premium price for larger motorhome (1 Viewer)

lallymc

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 18, 2010
Co Durham
Funster No
Exp
1 year
Hi guys

we have just traded in for a new swift sundance 630 - we cant wait to get out and use it.

Have been on looking at the uk camping site and when i have gone on to tariffs it states that if you mh is longer than 24 feet the price goes up (quite a bit too).

Are all campsites the same or have i just hit unlucky with what ones i have tried

Thanks Lea :Smile:

Wintonian

Free Member
Nov 30, 2009
Brittany, France
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Isn't the overall length of the 630 L (6 berth) model 7.13m / 23' 5'' ? (Excl ladder, which is unlikely to matter on a campsite).

OP
OP
lallymc

lallymc

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 18, 2010
Co Durham
Funster No
Exp
1 year
thanks guys its just over 24 only slightly though

will go ahead and book :Smile:

OP
OP
lallymc

lallymc

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 18, 2010
Co Durham
Funster No
Exp
1 year
just checked on swift website new one is 24 ft 7 :Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

kennygd

Free Member
Dec 1, 2009
Anywhere in the UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Starting out fulltiming
:Smile:I found that on some sites they have a limit of 8 mtrs and any more than that they will charge an extra half pitch fee.
kennygd

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
Would never pay over for a big one, even our 32ft RV never got charged more. ::bigsmile:

I even call to see if they will charge more for a Toad, if the answer is yes, I tell em to stuff it. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Ambilkate

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 15, 2009
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
HYMER 654
Exp
since 2006
Hi, we have a 630 sundance and never paid extra on sites. Ours is 23ft but nearly 4yrs old, we have been told the new ones are slightly longer.

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
I'm a bit surprised at some of the replies on this thread.

To use an analogy......if your tiny 2 bed house with no land was charged exactly the same rates as a large 6 bed house with acres of land, I think you would be complaining, and rightly so. After all, why should the owner of the large 6 bedroomed house with acres of land get away with paying the same amount as you? Surely they should pay a lot more?

Every site owner is renting space on land to make profit as a business. If you take up twice the amount of space as your 'neighbour', then really you should be paying twice the amount that he is.....and not feel too disgruntled about it!
If so, get a smaller van!

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I'm a bit surprised at some of the replies on this thread.

To use an analogy......if your tiny 2 bed house with no land was charged exactly the same rates as a large 6 bed house with acres of land, I think you would be complaining, and rightly so. After all, why should the owner of the large 6 bedroomed house with acres of land get away with paying the same amount as you? Surely they should pay a lot more?

Every site owner is renting space on land to make profit as a business. If you take up twice the amount of space as your 'neighbour', then really you should be paying twice the amount that he is.....and not feel too disgruntled about it!
If so, get a smaller van!

Its not quite the same, as most vans will fit on a pitch, so its only if it so large it occupies more than one pitch that it would be justifiable to charge extra. If pitches are not marked then I suppose your argument could hold.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Its not quite the same, as most vans will fit on a pitch, so its only if it so large it occupies more than one pitch that it would be justifiable to charge extra. If pitches are not marked then I suppose your argument could hold.

I agree, but there is more to it than just the space occupied.. Site owners have got wise to the fact that large motorhomes and in particular USRVs can use a lot more water and electric ..

How so you ask ... well, take ours for example compared to a small euro van

Hot water tank .. 10 gal Euro van 3 gal ?
Fresh water .. 80 gal Euro van 20 gal ?

Which means we can use more hot water showering and washing up. We have it, so we use it.

Space electric heating .. depends on what is installed, but it stands to reason a large RV requires more energy to heat than a small Euro van . We have 2 x 1kw wall mounted oil filled rads.. + a 3kw fan for a quick blast. A small van would only need a half of that or less.

Full size domestic washing machine, 2.5 kw and uses aprox 55lt per wash ..
Many RVs ( not ours ) have a tumble drier and perhaps a dish washer..

Many larger Euro vans are now similarly equipped.

Unless a site owner installs leccy and water meters his only way offsetting these extra costs is to charge by size....

IMO the only fair way is to have leccy meters and charge the same for everyone, provided they fit on the standard pitch ..

This would also make those who have solar or don't need or want an ehu happy !

Last edited:

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
I agree with your point yet take camping sites for example and you find it's not only common but an accepted practice to charge more for someone pitching a 4 or 6 berth frame tent than the single guy with a small 2 man tent.

People with large motorhomes don't see it this way and expect to pay no more than the guy with a little campervan.

Feb 4, 2010
Mid. Glamorgan, S. Wales
Funster No
MH
Motorhutch / Toy Camper
Exp
Since 2010
Unless a site owner installs leccy and water meters his only way offsetting these extra costs is to charge by size....

Sounds good to me...how about adding another price band for vehicles under 4.5m? ::bigsmile:

When I stopped at Erwlon, near Llandovery, they took one look at little old me and the Doblo and charged me 2/3 pitch fee.......which was nice :thumb:. Mind you it was mid-March and I think I was the only person there, so it might have been pity...

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Sounds good to me...how about adding another price band for vehicles under 4.5m? ::bigsmile:

Fair enough, half price, share a pitch and shower with a friend :thumb:

or, park under a tuggers awning for free ... :roflmto:

on second thoughts.. perhaps not :Doh:

derekfaeberwick

Free Member
Dec 1, 2007
Berwick
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
9 Years
There's not many vans bigger than a car,caravan combo. Do they get charged extra?:Cool:

Prefer wildcamping me.:thumb:

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No

When I stopped at Erwlon, near Llandovery, they took one look at little old me and the Doblo and charged me 2/3 pitch fee.......which was nice :thumb:....
Only just realised where you get your id name from!!

A few years back I had and experience of one of these 'things'. I dropped on a real cheap one week holiday in Majorca at a bargain price and booked a Renault Clio. I arrived at Palma Airport only to be told "sorry we don't have the car you booked but we have a Fiat Doblo which we will let you have at the same price." I was given the key and told what floor it was on in the carpark. When I first saw it I just burst out laughing. It looked so damn ugly!!

Within a couple of days this ugly car had really won me over. Each time I drove it I found yet another storage pocket, infact the thing had pockets, shelves and so much storage space it was unbelievable.

The real clincher came when I drove across the island which involed a trip over the only mountain area in Majorca. The views were stunning and I was about to get my camera out when suddenly it began to pour down. I stood outside the car with the hatch up which formed a perfect shelter from the rain. I'm about 5'10" tall yet my head was nowhere near the tailgate.

An ugly looking vehicle.......but amazingly well thought out and so damn practical!

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Hi Lallymac

Glad to see you got a new van hope you have loads of fun in it and if you take the bumper off it should be under 24ft:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Gerry

Feb 4, 2010
Mid. Glamorgan, S. Wales
Funster No
MH
Motorhutch / Toy Camper
Exp
Since 2010
When I first saw it I just burst out laughing. It looked so damn ugly!!

HEY...b[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica][SIZE=-1]eauty is in the eye of the beholder!

I think it looks...er....hmm...uh....sigh....er...

...different.
[/SIZE][/FONT]

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back