price advertised v price paid? (1 Viewer)

Mar 23, 2017
Chudleigh, Devon
Funster No
MH
Compass Avantgarde 2
Exp
Im a newbie
Hi all, like many others we are looking to buy our first MH.

We are looking at dealers and private adverts of around £16-18,000. But I've really no idea how much we should expect to pay for something advertised at £18,000.

I've bought plenty of second hand cars for about £5,000 and a few houses (for more!) and kind of knew what sort of discount to expect but have no experience of buying what is effectively a second hand car for such a high price!

Can anyone share with me what they actually paid compared to advertised prices on a second hand MH, either from a dealer or private?

We have in mind a U shaped lounge 4 berth maybe 2001-2004? so possibly a Compass 200 or Swift?

androidGB

Free Member
Dec 28, 2009
Bristol
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2001
I'd suggest offering 10% under the asking price rounded down. If it was something I really wanted I'd be happy to pay 7.5% under the advertised price (assuming of course that the asking price was realistic)

Andrew

Upvote 0

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Off topic a bit but be aware 4 berth does not always mean 4 seat belts, just in case you need them. I would also aim at 10% off but its spring and people are starting to look so haggling may be harder. Best go on a rainy day.

Upvote 0
Oct 1, 2007
Kirby cross further from londin
Funster No
MH
Between Motor homes
Exp
since 08

We are looking at dealers and private adverts of around £16-18,000. But I've really no idea how much we should expect to pay for something advertised at £18,000.

I've bought plenty of second hand cars for about £5,000 and a few houses (for more!) and kind of knew what sort of discount to expect but have no experience of buying what is effectively a second hand car for such a high price!

Can anyone share with me what they actually paid compared to advertised prices on a second hand MH, either from a dealer or private?

We have in mind a U shaped lounge 4 berth maybe 2001-2004? so possibly a Compass 200 or Swift?

Barter is the word .!!
consider what you may need forte motor homing
Soler panels /battery /awning/gas bottles / hook up lead(ehu)
/ knives forks cups and plates
If they don't throw it in you'll eventually think of buying it
So use it as a bargaining chip half price is a bargain you won't get after the sale

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
i have sold more motorhomes & caravans than most members on here. I would not take an offer less than 10% off the asking price. theres trying to get a deal and taking the pee. there are plenty more buyers out there than most newbies think. it often takes missing out on one you like to realise

Upvote 0
D

deleted-member02

Deleted User
Research, research, research...
A seller will have a good idea of the van's value. There's little more frustrating than a potential buyer attempting to haggle to an unrealistic price.
Get to know what you want and how much it likely costs. An hours googling would be very helpful.
Good vans are hard to find, inevitably sell quickly and are seldom 'cheap'.

Good luck with it (y)

Upvote 0

barwik

Free Member
Oct 1, 2016
Barnoldswick
Funster No
MH
dont own one - yet !
Exp
Our Hymer was advertised for £37500 - ended up getting it for £31000 , I was disappointed not to get it for £30k - Couldn't fault the van at all and they were very nice people but genuinely ask yourself how many people are going to turn up with 15 - 20 or 30k of cleared funds ready to hand over - YOU are in the drivers seat - they can only refuse your offer - you can go up but not down !!

Upvote 0
Sep 15, 2015
Wales
Funster No
MH
Ci Riviera 141 2003
Exp
Been around!
Example asked 22k and I paid 18k. Advice.....look it over careful. Some panels and trims you cant get if they need replacing and a new fridge etc could be costly. Read history of vehical and just because they checked it dont assume they have or it works.

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2011
Not Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic eline
Exp
Since 2011

Can I just suggest that you look at European vans,like German. Less risk of a free bath or shower. ;)

Upvote 0
Jun 12, 2016
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Globecar Revolution
Exp
Since 2006
Its all a game
Some dealers start with prices way over what anyone should pay.
They may get lucky or they may haggle down a few thousand and still make plenty profit.
I've seen vans the same as our last one advertised at a higher price than what the dealers going rate was a couple of years ago for comparable age and milage.
There is nothing wrong with making a profit by some seem to be taking the pea

Upvote 0

Norfolk Nomad

Free Member
Feb 23, 2017
Feltwell
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2017
Can I just suggest that you look at European vans,like German. Less risk of a free bath or shower. ;)
I have got to agree on this, I looked at probably 60 motorhomes that had damp readings over 20 all British. I then started to look at German makes, big difference, only found one over 20.

Upvote 0
Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Yesterday morning I turned down a Stupid offer for our M/H, and again yesterday afternoon, told them the price we wanted, and how if it was in a dealers yard they would have to pay 3k more than what we were asking.
Also got a couple on the "I'm disabled so can't come to see it but will pay the asking price, plus a serving in Afghanistan,but yet to get the oil rig worker

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back