Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Can any of you full timers tell what the problems might be in obtaining repeat prescription drugs for the time that you are away if it is more than the standard two weeks holiday period. I know that you CAN get a prescription brought forwards if you will be away when they run out, so that you can have them with you but what about when you go away for three months, Can you buy the necessary tablets in France or Spain etc or do they need a doctors visit over there. At the moment I get 56 days worth and that is it but that would run out on an extended trip.

phodetheus

Free Member
Jan 20, 2014
Full timer
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
3 months
Both myself and my wife are on a myriad of drugs (prescription not recreational) and its easy to get whatever you need in France and Spain (Spain is cheaper though). We just take our repeat prescription form along to a pharmacist and they will sell you what ever you need. No need to see a doctor.

roamingman

Banned
Mar 14, 2014
Angus
Funster No
MH
Coach build
Exp
2012, tents, caravan. 1990
We have had tablets form doctor for 6 weeks, one time we was held up in Spain because of brake down and was able to buy drugs in Spain we have also bought in other countries, jsut make sure you have a list of your tablets, should not be a problem.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

BwB

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 3, 2011
Suffolk UK
Funster No
MH
Resting b'twix vans
Exp
Since 1990
Let your surgery know in advance of your trip and they will normally let you have up to three months supply. Then take your prescription with you on holiday if your trip is going to last longer (as described above)

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
When we went to Morocco last year I went to to the surgery for my hepatitis and tetanus jabs and asked for 3 months worth of my prescription in advance. They don't like doing it, as I assume they get a payment every time the doc writes a single repeat prescription. In my case its blood pressure tablets - why can't they give me 12 months supply at a time, and just an annual check up and renewal? :swear: :swear::swear:

If ever there was a easy way of saving the NHS a fortune on administration and repetition, then this must be one of the simplest.:madder:

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
I assume they get a payment every time the doc writes a single repeat prescription
I renew online, I explained why I wanted 4 months worth, got them no argument though I expect the dispenser checked with the GP, they printed a separate prescription for each month so I had to sign all 4 when I went to collect the stuff.
Generally if you communicate honestly you'll get a sensible response, especially if they know your lifestyle and you've been on particular meds for a while.

Ed Excel

Free Member
Nov 27, 2012
Ribble Valley
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Started 2007
It's been alluded to earlier, but I think its worth adding, the chemists in Spain prescribe medication that we would need to get a note for in the UK.

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
It's been alluded to earlier, but I think its worth adding, the chemists in Spain prescribe medication that we would need to get a note for in the UK.
I second that, also in Portugal I have purchased Statins without having my prescription to hand.

peter marshall

Free Member
Mar 5, 2009
Cleveleys,Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
9 Years
Hi
When we go to Spain in Jan we get 3 Months from the doctor and buy any extra we need from a local chemist, we have bought in Spain and Portugal no probs, we also have our daughter collect our prescriptions for the Months we are still away after the 3 Months we got on leaving this can be a further 2 or 3 Months depending on our return, so on some later trips we have enough without buying abroad next trip. Pete

Ps I normally just take the empty box to the chemist when away

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
Same here, we get all Terrys prescription medicines over the counter here in Portugal and Spain when we were there. Just asked for them by name or show the box.

SUGGY

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 23, 2011
scunthorpe
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
i just tell the Doctor how long i am going to be away and he gives me a prescription for the duration.
Also it is worth getting a " Surgery Letter " confirming the drugs are for your own use , :cooler:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back