Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Nowt to do with Motorhomes or indeed, Fun LOL

You know when you or 'they' do presentations, is there anything other than annoying Powerpoint (after Powerpoint after Powerpoint as nauseam) but more modern than the trusty olde flipchart - that you can use?

Is there anything cutting edge - and preferably - BETTER ?

(If you have to write an App, forget it)

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
Prezi, google it.

Most of my presentations are Prezi'ed now and it's a really nice tool.

Also when I do use PowerPoint its on a Mac and Macs version of MS PowerPoint s so much slicker as a presentation tool although I think the last version of PC based PowerPoint has some of the Mac features.

What's your need for presentations and what don't you like about ppts ?

Last edited:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
When I started doing presentations it was in the days of overhead slides (which is basically all that Powerpoint is). I was taught to use other media (e.g. flip charts, physical examples of books/models &c) so that the slides didn't become ad nauseam.

The main thing with presentations (apart from knowing your subject of course) is to research your audience and pitch it as they need to receive it, using whatever tools are appropriate.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
Forgot to add that Smartboards are also good for dynamic presentations if you have your material clear in your head

OP
OP
sedge

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
LOL - I agree with you anyway! You shouldn't be.

I'm not actually making one; I am doing a Uni short course (and should I have to make one, it ain't a mystery to me, done shedloads of em over the years, invented training courses, delivered em, trained the trainers blah blah blah, Idiot cards with key words when delivering lectures yawn yawn yawn ...) and was gobsmacked to discover from a fellow student that a large part of yesterdays session (which I thankfully missed) was teaching Powerpoint.

I thought, I'm sure there is summat more modern than PP. And the answer is of course, Prezi. Thanks Ridgeway. I knew there was summat that was the current must-have - but couldn't recall what it was.

Do you know in a small enough group I reckon the flippy could make a come back, half the kids won't have seen one, will they? Esp if you draw cartoons ! Quite a novelty. :ROFLMAO:

Next - The Blackboard .....

Followed by - The Slate ......

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
I've integrated lots of RSA shorts videos into presentations and on one occasion used a Pro cartoonist to express the topic.

[ame="http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=u6XAPnuFjJc"]RSA Animate - Drive: The surprising truth about what motivates us - YouTube[/ame]

I really like using flip charts to explain a topic although my drawings and writing quality is poor, hence I practice like crazy to find simple diagrams that say a lot and I can draw easily.

Flip charts all the way and Smartboards forever !

OP
OP
sedge

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Well the thing about a flipchart (and a telescopic lightweight stand naturally!) is, you don't have to rely on technology at all do you? Esp when it's someone else's tech and they say eg just bring a memory stick, so you do - and then find summat doesn't work when you get there.

The battery goes down on their lappy and they can't find the mains lead, or it won't reach, tra lah lah ....

I'll see your OHP, and raise you an Epidiascope, Graham!

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
I remember my first presentation, acetates on an OHP, bloody hell started pointing to my bullet points with a pencil and my hand was shaking so much the shadow of it kept disappearing off the screen, it took quite a long time to be come proficient, in the early days I had to go to one of our factories in St Ettienne, I had done all the training on presentation skills, and knew about the ice breaker to start off with, I'd remembered a few years previous Liverpool had beaten St Ettienne in a European game so I decided to use this as my opening theme, I stood on a stage in front of 40 people including European Directors etc. not realising there are plenty of St Ettiennes in France and this one wasn't the one we had played against, I wished the stage had a trap door:Eeek:

Aug 30, 2012
Home of the war horse
Funster No
MH
burstnar T640
Exp
Power point

Power point is for instructors that don't know what they are teaching or old gifts like me that can't remember what they teach
I used to have one that was 50 slides now do do same one with 15
5 with text 10 with pictures works better for me
O and I hate slide numbers on displace
Death to power point

OP
OP
sedge

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
I was just thinking; actually there is supposed to be a presentation, it has to be 10 mins about something you've learned on the course. Only I shall miss that session.

But Oh how I would love to do a 10 min presentation on PP entitled 'Why I hate Powerpoint' All in black and white, no colour. First slide would be the title, then the following ones could follow 'Hangman' through until the chap is dangling. The final one would just day 'Fin' in grey.

:ROFLMAO:

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Prezi looks interesting - thanks for the info.

Nothing inherently wrong with Powerpoint - it's the way people use it that stinks. Normally far too many words, especially on bullet point charts. I don't make many presentations nowadays, but I always try to find image metaphors to illustrate the point rather than lines of text. Charts are support for the speaker after all. If you want people to read a lot of words, it's better to give them a book or a paper you have written.

Open Office also contains a presentation tool for all common platforms and for Mac users, Apple Keynote (part of iWork) can produce some very good visual presentations.

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
Death by Powerpoint! I have been to so many 'presentations' when all the speaker does is read verbatim the script on the slide! If I have to use PP I use vaguely connected pictures to emphasise the points,some of my travels!
Last week I was at a presentation by an experienced speaker and the set up,even though it had been tested,failed to launch!
Some organisations won't accept PP from contractors or potential employees.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back