may be misleading yourself and others .
easy mistake .

Tude

Free Member
Jan 29, 2012
Bolton
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
Read a couple of post on here on price of vans.took mine to brownhills got a part ex price against a new kontiki .new van £70k my van £36k I felt sick.went to Lincoln show new burstner or pilote slightly dearer than kontiki they both offered
£50k part ex .think brownhills were trying it on a bit do you.? How can there be £14k difference
Tude

daisy mae

Free Member
Mar 12, 2013
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
C class Coachbuilt
Exp
I`m a newbie, now 1 year
Brownhills haven`t a good report on servicing, weren`t interested when I went last year looking for a van, no part exchange, salesmen just standing around talking to each other.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Read a couple of post on here on price of vans.took mine to brownhills got a part ex price against a new kontiki .new van £70k my van £36k I felt sick.went to Lincoln show new burstner or pilote slightly dearer than kontiki they both offered
£50k part ex .think brownhills were trying it on a bit do you.? How can there be £14k difference
Tude

I had same experience with BROWNHILLS, My van plus £11500 to do the deal, went to HEART OF ENGLAND, same van same year in better condition £4000 to complete deal. BROWNHILLS ROB DOGS. BUSBY:Laugh

Ed Excel

Free Member
Nov 27, 2012
Ribble Valley
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Started 2007
Things changed on the 29th April last year vwalan.

Type approval for individual MH designs was introduced to provide a 'level playing field' for MH manufacturers throughout Europe and a price increase for all of us?

Last edited:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
just googled it . hardly something great though more about rear seat belts and the interior not having sharp edges in front of the rear most seat for traveling . but i really missed that . knew about the trailer and caravan bit .as there as been alot of mention on the teardrop caravan site . best just buy older vehicles etc . hee hee . hopefully mine will see me out . but not for along while yet . fingers crossed . turn my back for 6 months and miss it . ha ha .

Ed Excel

Free Member
Nov 27, 2012
Ribble Valley
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Started 2007
Apparently, the new regs won't affect PVCs but it's going to make small coach building expensive. Low volume assemblers will be able to get individual approval from VOSA, which, I assume, will include self builds also, although the document I saw wasn't specific in that area. I think it's 2014 when everyone will have to comply. How much will all this add to the price we pay?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back